Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Help me plan my 10 hour layover at LHR

Help me plan my 10 hour layover at LHR

Old Jun 23, 22, 10:52 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,338
Help me plan my 10 hour layover at LHR

I知 flying DFW-LHR-DXB, which gives me a 10-hour morning-to-night layover. I値l have a carry-on suitcase and computer bag, unless I decide to check the suitcase to accommodate my layover plan. (Question 1: Can I check my bag landside at T5 10 hours before my connection or should I just check it at DFW?)

I知 thinking of lunch and a museum, unless anyone knows of any good theatre on a Thursday afternoon.

For lunch I知 thinking either The Wigmore (among other things I love their XXL stovetop 3 cheese & mustard toastie!), Blocklock (yes they have great steaks, but I love their burger), or the chippy in Mayfair that I really like.

Afterwards the surrealism show at the Tate Modern looks appealing. (I still miss the punk rock exhibit at the British Museum. That was so extraordinary!)

Thoughts?!?!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by Blumie; Jun 23, 22 at 11:04 am
Blumie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:54 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 16,222
Hi,

Some suggestions

(1) Lounge hop ( inc possibly go to T3 immediately on arrival at T5 for Qantas and Cathay then back to T5)
(2) Hotel day room
(3) Visit London or Windsor for example

Regards

TBS

PS Bags can be checked in at any time during the day at LHR

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 23, 22 at 11:11 am
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:01 am
  #3  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,848
An older thread but a few ideas.

10 hour layover at LHR - time for a quick trip to London?

https://traveladdicts.net/london-on-a-long-heathrow-layover/
orbitmic likes this.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 479
Lots of London theatres have Thursday matinees:

https://www.westendtheatre.com/ticke...sday-matinees/

Get yourself straight to the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and nab some discounted tickets on the day.
becks1 likes this.
GumshoeW12 is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:06 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,338
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
Lots of London theatres have Thursday matinees:

https://www.westendtheatre.com/ticke...sday-matinees/

Get yourself straight to the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and nab some discounted tickets on the day.
Thanks! Good to know.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,844
You can get to Windsor in circa 40 mins via the new Purple Line/Elizabeth line / Crossrail (3 names for the same thing)

You change at Hayes and then at Slough for a shuttle train to Windsor. The dining options in the town are not great (sadly aimed at tourists) so the recently opened Ivy brasserie is the best bet.

You then have the option of the castle, a lovely walk by the river thames and visiting Eton college (famous private school in the UK) which has beautiful buildings and grounds.

If feeling adventurous, you can get a taxi back to LHR via these two amazing pubs for lunch / early dinner

The Loch & The Tyne by Adam Handling Old Windsor

or

The Bailiwick - Free House


alternatively, you could go to Virginia waters / Saville gardens and enjoy one of the most beuatiful public parks in the area. Its a lovely walk and joins upto Windsor great park (so lots of different routes and options).

Nearby is the new https://www.fairmont-windsorpark.com/ fairmont hotel - afternoon tea or cocktails

Anyway, have fun
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I知 flying DFW-LHR-DXB, which gives me a 10-hour morning-to-night layover.
Thoughts?!?!
Personally would hop on the Heathrow Express, which takes you to Paddington and then wander locally or take the District Line to South Kensington and take in one of the many museums?
chriswiles is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 9,555
Definitely doing something cultural in London …. Before Dubai
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I知 flying DFW-LHR-DXB, which gives me a 10-hour morning-to-night layover. I値l have a carry-on suitcase and computer bag, unless I decide to check the suitcase to accommodate my layover plan. (Question 1: Can I check my bag landside at T5 10 hours before my connection or should I just check it at DFW?)

I知 thinking of lunch and a museum, unless anyone knows of any good theatre on a Thursday afternoon.

For lunch I知 thinking either The Wigmore (among other things I love their XXL stovetop 3 cheese & mustard toastie!), Blocklock (yes they have great steaks, but I love their burger), or the chippy in Mayfair that I really like.

Afterwards the surrealism show at the Tate Modern looks appealing. (I still miss the punk rock exhibit at the British Museum. That was so extraordinary!)

