FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Anyone gone to see a premier league game recently ? Where do you get tickets ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2057455-anyone-gone-see-premier-league-game-recently-where-do-you-get-tickets.html)

greenbbs Dec 1, 2021 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 33775635)
Are you giving up your ticket if you do cancel? :D I’m sure there are takers!

Maybe, but some new testing options have come about so I’m really thinking I might actually be able to make this work

nnn Dec 1, 2021 7:16 pm

We just got back from England after having taken in 5 matches (3 PL, 2 UCL). Super fun experience. We also got in before the Omicron lock, luckily.

pfreet Dec 2, 2021 2:34 am

Originally Posted by GregWTravels (Post 33765514)
Exactly. Milton Keynes doesn't have the space to host another team! 😜

There is no team in Milton Keynes, I don't know who told you this!

Seriously, in London now for three matches in three days at Tottenham, Fulham and West Ham (as a neutral). Use the team websites for all three tickets. Had to sign up for a membership first at Tottenham and Fulham. Plenty of seats at West Ham upper deck without a membership. All in, for the three matches, maybe $350.

Traveling despite Omicron. It's annoying, but not going to let that ruin my plans, life's too short. Get out and enjoy it, just a bit more hassle right now than normal. Plus, I get to visit the Tate Modern and V&A museums.

vernonc Dec 2, 2021 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by greenbbs (Post 33774814)
Needs to be a PCR- no more lateral flow. Only in country for 36 hours. Rules changed this week

Yes, even Canada requires PCR test and what I described is PCR. Its a kit (PCR RT-LAMP) where you test yourself in front of a camera with a tech watching, results in 10-15 mins, upload your test result picture and they certify it because they watched you take it and the result. Link below. That's what I plan to use when I travel.
Air Canada Offers Industry's Most Comprehensive Travel Testing Options in Partnership with Switch Health, Including Self-Administered Tests (newswire.ca)

Ldnn1 Dec 2, 2021 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 33779102)
Yes, even Canada requires PCR test and what I described is PCR. Its a kit (PCR RT-LAMP) where you test yourself in front of a camera with a tech watching, results in 10-15 mins, upload your test result picture and they certify it because they watched you take it and the result. Link below. That's what I plan to use when I travel.
Air Canada Offers Industry's Most Comprehensive Travel Testing Options in Partnership with Switch Health, Including Self-Administered Tests (newswire.ca)

That is not a PCR test. It is an RT-LAMP test, as the article states. That’s different to PCR.

The only reference to PCR in the article is the self *collection* kit which means taking a sample yourself and then sending it off to the lab for processing - that’s the standard PCR process.

rockflyertalk Dec 16, 2021 10:30 am

I’ve been hoping to get to a Premiership game but it’s proving difficult, understandably so.

The Emirates last night was looking a little on the light side for crowd numbers. Perhaps the double whammy of being a Wednesday in December and the intro of Covid passes had put fans off.

greenbbs Dec 16, 2021 11:19 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 33818009)
I’ve been hoping to get to a Premiership game but it’s proving difficult, understandably so.

The Emirates last night was looking a little on the light side for crowd numbers. Perhaps the double whammy of being a Wednesday in December and the intro of Covid passes had put fans off.

I was supposed to come in this weekend from the US for Spurs-Liverpool, but the ‘vid is getting so bad I canceled the trip.

sounds like a lot of the teams are pushing to postpone the schedule through the festive season

rockflyertalk Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by greenbbs (Post 33818183)

sounds like a lot of the teams are pushing to postpone the schedule through the festive season

I think a pause will help curb the outbreaks.

Sorry you couldn’t make the trip! Let’s see what games go ahead this weekend.

greenbbs Dec 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 33818435)
I think a pause will help curb the outbreaks.

Sorry you couldn’t make the trip! Let’s see what games go ahead this weekend.

