Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

STN- when to arrive for mid-day flight

Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Hello all, we have a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Italy in early August on a Wednesday- flight is at 12:15 PM. We have already paid for checked bags and plan on dropping them off right after arriving at the airport. It seems like a mid-day flight on a Wednesday would be a relatively light travel time, with the caveat of the crazy summer of 2022. Would it be reasonable to aim for the Stansted Express train that arrives at 10:34? We are US citizens with 2 children, including one who is under 12, which I think means we can't use e-gates (are there e-gates for non-UK/EEA citizens on departure?). Is 1:40 enough time, or should we make sure we get there at least 2 hours before? I should say we aren't the type to get stressed or anxious about reasonably tight timelines, but also don't want to push our luck.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Hello all, we have a Ryanair flight from Stansted to Italy in early August on a Wednesday- flight is at 12:15 PM. We have already paid for checked bags and plan on dropping them off right after arriving at the airport. It seems like a mid-day flight on a Wednesday would be a relatively light travel time, with the caveat of the crazy summer of 2022. Would it be reasonable to aim for the Stansted Express train that arrives at 10:34? We are US citizens with 2 children, including one who is under 12, which I think means we can't use e-gates (are there e-gates for non-UK/EEA citizens on departure?). Is 1:40 enough time, or should we make sure we get there at least 2 hours before? I should say we aren't the type to get stressed or anxious about reasonably tight timelines, but also don't want to push our luck.
There is no passport control / egates on the way out of the UK.

If you were hand luggage then i think 10:34 would be fine, but as you want to check bags i would probably aim for the train 15 minutes (or maybe even 30 minutes) earlier.

Bag drop can be unpredictable at STN. Sometimes quick, sometimes lengthy queues
farci and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pay for Fastrack; take a train 30mins earlier. IIRC non U.K./EU passport holders have to visit a desk to have their docs checked too? Mid August will be busy due to the school holidays regardless of day.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Pay for Fastrack; take a train 30mins earlier. IIRC non U.K./EU passport holders have to visit a desk to have their docs checked too? Mid August will be busy due to the school holidays regardless of day.
As they are checking in bags the doc check will be done when bags are checked in, no need for a separate docs check desk visit.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Is there Fast Track at STN right now? It says this on the website.

"We are currently unable to offer our Security FastTrack service to customers. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there Fast Track at STN right now? It says this on the website.

"We are currently unable to offer our Security FastTrack service to customers. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."
hmmm. A friend used it at the weekend but it might have been part of his ticket. Looks like they have suspended selling access. Apologies!
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:02 am
Original Poster

hmmm. A friend used it at the weekend but it might have been part of his ticket. Looks like they have suspended selling access. Apologies!
No worries. Looks like LHR arrival Fast Track isn't available either, which is frustrating because we have an under-12 year old and thus can't use the e-gates, but will be arriving on business class and thus should have Fast Track access. Hopefully at 10 AM the border won't take too long.

I think we will aim for the 10:14 STX arrival, a full 2 hours before departure. Thanks all.

Edit: I misinterpreted the LHR Fast Track web page. Looks like Fast Track at LHR is open, but not for purchase, only for airline partners, so we should have access at Arrivals.

Last edited by DCJoe1; Jun 16, 2022 at 10:14 am Reason: New info
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Was able to add/purchase Fast Track when doing online check-in for flight. I think the $9/person cost is worth it to reduce the chances of being delayed/late with the current chaos.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Was able to add/purchase Fast Track when doing online check-in for flight. I think the $9/person cost is worth it to reduce the chances of being delayed/late with the current chaos.
Problem can be that at $9 many others are taking the same approach, so sometimes the fast track is slower than the normal queue, especially when you get a few DYKWIAs in fast track for the first time. Make sure you eyeball the queues before choosing your fate.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Follow-up with the result. Got to the airport train station at 10:14- took a while to exit because they checked tickets on the platform? Very strange. Dropping bags took about 15 minutes, and then security was only about 10 minutes. We had more than enough time to grab some food and get ripped off on exchanging my last few GBP to EUR.
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Follow-up with the result. Got to the airport train station at 10:14- took a while to exit because they checked tickets on the platform? Very strange.
Why is it strange to check that train passengers have a ticket?
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by :D!
Depends which ticket. When I read it the first time I assumed it was an airline ticket, but after your comment I guess it could equally be a train ticket which would make more sense #falseassumption
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
Perfectly normal to have a gate line check (either human or machine) on exiting a platform, no?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Perfectly normal to have a gate line check (either human or machine) on exiting a platform, no?
Personally never had that happen before on a National Rail-type train- tickets either scanned on entry to the platform, or on board. The issue was that so many people exited here, and they had only two people scanning tickets, so it took a solid 5 minutes to exit the platform, and we were in the middle. This wasn't a situation where there were 10 faregates with quick scanning you got through in a few seconds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.