FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Anyone gone to see a premier league game recently ? Where do you get tickets ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2057455-anyone-gone-see-premier-league-game-recently-where-do-you-get-tickets.html)

vernonc Nov 1, 2021 7:23 am

Anyone gone to see a premier league game recently ? Where do you get tickets ?

Thinking of a birthday gift for one of my kids. Trip to London to see a Arsenal game. Either Dec or Feb. There and back 4-5 days incl travel with one day to visit family/friends. Anyone gone to see a premier league game recently ? Where do you get tickets ? Any other suggestions incl PCR testing for the return ? Have not been to the UK for 10 years though I did live in London for a few years a long time back. We will be traveling from Canada.

rockflyertalk Nov 1, 2021 11:06 am

The most cost effective way (without being ripped off by online ticket merchants) is to either know or make friends with a season ticket holder or buy a membership to Arsenal which gives you access to their own ticket exchange.

Travelzoo offer Premier Leagues premium packages.

Travelzoo premier league

SCHokie Nov 11, 2021 7:06 am

Just did this for my son - purchased Man City tickets in February. Had to join the Man City Club for he and I and was able to get "early access" to tickets. Will hopefully be able to catch another game the same weekend in London. Waiting for specific day/time schedule to settle out in the next month or so. Now to figuring out if it's possible to use the same covid test for UK 2-day requirement plus the US required test to get back into the US since we'll only be in UK for about 4 days. I haven't seen that answer anywhere...

xooz Nov 11, 2021 8:10 am

I have signed up with various clubs to get access to tickets. For home games you often have to wait so long before tickets are available that you can only get the "hospitality" packages. I signed up with smaller clubs to try to get tickets for games at their home site with bigger teams. Also, the smaller clubs will have away packages to go to games with bigger teams. In the end I never took advantage of this, being able to score tickets to Everton games without jumping through hoops. We did get Arsenal home tickets by "knowing someone" as mentioned above.

Finally, we had a very pleasant day just showing up at Fulham and buying tickets on game day. This was several years ago prior to their relegation. Good luck!

pfreet Nov 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Live in Florida and see Premier League and Championship games when I travel to England. I bought two Arsenal tickets for a Premier league game on Stubhub.com 2 years ago and had no problems. I have also bought tickets to Liverpool and Chelsea through their Hospitality programs. And, literally today!, I bought a ticket to a West Ham game at Olympic Stadium off the West Ham website, and a ticket to a Tottenham game at their new stadium from the Tottenham website. However I did have to buy a Tottenham membership first for 50 pounds.

There is no easy answer. Just be aware, tickets for games do not go on sale until about a o th before the game. Good luck. Arsenal has a big stadium to fill and not been a top team lately - so a bit easier than usual.

Scots_Al Nov 12, 2021 1:20 am

When you’ve got your tickets sorted, and especially if it’s not a Saturday game, do think about coming back to this forum and asking for advice on a lower level game to go to on the Saturday for a different (but more authentic) experience!

A couple of years ago we collectively advised a guy in just that situation to go to a Brentford game - at the time they were a decent Championship team, playing at their very old-school stadium, Griffin Park. He seemed to have a great time.

nnn Nov 13, 2021 12:31 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33720025)
Now to figuring out if it's possible to use the same covid test for UK 2-day requirement plus the US required test to get back into the US since we'll only be in UK for about 4 days. I haven't seen that answer anywhere...

I believe the US reentry test has to be proctored, whether in person or on video. The UK Day 2 tests are not all proctored, but you can probably look for one that is.

We are heading to England in a week and have five matches lined up, three Premier League and two Champions League. :tu::cool:

cameramaker Nov 13, 2021 5:43 pm

If you’re a tourist, going to watch Arsenal is possibly the biggest waste of money you can imagine. They’re not even a good team, there is no atmosphere at all, it’s just very sterile. Fly to the UK on Emirates and visit their lounges on the way and you’ll enjoy a similar experience.

In London, Crystal Palace or Fulham are much better days out. In fact, go and watch any Championship match and it’ll be a much better afternoon. Most games are end to end and any team can beat anyone. You’re unlikely to have to sign up to these rip off memberships and it’ll cost you about £30 a ticket. You won’t be 1,000 feet in the air either.

Scots_Al Nov 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by cameramaker (Post 33726510)
If you’re a tourist, going to watch Arsenal is possibly the biggest waste of money you can imagine. They’re not even a good team, there is no atmosphere at all, it’s just very sterile. Fly to the UK on Emirates and visit their lounges on the way and you’ll enjoy a similar experience.