It’s OK, I was always prepared for this. I’ll just make it for the beginning of next season.

rockflyertalk Dec 21, 2021 9:58 am

I attended a Prem game at the weekend in London. Ensuring I had/done all relevant admin for covid, I was a little disappointed to see any, if no attempt to vet attendees. Just signage to say wear masks and have a covid pass. But no checks.

SCHokie Jan 5, 2022 7:04 am

My son and I have tickets to the 19 Feb Man City game and are trying to book the pre-game stadium tour. I have been trying to reach the ticket office from the US for 2 days and keep getting a busy(engaged) signal. Either I am dialing incorrectly (tried from 3 different phone lines and my mobile is even smart enough to recognize that I'm trying to call Man City FC as it shows it on my screen) or the number is blocking international calls. Can someone from inside the UK call the main number to verify that it is just not busy all the time? Should be an auto recording that then routes your call depending on the next set of numbers. (0)161 444 1894 If they are blocking international calls, not sure what to do then. I emailed them and they just responded to call the same phone number--swell.

Scots_Al Jan 5, 2022 7:09 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33873079)
My son and I have tickets to the 19 Feb Man City game and are trying to book the pre-game stadium tour. I have been trying to reach the ticket office from the US for 2 days and keep getting a busy(engaged) signal. Either I am dialing incorrectly (tried from 3 different phone lines and my mobile is even smart enough to recognize that I'm trying to call Man City FC as it shows it on my screen) or the number is blocking international calls. Can someone from inside the UK call the main number to verify that it is just not busy all the time? Should be an auto recording that then routes your call depending on the next set of numbers. (0)161 444 1894 If they are blocking international calls, not sure what to do then. I emailed them and they just responded to call the same phone number--swell.

I just dialed now and got the automated 'thank you for calling Manchester City' message.

I'm now off to wash the horrible dirty feeling away.

PS - are you 100% sure you're getting an engaged tone? I'm not sure what the US version sounds like, but they do vary from country to country (if calling France, the 'ringing' tone can sound like an engaged tone to U.K. ears).

SCHokie Jan 5, 2022 7:14 am

Many thanks for the quick response. Pretty sure it is the engaged tone as nothing else happens if I just let it drone on for 30+ seconds. I also googled what that sounds like in the UK and found a site that will play different phone recordings for a country and it's the same sound. So what to do now...

GregWTravels Jan 5, 2022 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33873079)
Can someone from inside the UK call the main number to verify that it is just not busy all the time? Should be an auto recording that then routes your call depending on the next set of numbers. (0)161 444 1894 If they are blocking international calls, not sure what to do then. I emailed them and they just responded to call the same phone number--swell.

Just called and was able to get through, so the line is operating. 0161 is just a regular landline number, so it's not a special number that's only accessible via the UK. Whether they Man City might block international calls, I don't know, but it would seem strange given the international draw of the club. I know you probably are, but just confirming that the country code you are using is 44 for the UK, and you are dialing from a phone that allows international calls?

Scots_Al Jan 5, 2022 7:20 am

Would a VOIP work?

SCHokie Jan 5, 2022 7:32 am

I have tried with Skype, my home phone (which is VOIP) and my Verizon mobile (which is smart enough to recognize the number I'm calling). I just think they are blocking international calls.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...44c383c855.jpg

rockflyertalk Jan 5, 2022 7:37 am

I just called the number quoted above and instantly got the “Thank you for calling MC, please select from one of the following options…”

Unfortunately there isn’t an option to say you don’t like Man City :D but the number works (I’m calling from England)

rockflyertalk Jan 5, 2022 7:38 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33873167)
I have tried with Skype, my home phone (which is VOIP) and my Verizon mobile (which is smart enough to recognize the number I'm calling). I just think they are blocking international calls.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...44c383c855.jpg

Why is the 011 included before the 44?

