Wiki Posts
Search

Rail strikes AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Cool

Originally Posted by 13901
On the topic of strikes: in addition to the July 21st rail & Tube strike, I noticed today a sign at my local Tube station informing that selected stations might close between now and July 10th owing to further industrial action.
This makes me look forward to my trip to London even more..... Any further information on what that's going on impact?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
This makes me look forward to my trip to London even more..... Any further information on what that's going on impact?
It feels a bit like Schrodinger's cat. Some stations might be closed, or might be open. You'll discover it only by looking/checking.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:56 am

It feels a bit like Schrodinger's cat. Some stations might be closed, or might be open. You'll discover it only by looking/checking.
ROTFLMAO

Thanks for putting this in perspective.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Oh and you can bet that although the 20th, 22nd, 24th and 26th are not strike days, the evening service on the day preceding the strike and the morning service on the day after each strike day will have some variable choas because the trains have not been stabled in the right places, crews clock on and off at times that interfere with the adjacent days service, etc.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Quantum stations perhaps?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Quantum stations perhaps?
And while we're on that topic, Tube trains follow Heinsenberg: you either know where you are (most likely stuck at a red signal) or how fast you're going.

Anyway, I've just been told I have a must-attend meeting on the 21st in Belgium. D'oh.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Oh and you can bet that although the 20th, 22nd, 24th and 26th are not strike days, the evening service on the day preceding the strike and the morning service on the day after each strike day will have some variable choas because the trains have not been stabled in the right places, crews clock on and off at times that interfere with the adjacent days service, etc.
I've got train tickets to Windsor in the morning on the 24th (Paddington-Slough-Windsor) and back early in the evening, and to Watford Junction late in the afternoon on the 26th (planning to Uber/taxi back). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed about these, but should I be worried? Should I plan alternatives?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I've got train tickets to Windsor in the morning on the 24th (Paddington-Slough-Windsor) and back early in the evening, and to Watford Junction late in the afternoon on the 26th (planning to Uber/taxi back). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed about these, but should I be worried? Should I plan alternatives?
Depends on the times, but as a general guide you can probably assume something along the lines of
morning after a strike
0500-0800 be prepared for significant cancellations
0800-1000 might be some disruption1000-1800 should be generally ok
Evening leading up to a strike
1800-2000 might be some disruption
2000-0000 be prepared for significant disruption

The exact detail will depend on the specifics of each train company and the staff they have available and if their signals are being operated, so the above is a wild guestimate.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Southeastern promptly refunded my ticket. I was able to get a car booking for 115 GBP to Tenterden from T5. My flight doesn't get in until 1430 so hopefully M25 traffic won't be as bad.
plunet likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:38 am

For info, this is what one rail company is saying about next week....

As you may be aware, the Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers’ Union (RMT) is taking strike action on Tuesday 21st Thursday 23rd and Saturday 25thJune. This is a nationwide strike, and services will be heavily impacted along with services of other train companies.

We will be running a heavily-amended timetable during the week of the strikes, both on strike days as well as non-strike days. We will ask that customers only travel with us if their journey is essential, and only if it cannot be undertaken by another transport option.

Customers who have no choice other than travelling by train during the industrial action are strongly advised to check before they travel, and to be aware that service frequencies, stopping patterns, and the times of first and last trains will be different to normal arrangements.

The full details of the amended timetable during this round of industrial action will be published on our website in the next few days, and I will write to you again later in the week with further information.

Last edited by plunet; Jun 13, 2022 at 3:39 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ON the 23rd and the 25th, presumably the tube will be running normally but the overground will be affected by the strike?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by NickB
ON the 23rd and the 25th, presumably the tube will be running normally but the overground will be affected by the strike?
The Overground will probably be affected on all three days from the point of the view that the signalling is National Rail, and its operated by Arriva Rail whose RMT members are also on strike.
NickB likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
I thought I read somewhere that the Elizabeth line is due to keep running in the event of these strikes although I can't find a good source for that info. If it is that might provide some options for Heathrow passengers.
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The deep level part may end up running, as IIRC they're on different contracts. I'd expect the Heathrow to Paddington bit to be affected by the National Rail strikes for signalling, track etc

Strike timetables should be out in a week or so, check again then, but it's probably better to assume no trains then have the chance of being pleasantly surprised rather than the other way round!
Just coming back to clarify, it seems the Elizabeth line WILL be impacted
Central section Paddington to Abbey Wood
  • Tues - limited service 0800 to 1800
  • Thus and Sat - normal

Western section Heathrow and Reading to Paddington
Eastern section Liverpool Street to Shenfield
  • Tues, Thu, Sat - very limited service 0800 to 1600

Last edited by plunet; Jun 19, 2022 at 12:06 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I see on tfl.gov.uk that Piccadilly line expected to be running apart from 21st. Also heathrow.com reporting landside inter terminal buses every 30 mins.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I see on tfl.gov.uk that Piccadilly line expected to be running apart from 21st. Also heathrow.com reporting landside inter terminal buses every 30 mins.
All tube lines (and not just the Piccadilly) are supposed to run on all days other than the 21st as the strikes on 23rd and 25th are railway strikes rather than tube strikes. You might have disruptions on the day after the strike, though, particularly in the morning as the network gradually gets back to normal.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.