In London, Crystal Palace or Fulham are much better days out. In fact, go and watch any Championship match and it’ll be a much better afternoon. Most games are end to end and any team can beat anyone. You’re unlikely to have to sign up to these rip off memberships and it’ll cost you about £30 a ticket. You won’t be 1,000 feet in the air either.

Well, you put it more bluntly than me, but I doubt you’ll find many football fans disagreeing.

NWIFlyer Nov 14, 2021 2:04 am

To be fair, there are worst experiences than the Emirates which can be noisy, but certainly the influx of “camera” fans is an issue that’s affecting atmosphere across the league - when the UK had its incoming travel restrictions but grounds were still fully open, I’m told the noise levels at Stamford Bridge increased markedly, as people that only ever went to away games found they could get tickets.

There are still grounds that are noisy, but they are generally outside what people regard as the big name clubs - Selhurst Park, for all its faults, is one. Norwich is another, Leicester is generally decent, and at Burnley if you go in a pub you’ll find knowledgeable fans who are steeped in the history of their own team and not interested in the “glamour” options in the North West. You’ll also find them as friendly and welcoming as anywhere if you happen to be there supporting another team in a similar position - there are many of us who watch PL teams that don’t particularly like all the hype that goes around it.

The problem you have with trying to get into lots of the grounds with decent atmosphere is that they are chock full with season ticket holders and some members - which is exactly why they’re noisy in the first place!

13901 Nov 14, 2021 4:34 am

Originally Posted by cameramaker (Post 33726510)

Agree 100%. I'd have added Brentford but I haven't been to a game there in the new stadium yet so can't say for sure.

Before Covid I went to see Chelsea, Arsenal and - unrelated but still a game - England play Ireland at the Six Nations. The latter game was a much better experience as an all-rounder. Stamford Bridge was swarmed with Middle Eastern tourists taking selfies, Arsenal was quiet as a library. I won the tickets through a raffle at work, but they were extremely dear in terms of cost... And it was boring. If the spectacle is what one is after, I agree - go see a Championship game. Or go to Germany and go see Dynamo Dresden... or if you really want to go deaf, any Aris Thessaloniki basket game. Local friends I met in Erasmus maaaany years ago took me to one and I think I blew an eardrum.

RichardInSF Nov 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 33724783)
I believe the US reentry test has to be proctored, whether in person or on video. The UK Day 2 tests are not all proctored, but you can probably look for one that is.

We are heading to England in a week and have five matches lined up, three Premier League and two Champions League. :tu::cool:

No, the USA test doesn't have to be proctored. I am back about two weeks. My "day 2" test showed up too late to use, so I just saved it for my pre-departure test before returning and had no problems. If you are just there for 4 days total and take the day 2 test on day 2, it'll also work just fine for your USA return.

nnn Nov 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 33728872)
No, the USA test doesn't have to be proctored. I am back about two weeks. My "day 2" test showed up too late to use, so I just saved it for my pre-departure test before returning and had no problems. If you are just there for 4 days total and take the day 2 test on day 2, it'll also work just fine for your USA return.

Are you sure about that? See below. Still, the airline agent won't necessarily enforce that rule if you present a certificate.

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:
  • The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm your identity and the test result details. You must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.
Some countries may restrict importation of tests that are not authorized or registered there. If you are considering bringing a U.S.-authorized test with you for use outside of the United States, contact authorities at your destination for information before you travel.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

RichardInSF Nov 15, 2021 3:08 am

Interesting. After administration, I did have to take a photo of the test stick and send it to the service offering the test. The service I used is certified by the UK government. After I did that, the service sent me an official result certificate. That satisfied the airline, which was BA.

nnn Nov 15, 2021 10:17 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 33729651)
Interesting. After administration, I did have to take a photo of the test stick and send it to the service offering the test. The service I used is certified by the UK government. After I did that, the service sent me an official result certificate. That satisfied the airline, which was BA.

Right. I think it's likely that the test wasn't in keeping with the U.S. rules since there was not real-time A/V supervision, but the airline didn't know enough and/or bother to enforce the rule. Which is probably not uncommon for flights leaving the U.K., I suspect, given the difference in rules as compared to the Day 2 testing. By contrast, for example, the eMed/Navica test, if you've tried it, involves someone watching you through a video connection as you take the Abbott BinaxNow LFT.

But on topic: Three days until we leave for England to watch 5 matches....woo hoo.