Crossrail aka Elizabeth line to open Tuesday 24th May 2022

Old May 4, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles...ng-date-54074/

Initially service will run 06.30 - 23.00 Monday to Saturday from Abbey Wood to Paddington.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; May 4, 2022 at 1:03 pm Reason: Typo in Date
Old May 4, 2022, 5:51 am

For those thinking about Heathrow travel options, note that there is no change to services from Heathrow at that date. (Other than rebanding from tfl to Elizabeth). Services will still run to Paddington (main station). Through services from Heathrow across London come at a later date. At this stage, you'll need to connect from main station to low level station to continue across London.
squawk likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Is it clear when you will be ablate train it fromReading to LHR? I cannot seem to fathom this from the announcement
Old May 4, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Is it clear when you will be ablate train it fromReading to LHR? I cannot seem to fathom this from the announcement
there are no plans for direct trains from Reading to LHR

You can today change at Hayes and Harlington

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 4, 2022 at 10:26 am
Old May 8, 2022, 12:27 am

God forbid we took some cars off the M4 corridor!
Old May 9, 2022, 12:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

When will the Bond street station open up? All the map says is "soon!"
Old May 9, 2022, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Last I read is it’s about 3 months behind but that was a few weeks ago and so it could have caught up and they want it open ASAP but will only do so when it’s safe.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Her Majesty officially opened the line today (Tuesday) a week ahead of it being open for public access operational service.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles...th-line-54755/
Old May 18, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I'm glad to see that her Majesty was able to open it in person. I had thought that with all the upcoming Jubilee celebrations she may have given it a miss and sent Charles or William instead. Perhaps she is a train geek? She was a mechanic so she must love machinery in general.

Looking forward to giving it a ride next Tuesday.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I just transferred from T3 to T5 landside, the first train was an Elizabeth line train in full branding. Welcome to the future
Old May 24, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I know this was previously referenced on FT but it was difficult to visualize without the map. All I can say is Wow!

This will be huge for me as I prefer to stay near Bond Street area but often need to travel to offices in Canary Wharf. Will be much shorter than the Jubilee line. And eventually it will be nice to be able to take Elizabeth line from Heathrow straight to Bond street, rather than transfering to taxi at Paddington. Big win.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Latest map says October.

Query: Is it a shorter walk to the Tube from LHR Terminal 2 arrivals than to HEX? The only thing I dislike about HEX is the massive walk from T2, which of course follows a massive walk from the UA gates to immigration...
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; May 24, 2022 at 6:50 pm
Old May 24, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The Elizabeth line uses the same platforms as HEX so it's the same distance.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I rode the central London tunnel section yesterday, getting on at Paddington and heading out to Woolwich, and back again the same way. I have read the 17 minutes journey time from Paddington to Canary Wharf many times, but it is amazing how quickly it passes when you are actually on the train. The train accelerates out of the stations very quickly, and is up to speed in seconds. Dwell time at stations seemed a bit long - felt like a couple minutes sat with the doors open at each station.

Currently trains are running every 5 minutes.

Until the Heathrow trains are brought into the tunnel later in the autumn, I would say it would take approximately 5 minutes to walk from the Elizabeth (Heathrow branch) platforms and down in either the lifts or escalator.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Pretty sure Bond Street was being worked on when I worked in London in 2013! How could it take so long?
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:37 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I rode the central London tunnel section yesterday, getting on at Paddington and heading out to Woolwich, and back again the same way. I have read the 17 minutes journey time from Paddington to Canary Wharf many times, but it is amazing how quickly it passes when you are actually on the train. The train accelerates out of the stations very quickly, and is up to speed in seconds. Dwell time at stations seemed a bit long - felt like a couple minutes sat with the doors open at each station.
I travelled the whole route and visited all new entrances to every station.

I think people are kind of expecting it to be like the tube as it's branded like a tube line. But it was designed exactly to speed up journeys across central London.

It's like Thameslink but that is much slower and feels different because the Thameslink core stations are close together, and lots of branches converge at the necks plus needing to change from overhead wires to third rail.
​​
The long dwell times may be a case of being overprepared. If they were too short the timetable would be thrown off as delays accumulated. Don't know if they were expecting it to be busier thus requiring longer dwell times, but I was surprised at how uncrowded it felt, everyone who wanted to sit was able to the entire day including during the rush hours.
I don't know if it's because the stations and trains are much bigger and/or capacity of transport across London has suddenly doubled(?) and hasn't attracted newer commuters yet / maybe commuting is still reduced from covid effects.
GregWTravels likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.