Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full English in London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:42 am
mjm
Original Member

When I lived in London (in Kensal Rise in the 80's) there was an amazing cafe in Queen's Park, but when I went a couple years ago in search of it all I found was places that no previous patron of that cafe would ever have gone. Very sad evolution, understandable, but sad.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
. But there are also the middle class coffee cafés where advocado toast may feature alongside full English, in places like Ealing or Southwark.
and more recently into Shoreditch

There may also be many pubs in central london that would offer an all day breakfast
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by 13901
In my opinion, a Full English needs to be had at a greasy spoon, where you're more likely to bump into a plumber than the toffs. I don't often partake in that, but if I do I go to the Ritz in Hammersmith, King Street. The nearest station is Stamford Brook.
Precisely and if a fried slice is not on offer it doesn't qualify as a "full English." Some years ago on a trip to London I discovered Café Delight. 138 North End Rd, London W14 9PP. Nearest station is West Kensington, District Line.

And I've found that in an unfamiliar UK neighbourhood if you want the best available greasy spoon breakfast look for the spot with the most fluorescent vests inside.
13901, GregWTravels, mjm and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Badenoch; Apr 13, 2022 at 5:36 am
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, this is the dilemma is it not? And the key to this is whether the venue has much of an internet presence since the genuine experience would be at a place where the trade is almost all repeat and thus doesn't need an online showcase. The traditional working class caf - which was very much open to anyone who showed up - has been pushed out to places like Barking and Leyton, with a few corners hidden closer in such as Bow or Brixton. But there are also the middle class coffee cafés where advocado toast may feature alongside full English, in places like Ealing or Southwark. No avocado would be found in a true working class joint.
It's been a few years since I've been in the area early enough for breakfast, but certainly there also used to be a few greasy spoons in the side streets around King's Cross station. Sadly the ubiquitous Wetherspoon option - cheap and cheerful, but probably not sufficiently fresh ingredients or greasiness to qualify as traditional - has rather taken over the budget market in the centre of the city. I'd not normally describe a Wetherspoon's experience as gentrified, but in this case it's relatively so.

If you want a true experience, at the very least you should be drinking builder's tea out of a chipped enamel mug whilst contemplated your fried toast and squidgy tomato.

I don't really do high end breakfast, as you can tell.
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch

And I've found that in an unfamiliar UK neighbourhood if you want the best available greasy spoon breakfast look for the spot with the most fluorescent vests inside.
Agreed, that's why I like the Ritz. It's not an everyday place - and if you make it such then your doctor will want to have a word with you - but it's well and truly 'London'. The clientele can't pronounce the r's at the end of any words that demand it, you hear more 'innit' than please and if you ask for a babyccino I think they will get Big George to have a word with you. The only other cafe I can think of that is as non-fussy is the one inside Billingsgate market but I've just had a coffee there before.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Fat Boys Cafe - English Restaurant (business.site)

This is the sort of place you need to find, but will be difficult in the tourist areas of central london

This particular place is in Colnbrook, between the HI T5 and the Hilton T5

Maybe a little far away, but if the weather is good you may want to look at somewhere like Rooftop Kitchen > Top Tastes near Regents Park, this place is moving into the relms of advocado as mentioned by corporate-wage-slave

Last edited by scottishpoet; Apr 13, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The Mona Lisa in SW3 is an exception to the rule that you can't find a good Full English in central London. Plenty of builders there around 10:30.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Dishoom
ExpatExp and CosmosHuman like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
The Wolseley has been my go-to for out of town visitors.
(Less a greasy spoon, but very much an "experience")
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've been trying to remember the places I used to have breakfast during my many years in London. Most are now gone: there was Giraffe, which used to have several branches in London but which now seems to be limited to railway stations, airports and tourist hot-spots, and the 24-hour Old Compton Cafe in Soho, which was always busy.

The Breakfast Club still exists, and was always a favourite when I had people staying. It has several branches across London, though mostly in the trendier neighbourhoods such as Angel, Hoxton and Soho. Unless you get there very shortly after opening time you're likely to have to queue/wait in line at weekends.

Of course, we don't know what the OP has in mind: is it Simpsons or the Savoy, a neighbourhood greasy spoon or something in between?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Misco60
I've been trying to remember the places I used to have breakfast during my many years in London. Most are now gone: there was Giraffe, which used to have several branches in London but which now seems to be limited to railway stations, airports and tourist hot-spots, and the 24-hour Old Compton Cafe in Soho, which was always busy.

The Breakfast Club still exists, and was always a favourite when I had people staying. It has several branches across London, though mostly in the trendier neighbourhoods such as Angel, Hoxton and Soho. Unless you get there very shortly after opening time you're likely to have to queue/wait in line at weekends.

Of course, we don't know what the OP has in mind: is it Simpsons or the Savoy, a neighbourhood greasy spoon or something in between?
I'm open to all options but would probably lean towards greasy spoon. However I do have one rather serious allergy...instagrammers.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Norman’s in Archway was highly recommended in yesterday’s FT.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:46 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It's been a few years since I've been in the area early enough for breakfast, but certainly there also used to be a few greasy spoons in the side streets around King's Cross station. Sadly the ubiquitous Wetherspoon option - cheap and cheerful, but probably not sufficiently fresh ingredients or greasiness to qualify as traditional - has rather taken over the budget market in the centre of the city. I'd not normally describe a Wetherspoon's experience as gentrified, but in this case it's relatively so.

If you want a true experience, at the very least you should be drinking builder's tea out of a chipped enamel mug whilst contemplated your fried toast and squidgy tomato.

I don't really do high end breakfast, as you can tell.
That was back in the day when you pop into Alberts's in Copenhagen St. for a double pie double mash and extra liquor.
Used to squat a flat in Chalton St. back in the mid-80's.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Norman’s in Archway was highly recommended in yesterday’s FT.
But those who run this place say that their main customer route is via Insta, indeed customers are known to order things on their Insta feed rather than look at the menu. The other places mentioned in London are Regency, E. Pellici in Bethnal Green, Rock Steady Eddie's in Camberwell. The article almost looked like a response to this thread, so the OP may find it useful This link may or may not work
https://www.ft.com/content/180720aa-...4-4baf945c2da3
if it does not work, Google:
Long Live the Greasy Spoon Financial Times London
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Misco60
I don't get why the Breakfast Club is so popular. Every time I go I find it to be good, but not wow, prices are in line with other similar restaurants.

The first time I just went with my wife to see what all the fuss was about. Our verdict was that we wouldn't go again if there was a queue - but sometimes the other members of the party really want to go there, and sometimes because the queue makes them think it must be worth waiting for.

Once I managed to convince the others to go to another place nearby, and when we were done we saw the people who had been ahead of us in the Breakfast Club queue were still waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.