Its either 0044 or +44

Scots_Al Jan 5, 2022 7:40 am

How about this? Is it the same tour?

https://hospitality.mancity.com/tour...-stadium-tour/

SCHokie Jan 5, 2022 7:49 am

No, it's this tour: https://hospitality.mancity.com/tour...kick-off-tour/

And 011 is the "exit code" in the US to then dial an international number. The mobile puts it there by default.

rockflyertalk Jan 5, 2022 7:54 am

You might want to ask on Twitter or email as per here:

https://www.mancity.com/contact-us

13901 Jan 5, 2022 7:59 am

For those not interested in the big teams, I went to see Brentford with a friend who had tickets. The stadium is very neat, visibility is really good. The atmosphere is a bit 'meh' if you compare with a similar game in Germany (to say nothing of those countries that are absolutely mental like Poland or Greece) but still.

Scots_Al Jan 5, 2022 8:03 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 33873239)
For those not interested in the big teams, I went to see Brentford with a friend who had tickets. The stadium is very neat, visibility is really good. The atmosphere is a bit 'meh' if you compare with a similar game in Germany (to say nothing of those countries that are absolutely mental like Poland or Greece) but still.

Brentford are a pretty big team!!!

I'm hoping, circumstances allowing, to get to Wimbledon v Shrewsbury on 29/1. Luckily I have a debenture so am guaranteed a ticket!

DYKWIA Jan 6, 2022 1:11 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33873209)
No, it's this tour: https://hospitality.mancity.com/tour...kick-off-tour/

And 011 is the "exit code" in the US to then dial an international number. The mobile puts it there by default.

Just try +441614441894 from Skype.

SCHokie Jan 6, 2022 7:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 33875805)
Just try +441614441894 from Skype.

I tried that over 20 times over the past few days. Always says "+441614441894 is unavailable"

I was able to find someone from within the UK to help me and was able to get the tour booked this morning. I just sent them the money via Paypal. So all is well-thanks for all the responses.

We're going to also try and see the Wolves play Leicester on Sunday if anyone has any tips for that game.

Scots_Al Jan 6, 2022 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33876465)
I tried that over 20 times over the past few days. Always says "+441614441894 is unavailable"

I was able to find someone from within the UK to help me and was able to get the tour booked this morning. I just sent them the money via Paypal. So all is well-thanks for all the responses.

We're going to also try and see the Wolves play Leicester on Sunday if anyone has any tips for that game.

No idea, other than that it's just Wolves, not the Wolves. They are playing the Foxes, however!

Glad all sorted.

goodeats21 Jan 7, 2022 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 33722183)
When you’ve got your tickets sorted, and especially if it’s not a Saturday game, do think about coming back to this forum and asking for advice on a lower level game to go to on the Saturday for a different (but more authentic) experience!

A couple of years ago we collectively advised a guy in just that situation to go to a Brentford game - at the time they were a decent Championship team, playing at their very old-school stadium, Griffin Park. He seemed to have a great time.

That guy was me! :D And it was a very good time. Very glad I got to experience Griffin Park while it was still in use.
Agree with the suggestion wholeheartedly. Since that first trip, I have also been to QPR and Fulham home matches.
Great way to get into areas of London that I otherwise wouldn't see, along with some good football in more "intimate" settings.
And at a very reasonable cost.

Originally Posted by greenbbs (Post 33773075)
This is killing me.

I’ve been a One Hotspur+ member since they switched to the new format (was a bronze member before that), and have a ticket to Liverpool-Spurs on Dec 19th.

Was planning on doing a quick in and out (arriving 18th at 8pm from the states on the daytime TATL on VS, and leaving Monday AM), but the new restrictions are putting a massive wrench into my plans. I don’t want to shell out £399 to guarantee a PCR result on Sunday AM, so I may end up having to cancel and rebook for next season…..

it’s absolutely killing me

Originally Posted by greenbbs (Post 33818183)
I was supposed to come in this weekend from the US for Spurs-Liverpool, but the ‘vid is getting so bad I canceled the trip.

Ah man, that would have been a great match to be at. Hopefully you get over soon.

