Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Why are airports named London not in London?

Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

Among 6 "London" airports, only 2 of them are actually within London. Some of them are so far away that you can't even use an Oyster card to take a train there.

I think it's misleading to call them London airports, for example, Gatwick Airport serves Brighton as well as London, while Stansted / Southend airports are so far away from London that those living in SW London are better off going to Southampton Airport instead if not Heathrow / Gatwick.

Why are those airports grouped within LON despite some of them so far away from London that it's basically a long trek to another region of England?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because they only want to be associated with London as it is the only place worth visiting in the U.K.?

😉
LCY8737 and lhrsfo like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Airports are designated for metropolitan areas not necessiarily a specific city.

SFO isn't even in the City & County of San Francisco (even though they are the owners) for example.

AMS isn't in the Amsterdam City area and CDG isn't in Paris
farci, etiene and maccymac like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Ryanair fly (or at least flew) to Vienna(bratislava) which was not even in the same country.

most of the world would not know where southend or luton were in relation to the rest of england and it before the internet and google maps it was not so easy to figure out. So london luton is much easier
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
This isn't unique to London. Look at NRT. And neither of Washington DC's airports (IAD & DCA) are actually in DC. BWI isn't in Baltimore City or Baltimore County.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
Among 6 "London" airports, only 2 of them are actually within London. Some of them are so far away that you can't even use an Oyster card to take a train there.

I think it's misleading to call them London airports, for example, Gatwick Airport serves Brighton as well as London, while Stansted / Southend airports are so far away from London that those living in SW London are better off going to Southampton Airport instead if not Heathrow / Gatwick.

Why are those airports grouped within LON despite some of them so far away from London that it's basically a long trek to another region of England?
Your point is rather baseless. I live in pretty much central London (N1/EC1) and all six airports are near enough the same for me in terms of accessibility. LCY feels the closest but I rarely get to use it, though nor do I use SEN tbf.

There is indeed a case for making SOU a London airport too given how easy it is from Waterloo.

The fact that many millions of Londoners and visitors to London use the outer airports to get to from/London every year suggests that they are doing what they say on the tin.
Neboxod likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Look up London Ashford airport (Lydd Airport) in East Kent if you want an extreme example of this. No where near London and with minimal transport links (unless you count the RHDR miniature steam railway). Then there was London Manston near Margate - now a lorry park.
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
Look up London Ashford airport (Lydd Airport) in East Kent if you want an extreme example of this. No where near London and with minimal transport links (unless you count the RHDR miniature steam railway). Then there was London Manston near Margate - now a lorry park.
Also, London Oxford airport is 62 miles from London…
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And as for the original London Bridge, well.....
farci and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: LH SEN
Wait 'til you find out about "Frankfurt"-Hahn...
BearX220, farci, USA_flyer and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:29 am
formerly rt23456p

Beijing Daxing's surrounding doesn't even belong to Beijing, but belong to Hebei...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Visit the "Denver" airport sometime. Spoiler: it's nowhere close to Denver.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's because they are the airports which serve London.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
SFO isn't even in the City & County of San Francisco (even though they are the owners) for example.
Burlingame International Airport doesn't have the same ring.

Could you imagine if DTW was called Romulus International Airport?

Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Visit the "Denver" airport sometime. Spoiler: it's nowhere close to Denver.
But didn't the city annex all of the land leading out to and surrounding the airport? It makes for a very odd city boundary, but I don't think that this is technically true; DEN actually is in Denver, Colorado.

While I completely agree with the OP, this same thing is also commonplace for sports teams. Don't even get me started on the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.