Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:13 am

I'm slightly confused about the new entry requirements in Nov for the US. Double Vaxxed travelling from the UK. I believe I can do an Antigen Lateral Flow test, but the CDC website seems to suggest that it needs to be observed? Anyone got any experience of this? The only observed tests I can find are the PCR ones and the ones Virgin link directly do are Lateral Flow non-observed (same as the UK Day 2 test)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:06 pm

Could anyone familiar with the new rules please advise- I'll be traveling from the US to EDI and transiting through LHR ( unfortunately, I will have to get out, collect my luggage, and check back in because of the way i booked). I'll land in EDI on Monday and be leaving to go back to London on Thursday where I will stay for a week. Do i need to have a day 2 PCR test twice ( once in Scotland and once again in London)?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by a_hm156
Could anyone familiar with the new rules please advise- I'll be traveling from the US to EDI and transiting through LHR ( unfortunately, I will have to get out, collect my luggage, and check back in because of the way i booked). I'll land in EDI on Monday and be leaving to go back to London on Thursday where I will stay for a week. Do i need to have a day 2 PCR test twice ( once in Scotland and once again in London)?
Going on the same route. Pretty sure it's just once in Scotland. Or if you have time when you get out in LHR, go to expresstest or something to get day 2 out of the way before EDI.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by a_hm156
You can use the rapid test in either location. The Scottish rules are aligning with the English on Monday. This all assumes you are fully vaccinated.
a_hm156 likes this.

Last edited by DaveS; Oct 29, 2021 at 12:35 am
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone read the rules to require you to retest if you travel from england to scotland less than ten days after arriving?

I'm flying into london and spending five days in england, then taking the sleeper train to scotland. The way I read the scottish government's guidance, I will need to take another day 2 test within 2 days of arriving in scotland, because my ten day travel history will include the USA. That sound right?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oopsz
Anyone read the rules to require you to retest if you travel from england to scotland less than ten days after arriving?

I'm flying into london and spending five days in england, then taking the sleeper train to scotland. The way I read the scottish government's guidance, I will need to take another day 2 test within 2 days of arriving in scotland, because my ten day travel history will include the USA. That sound right?
no you do not need to retest on that example - you are coming to Scotland having already arrived in to the UK.
Silver Fox, alex67500 and DaveS like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Virgin America Elevate Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage
I just arrived in London for a weekend after traveling to mainland Europe. I took the day two test on arrival at Heathrow and received the negative result via email. I am flying back to the United States on Sunday (in 48 hours). Am I able to use the day two negative test result for entry to the United States? Or do I have to take a fit-to-fly test?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by quikkings711
I just arrived in London for a weekend after traveling to mainland Europe. I took the day two test on arrival at Heathrow and received the negative result via email. I am flying back to the United States on Sunday (in 48 hours). Am I able to use the day two negative test result for entry to the United States? Or do I have to take a fit-to-fly test?
Depends on the provider you used, and what they put in their negative result email - not all providers include enough to satisfy the US rules for pre-departure testing.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:46 am

Randox fit to fly same day results PCR test, Heathrow walk through (behind Radisson Edwardian), Ł60 with BA discount, Amex accepted.
Arrived at my booked time, four people in the queue in front of me, took about 7-8 minutes before I got to the counter. Was promptly booked in, handed a test kit and directed towards booths. Was asked to step in almost immediately. Swab from the throat and both nostrils. She was bit rough, specially with throat, had some discomfort eating dinner later in the evening.
Swab taken 14:42, email with certificate arrived 16:51. Overall satisfied with quick turnaround.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Virgin America Elevate Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Depends on the provider you used, and what they put in their negative result email - not all providers include enough to satisfy the US rules for pre-departure testing.
I used ExpressTest at Heathrow. Does that help?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Miles & Smiles Elite
Hi folks,

I am coming to London next week for a short vacation and was wondering if someone could advise on the best and quickest way to get a covid arrival test. I am fully vaccinatied with two doses and my home country is not on the red list. Based on my preliminary research, it seems that Collinson is my best option because they have a center at T5 and they claim that you can get results in less than an hour. Ideally, I want to leave T5 straight to my hotel without worrying about my covid results...etc.

Any help or guidance would be highly appreciated

Best regards,
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by A380 9K
Hi folks,

I am coming to London next week for a short vacation and was wondering if someone could advise on the best and quickest way to get a covid arrival test. I am fully vaccinatied with two doses and my home country is not on the red list. Based on my preliminary research, it seems that Collinson is my best option because they have a center at T5 and they claim that you can get results in less than an hour. Ideally, I want to leave T5 straight to my hotel without worrying about my covid results...etc.

Best regards,
Assuming your country is on the list where the vaccination program is approved (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countrie...of-vaccination) then you have many options. You could use one of the operators at the airport such as Collinson or ExpressTest or you could use a cheaper postal test which could be delivered to your hotel before you arrive. Again, assuming you meet the vaccination criteria, then you are free from when you arrive. You do not need to wait for the result. You need to take the test before the end of day 2, with the arrival day being day 0.
HB7 and A380 9K like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by A380 9K
Hi folks,

Best regards,
Also, Collinson is no longer in the terminal, it's ExpressTest only
A380 9K likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:44 pm
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by flyslow
Also, Collinson is no longer in the terminal, it's ExpressTest only
Where is Collinson now? Is it walking distance from T5?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Hi All,

I'm taking my first trip to the UK since the pandemic in a couple of weeks, and after reviewing the list of providers on the UK government website, I'm still not sure what's the best option for my situation. Hoping someone with some experience can advise.

I arrive on Monday, Nov 15, at 8:30am from Canada. I'm fully vaccinated and do not need to quarantine, but will require the Day 2 test. I depart back for Canada on Saturday, Nov 20, at 11:10am. While this may change, Canada currently requires a PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure, so earliest would be after 11:10am on Wednesday, Nov 17.

1) Is my understanding correct that "Day 2" in this case would be Wednesday, Nov 17, and I could take the Day 2 test anytime before 11:59pm on Nov 17?
2) If #1 is correct, if I take a PCR test marketed as a Fit-to-Fly test by a provider, will I be able to use the same test as my Day 2 test? For example, I see Eurofins offers both Day 2 and Fit-to-Fly PCR tests, but they're priced differently, if I take the more expensive Fit-to-Fly test, will it meet both requirements? If not, are there other providers who do?

Many thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.