With today's announcement relaxing the entry requirements into UK, I (maybe foolishly) booked a trip for next week.
The lure of 2 derby's at home, including the NLD, was too strong to resist. Love it when fixture congestion allows multiple matches in the same week.
Have already sorted out tickets (local contacts rule!) for them. COYS!

Will try to get a look at other possible lower-league matches later today. Gonna make it a full week of football. :)

LSunbury Jan 7, 2022 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by SCHokie (Post 33876465)

Tickets for Wolves games (home fans) are on sale to members only and rarely get to general public sale. Molineux only holds just over 30k and is sold out unless its somthing unattractive like Burnley on a Wednesday night!

I'm a member but can only get one ticket before a couple of days before the game.

vernonc Feb 23, 2022 11:46 am

Since I started the thread, thought I'd give an update.
I did bring my daughter to London for a Arsenal game as her 21st birthday gift. We went to see the Arsenal-Brentford game on 19th Feb. Brought back memories for me. Decided to be ultra safe and not buy tickets from resale sites, we both registered as Arsenal red level members. After a few days of checking managed to find and buy (at midnight) 2 tickets seated together Club level from a member resale. Great seats close to the center, easy access to restaurants and bars. Spent a bit of money pregame at the Armoury (merchandise shop).
Traveling to the UK was easy since we are triple vaxed, filled out the passenger locator form, used the egates and were on the tube with our bags 15 mins after leaving the plane. Arrived on 18th Feb just before the storm, went sightseeing in the evening, ate at Dishoom (very good), PCR test for our return to Canada followed by the game on 19th, sightseeing on 20th including changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, London Eye, etc plus a train to Milton Keynes to meet friends for dinner, back to London on 21st to meet family and dinner with them at Ivy restaurant, St Johns Woods (loved it) and flew back home on 22nd.
Hectic but great trip plus Arsenal won so I may be in the running for Dad of the year. Specially since we also flew both ways in Business Class.
Special thanks to all those who provided great advice and tips on this thread. Even the empty trophy case Tottenham fans :-). Now to do it all over again soon. Can someone please clean up the weather though...

goodeats21 Apr 9, 2022 4:54 am

Well, this season is turning out to be much more interesting than appeared earlier. Decent fights for top spot, European spots, and a relegation battle....involving Everton! Who woulda thought?

Was bummed to been over for the NLD only to have it postponed, but thankfully was able to book another trip for the rescheduled date next month. And will also catch the last home match v Burnley as well.

Anyone else heading over for late season fixtures?

GregWTravels Apr 10, 2022 12:10 pm

I went to see Brentford host West Ham today, and after a uninspiring first half by either side, Brentford scored two to secure the win. I was lucky, as a friend of mine had a set of 4 season tickets with a friend, but they are away in the Caribbean for a family holiday, so I and three other friends received the gift of the tickets. Not sure how easy it would be to get tickets otherwise.

Very nice ground (only two years old I think). Good comfortable seating. Not large but very lively. No longer a pub on every corner, but lots of pre and post match places to get a drink and bite.

As with most clubs, unless you have season tickets, looks like the best bet is getting a membership and seeing what opens up for you as tickets are released.

goodeats21 Apr 10, 2022 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels (Post 34153416)
I went to see Brentford host West Ham today, and after a uninspiring first half by either side, Brentford scored two to secure the win. I was lucky, as a friend of mine had a set of 4 season tickets with a friend, but they are away in the Caribbean for a family holiday, so I and three other friends received the gift of the tickets. Not sure how easy it would be to get tickets otherwise.

Very nice ground (only two years old I think). Good comfortable seating. Not large but very lively. No longer a pub on every corner, but lots of pre and post match places to get a drink and bite.

As with most clubs, unless you have season tickets, looks like the best bet is getting a membership and seeing what opens up for you as tickets are released.

Nice. I haven't been to Brentford's new stadium, but was lucky enough to visit Griffin Park before it came down. Need to get back over that way and check out the new one. Be good to see Eriksen again (amazing comeback for him).

I have tickets sorted for my next 2 matches in May, including the re-scheduled NLD. (Helps to have lots of friends that happen to be season ticket holders...and generous.)
I also have had a (Hotspur) membership for several years now, and have been able to source tickets on their re-sellers function when needed.

Was quite the weekend for Spurs. We won handily, and all our major competitors for 4th place ended up losing.

andrewstahl Apr 11, 2022 12:21 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 34150481)
Well, this season is turning out to be much more interesting than appeared earlier. Decent fights for top spot, European spots, and a relegation battle....involving Everton! Who woulda thought?

Was bummed to been over for the NLD only to have it postponed, but thankfully was able to book another trip for the rescheduled date next month. And will also catch the last home match v Burnley as well.

Anyone else heading over for late season fixtures?

Just saw West Ham vs Lyon, Watford vs Leeds & Norwich vs Burnley.

Three great but very different experiences.

NWIFlyer Apr 14, 2022 5:20 am

Originally Posted by andrewstahl (Post 34154681)
Just saw West Ham vs Lyon, Watford vs Leeds & Norwich vs Burnley.

Three great but very different experiences.

I'm sorry you probably didn't get the best that Carrow Road can offer - most people have accepted that it would take a greater comeback than Lazarus to avoid relegation now, and consequently even when we play reasonably well and win games the noise is tempered a great deal. The Burnley game, much like the one at Turf Moor earlier in the season, was just a bit flat until Pukki's goal to clinch it late on.

Come back next year in the Championship and you'll probably find a much more vibrant ground.

DYKWIA Apr 14, 2022 11:08 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 34163969)
I'm sorry you probably didn't get the best that Carrow Road can offer - most people have accepted that it would take a greater comeback than Lazarus to avoid relegation now, and consequently even when we play reasonably well and win games the noise is tempered a great deal. The Burnley game, much like the one at Turf Moor earlier in the season, was just a bit flat until Pukki's goal to clinch it late on.

Come back next year in the Championship and you'll probably find a much more vibrant ground.

Easy 3 points against my lot tomorrow...

NWIFlyer Apr 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 34164904)
Easy 3 points against my lot tomorrow...

I expect I'll get the usual "So what do you think of it?" question from the steward, thinking I'm somehow starstruck. I did have to explain that when I first went to Old Trafford the Stretford End had never seen a camera, and there was standing in the front of the Scoreboard End ...

highlanderfil Apr 19, 2022 9:38 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 34165697)
I expect I'll get the usual "So what do you think of it?" question from the steward, thinking I'm somehow starstruck. I did have to explain that when I first went to Old Trafford the Stretford End had never seen a camera, and there was standing in the front of the Scoreboard End ...

I've had stewards ask me to put away my DSLR at the Olympic Stadium before (twice, IIRC and I've been to about half a dozen matches there). Never had an issue at OT (then again, my sample size is small, as I've only been twice).

To toss in my own experience, over the past 14 years I've been to England a few times, mostly as a tourist, and have gone to matches at:

- Upton Park, both Prem and Championship matches; have had to buy memberships for most of them (got lucky with a general sale once)
- St. Mary's (Championship); general sale
- Craven Cottage (Prem); membership
- Old Trafford; membership the first time, bought a season holder's membership card via Twitter the second (last match of the season)
- Emirates (FA Cup); general sale
- Stadium of Light (Prem); general sale
- King Power; general sale
- Selhurst Park; scalper outside the stadium
- Olympic Stadium; membership (the only time it actually made sense to have one, as we were living in Essex at the time and I could go with a degree of regularity)

Generally, spending 30-40 (maybe more now?) pounds just for the privilege of being able to buy a ticket might turn some people off, but such is life. I've never regretted it:).

heraclitus Feb 13, 2023 10:10 pm

I will be in London for opening week of the 2023-24 EPL season and my son is very interested in taking in a match. Is there a realistic shot at landing tickets without paying an extortionate amount? And if so, is becoming a member the best chance at doing so? In North America it is common to use resellers such as Stubhub but from what I've read, it seems less common and a bit riskier in the UK.

