Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by john11111111111
Does anyone know if you need a PCR to leave the UK? When I travel back to Indonesia from LHR in November I will need a PCR test to show the Indonesian authorities, but I am wondering if there is also a requirement for one to enter LHR (and whether those requirements might be different from the Indonesian requirements), in which case I would need 2 PCRs instead of one. I've never had a PCR test before but I've heard they can have different sensivities etc.
No, you do not require any test to leave the UK. You only need to worry about meeting the requirements for Indonesia and anywhere you transit. Unlike a few countries, there has never been a test requirement to leave.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
My brain is fried - if I'm flying to US on a Saturday do I test on the Weds or the Thurs?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
My brain is fried - if I'm flying to US on a Saturday do I test on the Weds or the Thurs?
Quoting the CDC:

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.
Obviously account for one day later than the example!
HB7 and DaveS like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Schwann
Quoting the CDC:

Obviously account for one day later than the example!
Thank you. It really should have occurred to me to look but in the middle of buying travel insurance, filling out ESTA applications, organising car and hotel, I had cognitive overload!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Schwann and DaveS like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Just sharing my experience.

I had a last-minute trip to London come up (arrived in London Monday morning). I booked the Day 2 PCR test via Qured on Saturday afternoon US time, with courier delivery to my office. Test was delivered by 10am Tuesday morning. Courier offered to wait for me, but I asked him to come back later that afternoon instead. Test was picked up Tuesday afternoon. When I woke up Wednesday morning my results were ready.

Other than having to swab the back of my throat, which is a totally new experience for me, and the total lack of packaging for the test (it just came in a plastic baggie), this was a very simple experience.
HB7 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Just sharing my experience.

I had a last-minute trip to London come up (arrived in London Monday morning). I booked the Day 2 PCR test via Qured on Saturday afternoon US time, with courier delivery to my office. Test was delivered by 10am Tuesday morning. Courier offered to wait for me, but I asked him to come back later that afternoon instead. Test was picked up Tuesday afternoon. When I woke up Wednesday morning my results were ready.

Other than having to swab the back of my throat, which is a totally new experience for me, and the total lack of packaging for the test (it just came in a plastic baggie), this was a very simple experience.
What was the reason for the pre arrival test? Are you not vaccinated?

And just to clarify I am not making any judgement if you aren't, it is just that pre arrival tests are no more since 4 October if coming from the US and you are a US resident who has been jabbed there.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by KARFA
What was the reason for the pre arrival test? Are you not vaccinated?

And just to clarify I am not making any judgement if you aren't, it is just that pre arrival tests are no more since 4 October if coming from the US and you are a US resident who has been jabbed there.
This was a Day 2 test after arrival. The office I'm referring to is my London office. I had to order it before arrival.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Oct 20, 2021 at 11:26 am Reason: Clarifying comment
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
This was a Day 2 test after arrival. The office I'm referring to is my London office. I had to order it before arrival.
ah, sorry i misunderstood and thought you meant the pre arrival test,
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So if I have a 1 night layover in the UK between BA flights, and I'm fully vaccinated, do I still have to order a day 2 test to enter the UK?

I have 3 tests, and plan to use 1 of those for re-entry to the US. Can I just use one of those as a day 2 test? They are Abbott Binaxnow.tests.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
So if I have a 1 night layover in the UK between BA flights, and I'm fully vaccinated, do I still have to order a day 2 test to enter the UK?

I have 3 tests, and plan to use 1 of those for re-entry to the US. Can I just use one of those as a day 2 test? They are Abbott Binaxnow.tests.
As things stand, you have to buy the official day 2 test. You will need the code that is sent to you to fill out the PLF. However, you would not actually need to take the test. Assuming you arrive from the 24th onwards you can use the cheaper LFD tests which are available from £12 upwards. You can chose whichever one you want for your return to the US. It would make sense to save the UK one for a future visit as you can re-use the code.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33659591-post11603.html
aztimm and HB7 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:33 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Has the UK Gov list been announced yet? Or is that tomorrow?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by DaveS
As things stand, you have to buy the official day 2 test. You will need the code that is sent to you to fill out the PLF. However, you would not actually need to take the test. Assuming you arrive from the 24th onwards you can use the cheaper LFD tests which are available from £12 upwards. You can chose whichever one you want for your return to the US. It would make sense to save the UK one for a future visit as you can re-use the code.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33659591-post11603.html
Thank you, that sounds like a great option!
I'm checking with my hotel to make sure they will hold the mail/test for me.
So the code will be emailed, and I'll be able to use it on my PLF before I arrive? (answer: yes, the code will be displayed right after payment, and also emailed to me)
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Thank you, that sounds like a great option!
I'm checking with my hotel to make sure they will hold the mail/test for me.
So the code will be emailed, and I'll be able to use it on my PLF before I arrive? (answer: yes, the code will be displayed right after payment, and also emailed to me)
The hotels should be well used to these requests. I am sure you will not have a problem.
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:54 am

We have an unused Randox day 2/8 day PCR kit - does anyone know if its possible to use this as a fit to fly? In theory its just the same test, but with Day 2 or 8 written on the side of the box, so you would think its possible to use but I have heard of issues doing something similar with other companies.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by DG55
We have an unused Randox day 2/8 day PCR kit - does anyone know if its possible to use this as a fit to fly? In theory its just the same test, but with Day 2 or 8 written on the side of the box, so you would think its possible to use but I have heard of issues doing something similar with other companies.
In principal yes it is OK. So long as you actually get a certificate that you can show. Randox have provided this in the past, but they are not 100% reliable. Have a backup plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.