Thoughts?!?!
The Wigmore toastie is excellent. If you can't get a reservation, this is the advice I got from them in December - "Should you are not able to find availability to book online, we highly recommend to come at 12pm when we open the door and start our lunch service". That worked for us. Enjoy!
becks1 likes this.
GogLobster is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:07 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,338
These are great suggestions. Thank you very much. Keep them coming!
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
You can get to Windsor in circa 40 mins via the new Purple Line/Elizabeth line / Crossrail (3 names for the same thing)

You change at Hayes and then at Slough for a shuttle train to Windsor. The dining options in the town are not great (sadly aimed at tourists) so the recently opened Ivy brasserie is the best bet.

You then have the option of the castle, a lovely walk by the river thames and visiting Eton college (famous private school in the UK) which has beautiful buildings and grounds.

If feeling adventurous, you can get a taxi back to LHR via these two amazing pubs for lunch / early dinner

The Loch & The Tyne by Adam Handling Old Windsor

or

The Bailiwick - Free House


alternatively, you could go to Virginia waters / Saville gardens and enjoy one of the most beuatiful public parks in the area. Its a lovely walk and joins upto Windsor great park (so lots of different routes and options).

Nearby is the new https://www.fairmont-windsorpark.com/ fairmont hotel - afternoon tea or cocktails

Anyway, have fun
I did the Windsor/Eton tour when I first visited London 35 years ago, so I don't feel the need to do it again. But those pub recommendations sound great!

Originally Posted by chriswiles View Post
Personally would hop on the Heathrow Express, which takes you to Paddington and then wander locally or take the District Line to South Kensington and take in one of the many museums?
That could work well if I decide on one of my lunch destinations, each of which would be a reasonable walk from Paddington. If it's not raining of course.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Definitely doing something cultural in London …. Before Dubai
I'm spending most of my time in Abu Dhabi, but nonetheless it's a point well taken!
Originally Posted by GogLobster View Post
The Wigmore toastie is excellent. If you can't get a reservation, this is the advice I got from them in December - "Should you are not able to find availability to book online, we highly recommend to come at 12pm when we open the door and start our lunch service". That worked for us. Enjoy!
I've never had trouble getting in to the Wigmore without a reservation for a weekday lunch, but I'd likely get there around 12pm nonetheless.
mikeyfly likes this.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:18 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,921
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
You can get to Windsor in circa 40 mins via the new Purple Line/Elizabeth line / Crossrail (3 names for the same thing)

You change at Hayes and then at Slough for a shuttle train to Windsor. The dining options in the town are not great (sadly aimed at tourists) so the recently opened Ivy brasserie is the best bet.
There are buses from T5 direct to Windsor that are far more convenient than that routing. And there are some great non-touristy eateries if you walk even just a few mins from the high street, a quick Google will help there.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Confus is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:24 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,338
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
There are buses from T5 direct to Windsor that are far more convenient than that routing. And there are some great non-touristy eateries if you walk even just a few mins from the high street, a quick Google will help there.
As noted above, I did the Windsor tour 35 years ago. Then again I'll be back in London proper later in the month, so perhaps a meandering around Windsor would be a good alternative.
Blumie is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:36 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,231
Elizabeth line to paddington, bakerloo line to waterloo then do the london eye and their assiociated thames river tour

Depending on the time you have, some lunch on the south bank or dim sum in chinatown
scottishpoet is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:27 pm
  #14  
jmd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jersey
Programs: BAEC gold
Posts: 367
Personally I would suggest doing something more uniquely ‘London’ rather than Tate Modern. If it’s art you want then either the Sir John Soane Museum or the Foundling hospital at Coram’s Fields. Or, if you like historic architecture, a walking tour of the Sir Christopher Wren churches in the City of London (just pick a few and have a wander - Google is your friend…)
jmd is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:38 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 420
I would never say no to a lunch in Blacklock, absolutely fantastic establishment.

I知 going to go a bit rogue and say you can get some of the best burgers in London at the Lord Nelson in Southwark, which would work well with the Tate Modern.

It痴 Very edgy, informal atmosphere, but good food. Also large selection of craft beer.

Lord Nelson
020 7207 2701
https://goo.gl/maps/1ULr2Xwc3D349yKS6

If you get delayed or can稚 be bothered to go far from Paddington on the day, the Paddington basin is nice.

There is a good beer selection and interesting food on the Darcy May green barge, if the weather is nice, you can sit on the roof.
jmd, CarefreeBA and WSTC like this.
Joshm300 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread