Wiki Posts
Search

Help LTN vs. LGW to BOD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K *G
Help LTN vs. LGW to BOD

Hi Flyertalk! Canadian traveller here looking for some advice on which airport to fly out of on our journey to Bordeaux. Luton, or Gatwick?

Some considerations:
- My partner and I will be staying and leaving from the Pan Pacific London near Liverpool Street tube station
- We plan to depart at 10:30 AM, which would get us at the airport approx 11:30 AM
- We will have a carry on luggage each, plus one large check in luggage

I am hoping for some advice based on:
- Length of trip to airport (they both look about 1 hour on Google Maps - is this true?)
- Any issues currently with airport delays / long security lines / cancellations?
- Ease of transport
- Cost

Thank you in advanced!

Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you flown a EU low cost airline before?
Familiar with London transport?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordea...rignac_Airport

More civilised way travel. But needs a station change. Consider point to point, including airport security and waiting time
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train...on-to-bordeaux
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have you flown a EU low cost airline before?
Familiar with London transport?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordea...rignac_Airport

More civilised way travel. But needs a station change. Consider point to point, including airport security and waiting time
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train...on-to-bordeaux
I have flown EasyJet / RyanAir before and am aware it is a pretty no frills experience.
We did briefly look at the train options seem to be 6.5 - 7 hours which would maybe be 30 min - 1 hour more than a smooth airport experience. Would that be your recommendation over a budget airline?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
There's also a Ryanair flight from STN to BOD on the 4th, leaving at 1125 which would allow you to take the Stansted Express directly from Liverpool St station. No crossing London, no faffing around with the bus to LTN from the "airport" train station.
tootsieroll48 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I would always avoid LTN. Personally I would take the train. There is a better chance that it will get there.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been widely reported in the British press today Gatwick has just announced that the flight schedule will be further trimmed this summer. Expect some additional cancellations.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
There's also a Ryanair flight from STN to BOD on the 4th, leaving at 1125 which would allow you to take the Stansted Express directly from Liverpool St station. No crossing London, no faffing around with the bus to LTN from the "airport" train station.
Second Stansted as the best option from where you are. If not, avoid Luton. Always avoid Luton. From Liverpool Street Elizabeth line to Farringdon and ThamesLink to Gatwick.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful feedback. The earlier RyanAir flight is not an option for us as we cannot leave earlier. We have decided on the Eurostar and TGV connection. Thank you!
DaveS, DCJoe1, Mwenenzi and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

So in an unfortunate turn of events… our Eurostar train got cancelled and now we are flying EasyJet from Gatwick instead 😒

Not sure what the reason for cancellation is… I’ve seen strike notices on the tube. Is this related?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by tootsieroll48
So in an unfortunate turn of events… our Eurostar train got cancelled and now we are flying EasyJet from Gatwick instead 😒

Not sure what the reason for cancellation is… I’ve seen strike notices on the tube. Is this related?
You are not having much luck there! I think you have found one of the best options at the current time. I don't think there is any direct strike impact on Eurostar services though they did reduce the schedule on the previous strike days, presumably because of reduced demand. I would guess Eurostar are facing staff shortages/absences just like the airlines and are having to reduce services accordingly.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My general theory has been to avoid LTN at all costs, but my recent visit to LGW has meant that I now avoid LGW if at all possible. Also, be aware that they are rebuilding the station at LGW and this has temporarily slowed down the process of getting from the platform to check in.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm probably less anti-LTN than others here (as it's my local airport, and I used to work on the airport site), but you have to know its vagaries to get on with it. I've always found security pretty friendly and efficient there. Departures is pretty poor - you won't get a gate until 20-odd minutes before, so there'll be starting blocks by the Pret, and an undignified scrum to airport-speed-walk to the gate (especially if you're on Ryanair, using the distant "roundhouse" gates where they make you queue up outside, no matter the weather). The rest of the departures area resembles an unloved motorway services, so I usually just find myself a table in Pret (if quiet) or Wasabi, as I quite like their mochi. Book priority boarding, then you can avoid the scrum to the gates, and the eternal queue actually at the gate, it's just a bit more relaxed. Arrivals are OK - never had a serious queue at immigration there (again, this is pre-rona/brexit) and there's an M&S Simply Food to get your tea and a pint of milk on the way home.

Gatwick, though... Again, last time I was there (North Terminal, U2 to NCE), I thought it was excellent - particularly through the eyes of someone travelling with a small child. Lots of well located family parking (though half of it was occupied by taxi drivers), the easyJet bag drop was huge and very well run, even with a relatively complex check-in, there was a dedicated family security area which was fast and friendly, and the baby-changing toilets were right there are you got in. Little play area too. However, Gatwick always changes character in the summer holidays!

But yes, personally, I'd take the train at the moment. Schiphol sounds painful too! I'm just hoping my midweek, midday U2 flight from LGW to Italy in August isn't too awful (and does actually go ahead...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.