Wiki Posts
Search

Scotland - Halloween and Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Scotland - Halloween and Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Day

I'll be flying into Edinburgh on Saturday October 29, the Saturday before Halloween (Monday October 31). I have read online that Halloween is a big deal in Scotland as it started there. I'll still be in Scotland the next Saturday, Nov. 5 which is Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Day.

I believe the Bonfire Night events will be on Nov 5 this year as it falls on a Saturday.

My questions are, is it worth it to partake in Bonfire Night in Edinburgh or better to spend it in whichever smaller town/city I end up scheduling for that day? If the day still involves a fair type event during the day followed by the bonfire and fireworks at night I have no problem making an entire day of it, I love experiencing local traditions like this. Presumably Edinburgh will be hosting some big events for the day, but maybe it's a holiday better spent elsewhere.

Is Halloween indeed a big deal in Scotland or am I just reading some overly enthusiastic articles? If it is a big deal, if anyone has any idea of what I might expect, I'd welcome your thoughts.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

St Andrews has a very large display over the Old Course and on the beach there will be many, many bonfires.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I had not considered the coast. Bonfires on the beach sounds amazing.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsuj25
I had not considered the coast. Bonfires on the beach sounds amazing.
Well, it could be raining a lot. Most coastal towns will have bonfires on the beach, but given 10,000 university students and a nice wide beach, St A tends to have more than most.
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I'll be flying into Edinburgh on Saturday October 29, the Saturday before Halloween (Monday October 31). I have read online that Halloween is a big deal in Scotland as it started there. I'll still be in Scotland the next Saturday, Nov. 5 which is Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Day.

I believe the Bonfire Night events will be on Nov 5 this year as it falls on a Saturday.

My questions are, is it worth it to partake in Bonfire Night in Edinburgh or better to spend it in whichever smaller town/city I end up scheduling for that day? If the day still involves a fair type event during the day followed by the bonfire and fireworks at night I have no problem making an entire day of it, I love experiencing local traditions like this. Presumably Edinburgh will be hosting some big events for the day, but maybe it's a holiday better spent elsewhere.

Is Halloween indeed a big deal in Scotland or am I just reading some overly enthusiastic articles? If it is a big deal, if anyone has any idea of what I might expect, I'd welcome your thoughts.
When I was growing up in the 70s, we certainly celebrated Halloween, but not in the Halloween-brought-to-you-by-Hersheys American sense. We typically dunked for apples, made lanterns from turnips and possibly dressed up a little.

These days, the US consumer fest seems to have spread across the globe so you will find elements of it Scotland and the rest of the UK - certain restaurants and bars will definitely get in on the act. Trick-or-treat exists, but you will not see hundreds of little kids dressed up being walked around neighbourhoods filling their buckets with candy as you likely would in US cities.
farci and fsuj25 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Not every event will be on the 5th. Some will be on the Friday or the Sunday of the weekend.
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted above - our family there take their kids out for a bit of trick or treating and there might some commercial stuff going on but Halloween in no way resembles what happens in the US.
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt;[url=tel:34484835
34484835[/url]]When I was growing up in the 70s, we certainly celebrated Halloween, but not in the Halloween-brought-to-you-by-Hersheys American sense. We typically dunked for apples, made lanterns from turnips and possibly dressed up a little.
this would be exactly the kind of experience I am looking for if it can still be found.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear;[url=tel:34485018
34485018[/url]]Not every event will be on the 5th. Some will be on the Friday or the Sunday of the weekend.
Good to know
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I was in Aberfeldy last week and noticed that there is a Halloween event at the Crannog Centre in Kenmore - see link and scroll down to 31 October.
https://visitaberfeldy.co.uk/events/...crannog-centre

OP, depending on where you are going to be on the 31st, you might want to search for something similar. Good luck!
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt;[url=tel:34631889
34631889[/url]]I was in Aberfeldy last week and noticed that there is a Halloween event at the Crannog Centre in Kenmore - see link and scroll down to 31 October.
https://visitaberfeldy.co.uk/events/...crannog-centre

OP, depending on where you are going to be on the 31st, you might want to search for something similar. Good luck!
Thank you! I googled the name of the festival and it is indeed the ancient Celtic fall feast that according to Wikipedia is believed to have morphed into Halloween.

I’m not huge into Halloween or paganism but if I’m there during Halloween and I can somewhat piece together the ancient origins of a modern tradition, that would be so cool to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.