Anyway, my son is not picky about which club to see, he just wants the experience of seeing the EPL live and in person. Plan B would be to see a EFL Championship match which I gather is more accessible. Thanks for any advice or bits of wisdom!

goodeats21 Feb 14, 2023 8:28 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 35009815)
I will be in London for opening week of the 2023-24 EPL season and my son is very interested in taking in a match. Is there a realistic shot at landing tickets without paying an extortionate amount? And if so, is becoming a member the best chance at doing so? In North America it is common to use resellers such as Stubhub but from what I've read, it seems less common and a bit riskier in the UK.

Anyway, my son is not picky about which club to see, he just wants the experience of seeing the EPL live and in person. Plan B would be to see a EFL Championship match which I gather is more accessible. Thanks for any advice or bits of wisdom!

What a great trip idea! I am not an expert, but have been over many times to attend Tottenham matches. I am a member, and also have many friends with Season Tickets, so scoring a reasonable price ticket has been OK for me.
(As a Hotspur Member, I have access to ticket exchange, which has been reliable for tickets even in popular matches, at least for a "single". It does require flexibility in seating area choices, etc. And it only "opens up" a set time before the match date.)

Most (all?) clubs offer higher price tickets to non-members, available well in advance of game day. I usually see these termed "Hospitality tickets / packages". Usually comes with some level of pre-match food, drinks, etc. You would need to do some research to determine what makes the most sense. 2 Hospitality tickets versus 2 memberships + 2 regular tickets. You can search for matches this season to get an idea of costs, availability, etc.

Not sure when the 23-24 season schedule will be announced and finalized, which will let you know which clubs will be playing in London. And I strongly recommend also attending a Championship League match while in town. More intimate, less expensive, and tickets are usually more available. Again, would need to see who is in town during your trip and playing opposite weekend day of your EPL match. I have done this numerous times and was always been a lot of fun. I posted some pics and thoughts earlier in this thread.

I am sure some of the more knowledgeable locals will be by shortly to post their advice. But let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

heraclitus Feb 14, 2023 8:56 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 35010743)
What a great trip idea! I am not an expert, but have been over many times to attend Tottenham matches. I am a member, and also have many friends with Season Tickets, so scoring a reasonable price ticket has been OK for me.
(As a Hotspur Member, I have access to ticket exchange, which has been reliable for tickets even in popular matches, at least for a "single". It does require flexibility in seating area choices, etc. And it only "opens up" a set time before the match date.)

Most (all?) clubs offer higher price tickets to non-members, available well in advance of game day. I usually see these termed "Hospitality tickets / packages". Usually comes with some level of pre-match food, drinks, etc. You would need to do some research to determine what makes the most sense. 2 Hospitality tickets versus 2 memberships + 2 regular tickets. You can search for matches this season to get an idea of costs, availability, etc.

Not sure when the 23-24 season schedule will be announced and finalized, which will let you know which clubs will be playing in London. And I strongly recommend also attending a Championship League match while in town. More intimate, less expensive, and tickets are usually more available. Again, would need to see who is in town during your trip and playing opposite weekend day of your EPL match. I have done this numerous times and was always been a lot of fun. I posted some pics and thoughts earlier in this thread.

I am sure some of the more knowledgeable locals will be by shortly to post their advice. But let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Thank you for the advice!

Just to be clear, my trip is a standard family vacation for me, my wife and kids, not a soccer-specific trip. We'll have a week in London and then head west towards Bath/Bristol/Cardiff. So while my son and I would like to attend a match, it is not a do or die situation! It does seem based on what I'm reading that at the very least a Championship League match is well within the realm of possibility. However, I will do my best to line up tickets for an EPL match and I would be grateful for any suggestions that others may have.

On that note, are there are any Championship League clubs in or around London that are especially worthwhile for visitors to consider in terms of overall experience and atmosphere?