Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Transferring from T3 to T5 at LHR, Virgin Atlantic to BA

Old May 4, 2022, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Arrow Transferring from T3 to T5 at LHR, Virgin Atlantic to BA

Hi All, I have a flight booked next month from JFK to LHR on Virgin Atlantic, and then ~3 hours after landing I'm flying on BA from LHR to GLA. I am wondering what's the best way to transfer from my VS arrival at T3 to the BA departure at T5.

I assume it is not possible to have Virgin check my bags through to BA to Glasgow. But please correct me if this is wrong. So I fear I will have to retrieve my bags at T3 and then re-check them onward to GLA. What I'm hoping is that I can do this at the BA counter at T3, then go thorough security at T3 and take the airside connection bus over to T5 with just my carryon. What I hope to avoid is having to drag my checked bags on the tube between terminals.

Is this possible? Has anyone done this or does anyone have a better idea? Thanks!
Old May 4, 2022, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scudsone

Hi All, I have a flight booked next month from JFK to LHR on Virgin Atlantic, and then ~3 hours after landing I'm flying on BA from LHR to GLA. I am wondering what's the best way to transfer from my VS arrival at T3 to the BA departure at T5.

I assume it is not possible to have Virgin check my bags through to BA to Glasgow. But please correct me if this is wrong. So I fear I will have to retrieve my bags at T3 and then re-check them onward to GLA. What I'm hoping is that I can do this at the BA counter at T3, then go thorough security at T3 and take the airside connection bus over to T5 with just my carryon. What I hope to avoid is having to drag my checked bags on the tube between terminals.

Is this possible? Has anyone done this or does anyone have a better idea? Thanks!
If this is one booking then yes VS should check your bag through to GLA and you shouldn't have to see it at LHR. In this case you can either go through immigration at T3, and then get the tube or Heathrow Express to T5 before going through security there to get airside. Alternatively, you can get the airside connection bus to T5 by following the purple signs for Flight Connections T235 and getting the T5 bus. Once at T5 you can either go through immigration, landside, and then up to security to go in to the airside departures area, or you can go through flight connections where you will go through immigration (this is separate from arrival immigration) and up to security. You can choose based on how busy immigration arrival is, if it is busy I would tend to stick to the connections route.

If this is two separate bookings, then you would have to go through immigration at T3 and pick up your bag, then take it to T5 and check it back in. Again you would have to use the tube or Heathrow Express. Generally the tube is a bit more frequent so I would use that. You can't check your bags in at T3 for a T5 flight.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately it is two separate bookings - when I originally planned this trip I was going to take the train up after a few days in London, but now I need to be in Glasgow the next day, so had to book a flight instead... Regardless it seems I will need to transit land-side to T5 and recheck my bags. I think 3 hours should be enough time. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scudsone
Unfortunately it is two separate bookings - when I originally planned this trip I was going to take the train up after a few days in London, but now I need to be in Glasgow the next day, so had to book a flight instead... Regardless it seems I will need to transit land-side to T5 and recheck my bags. I think 3 hours should be enough time. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ah ok, thanks.

Yes, in that case it is immigration and collect bags at T3, then tube/HEX to T5, and check bags back in there before going through security. As long as you check your bags by 45 mins and get to security by 35 minutes before the scheduled departure time of your GLA flight you should be fine.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:06 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Note that if you only fly with hand baggage, you can just use Flight Connections. That's what I just did and it was very convenient.

There is one problem though. Before entering the FCC we were met by a CSA that would not less through unless we gave her our larger rolling bags, claiming the flight was full. It ended up being dishonest. That might prevent me from using Flight Connections to a T5 BA flight in the future.
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.