Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Tips for securing an appointment for premium passport service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for securing an appointment for premium passport service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Question Tips for securing an appointment for premium passport service?

Hi FT,

I'm now in a window where I won't be travelling for 9 weeks and based on the rules for the EU / expiry of my passport means I need to renew this year.

With the delays in the standard service I wanted to opt for either the same-day or 1-week services available. The gov.uk website suggests there's no appointments for the same day service due to covid (?) but that the 1-week service is operating. Problem is every time I go to get an appointment there's no availability anywhere, not just my local office which is London.

Does anyone have any suggestions of best times to check for appointment or tips on how they got theirs?

Any help appreciated, thanks FT

Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Daughter just kept checking every 30 mins or so. Eventually something turned up. She couldn't see any particular pattern to timings, if such a thing does exist.
jbee36 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jbee36
Hi FT,

I'm now in a window where I won't be travelling for 9 weeks and based on the rules for the EU / expiry of my passport means I need to renew this year.

With the delays in the standard service I wanted to opt for either the same-day or 1-week services available. The gov.uk website suggests there's no appointments for the same day service due to covid (?) but that the 1-week service is operating. Problem is every time I go to get an appointment there's no availability anywhere, not just my local office which is London.

Does anyone have any suggestions of best times to check for appointment or tips on how they got theirs?

Any help appreciated, thanks FT

Some ideas in this very recent thread, including following the UK appointments bot on twitter:
BA Holidays and delayed passport
jbee36 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I would suggest you don’t. I tried for 3 weeks without success (I was abroad at the time), as I understand it they add the appointment for 3 weeks time at or around midnight, outside of that you are reliant on a cancellation. So if you take 3 weeks to find an appointment, it’s in 3 weeks time and the passport takes a week that’s 7 weeks. According to U.K. passport waiting, current average time for a renewal is 26.21 days so quicker to send by the standard route.
jbee36 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have been checking frequently for an appointment to replace a lost passport. Last Saturday I got an appointment for 8:30am on the Tuesday (Glasgow, handy enough for me) and it arrived yesterday.

Keep checking and rechecking is all I can advise from my experience.
jbee36 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:08 am

In January I had to renew for a trip in April and it came back within 5 days of application.

I got married in April and renewed again, this time it was 8 days (applied early July)

Both times it was Bootle office, they seem very efficient.

Hubby did his in Feb and it was 4 weeks - was Durham office.

Not sure which office you are dealing with but not all bad!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
In January I had to renew for a trip in April and it came back within 5 days of application.

I got married in April and renewed again, this time it was 8 days (applied early July)

I think Durham is where all overseas renewals go so they have a rather wider client base. That's where mine from the US went but they were quite fast. The US postal service was another matter!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Deleted

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jul 17, 2022 at 3:30 pm Reason: Thread moved so comment not valid
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Straightforward renewals, using the online service, are normally taking a lot less than 10 weeks. Unless you can secure a slot very soon, perhaps using the Twitter bot mentioned in the other thread, I would use the normal online service. You are more likely to get a quick renewal if the outgoing passport is only just expired / near expiry, and if you haven't changed appearance greatly. If you are at the same address, or at an address with plenty of cross references such as being on the Electoral Roll, will also help. The problem cases are first ever passports - so children typically - and cases that need investigation (e.g. counter-signatories, which doesn't apply for most renewals). Belfast is the office under the least pressure, and it's easy to get to.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:44 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
According to South Today the other day, passports are taking 13+ weeks in some cases. There are apparently plenty of folk who submitted their renewals in April and May and have received nothing as yet. That 26.21-day average period seems a trifle optimistic.

It seems that if you can manage to persuade your MP to intervene with the Passport Office on your behalf, passports are then received back almost by return..... But of course that only applies to those who have been waiting for three months and more.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LucyK1806

I sent mine off for renewal, end of February, to Bootle and it took ~25 days.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
More anecdotal positive evidence - we got our child's first passport in under 4 weeks in April/May.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Each office has different processing times so quoting personal examples won't help.

There is a Twitter account you can follow which automatically notifies you when slots open up - not sure what the account is but should be easy to find.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
I desperately need another passport because although mine doesn’t expire until next year, I would not meet EU criteria for entry and have lots of travel planned. I have been trying to get an appointment for weeks but could only find appointments for Belfast and Glasgow for one week fast track. Appointments usually appear just before 9 am BST and late afternoon.

On a different thread someone also suggested following Passport Office on Twitter., which I signed up to on Friday. Got notified this morning at about 9am. Lots of appointments but none for London. Got another notification late this afternoon for London appointments. There were at least 15 per day for week around 5 August. .
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
I was in the identical position, having to renew to be EU compliant. I was almost bored checking appointments for London Victoria all day every day for about a month and then a whole load popped up for Fast Track. I went for a very quick and easy interview on Jul 6. I was astonished when the passport arrived on July 9! Keep trying and good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.