Wiki Posts
Search

UK not offering 2nd dose to teens - [needed for travel]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
UK not offering 2nd dose to teens - [needed for travel]

Has anyone got an idea as to how I can get a 2nd jab for my 16 year old?

We are due to travel to Costa Rica for a thrice cancelled trip in February. CR have just mandated that all over 12’s need to be double jabbed.

I’m sure there are other countries with this rule and it will prevent UK families from traveling.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:49 am
Original Poster

So this has just been moved here from the Coronavirus thread. I don’t think it should have been moved as its Covid related and isn’t about travel to the UK
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is going to be a problem for a while. Some 16 year olds are entitled to 2 jabs, but given the reluctance of JCVI to allow any jabs for healthy 12 to 15 year olds (though I think they would think differently now), I cannot see JCVI is in a hurry to add the second jab for those 16 years old. So as things stand your child will need to wait until they get to 17 years and 9 months old to get the second jab. What may happen is that CR will ease restrictions in this space, perhaps aligning with the USA, over tiime. At the moment the only solution I can see is to go through the vaccination process all over again in (say) the Irish Republic, and that's not of clinical benefit to the child.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

You say some 16 year olds are entitled. Do you know how they gain this entitlement?

Also, do you have any details about how a Brit can get vaccinated in Ireland?

Since I posted I have discovered this article in The Independent which gave me some hope
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-b1950102.html

Last edited by kingcole974; Nov 6, 2021 at 6:09 am
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Thanks.
Also, do you have any details about how a Brit can get vaccinated in Ireland?
As far as I know you need an Irish health number or the likes and I believe you need residency to get one. I could be completely wrong so don't take my word for it. I looked in to getting vaccinated in the Republic as I was keen to get the single dose Janssen but ultimately gave up as it seemed it would be difficult to get registered correctly. Not to mention trying to get a vaccine passport.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Thanks.

You say some 16 year olds are entitled. Do you know how they gain this entitlement?
As things stand they have to be in a criteria for inclusion
- working for health or social care. Volunteering at a vaccine site or other health care setting counts for this, as would providing signtificant care to a vulnerable adult or child, e.g grandparent.
- in an at risk group healthwise, e.g. Diabetes, learning difficulties
- Live with immuno-compromised people
- On prescription from a GP (this would typically be for a third dose though).
As for The Independent article, it is mentioned several times in the National Protocol that JCVI will specifically review the situation with second doses for younger people, in the light of risks and benefits. At the time there was a specific concern over myocarditis, but since then we've learnt that the biggest myocarditis risk factor for children of that age is simply catching COVID, so that particular issue has flipped over completely since the initial decision was made, it makes more sense to vaccinate to reduce that risk. On the other hand the biggest risk at the moment remains, as it laways did, for the elderly, and so the priority is inevitably unvaccinated adults followed by boosters for those over 50 years old. We are actually running slightly low on vaccine stock at the moment, which we expect to be resolved in a few days, so adding youngsters doesn't seem to me to be a priority right now.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. My lad has only just had his first shot so will keep fingers crossed the rules change and there is sufficient supply in 8 weeks
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:17 am

JCVI has today announced that 16- and 17-year-olds should receive a second dose of Pfizer and is urging people in that age group to come forward (though it's unclear from the news reports what the process is).
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
JCVI has today announced that 16- and 17-year-olds should receive a second dose of Pfizer and is urging people in that age group to come forward (though it's unclear from the news reports what the process is).
Within a few days (it still needs ministerial and NHS sign off but that's a given) I would expect the National Booking System to allow for bookings to be made, as it now does for those over 12 on their first dose. I would expect those aged 16 to 17.75 years old to get their second doses from next week, subject to an 8 week minimum gap between dose1 and dose2.

Off the subject topic, but the over 40s can also now have boosters six months after dose2, and I imagine in a few weeks it will go down the age range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.