CDC Card for NHS Records

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC Card for NHS Records

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
CDC Card for NHS Records

We're moving back to the UK from Slovakia and whilst in the US over the summer have had our second Pfizer shots. (We had our first in Slovakia). The only evidence we have of this is our CDC cards.

I've contacted our local GP (who - go figure - we were still registered with for some reason...!) and they've told us that they won't accept it as proof of vaccination and that it won't be valid as an NHS COVID Pass/to avoid quarantine etc...

I find this hard to believe. Surely, particularly with vaccinated US residents now being eligible for quarantine-free travel, there is going to need to be some verification process which acknowledges the authenticity of CDC cards?

Has anyone had any experience using CDC cards in the UK and, even better, successfully migrating the vaccination records onto the NHS database to use as a COVID pass?

Many thanks
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The question has been posed in several threads (in particular, see this thread) without a firm answer I believe. See these posts and the discussion occurring in the thread before and after:
Local lockdowns in the UK
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33390281-post6323.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33390367-post9212.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33450730-post9907.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33450919-post9913.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33451145-post9915.html
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unless you are a US resident then it is correct that you are not eligible to avoid self isolation on arrival in the UK from an amber country regardless of whether you get your vaccines noted on your GP record. You need to both have the full course in the US and be a US resident.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 7, 2021 at 12:17 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both - was struggling to find things on the other thread.

To me at least, this is beyond absurd - there’s no way I’m going to grab a third jab for the sake of bureaucracy. I can clearly show the entry stamp that I was in the US and even the appointment confirmation for the CVS where I got done.

what a ….show!
LHR FLYER likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
To me at least, this is beyond absurd - there’s no way I’m going to grab a third jab for the sake of bureaucracy. I can clearly show the entry stamp that I was in the US and even the appointment confirmation for the CVS where I got done.
Not really. In FT terms, what you are trying to do has no difference as trying to book SQ by using Asia Miles.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Not really. In FT terms, what you are trying to do has no difference as trying to book SQ by using Asia Miles.
This went straight over my head I'm afraid. My point is merely that the logic doesn't stack up - what should matter is that you've had two jabs via the recognised overseas vaccination programmes and have evidence to prove that. I'll happily confess that a counterfeit CDC card probably isn't difficult to come by, but if you've got a first UK dose written on it (and the corresponding details on the NHS app), plus an appointment confirmation for your second jab, plus a stamped record of your entry to the US at a nearby airport, I'm struggling to see the need for quarantine...

The decision to discriminate by residency is arbitrary and beyond logic - are American residents somehow less likely to be carrying COVID post-vaccination than a Canadian resident, even if they've both been hanging out in the US for the month prior to their departure for LHR? Didn't think so.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
This went straight over my head I'm afraid. My point is merely that the logic doesn't stack up - what should matter is that you've had two jabs via the recognised overseas vaccination programmes and have evidence to prove that. I'll happily confess that a counterfeit CDC card probably isn't difficult to come by, but if you've got a first UK dose written on it (and the corresponding details on the NHS app), plus an appointment confirmation for your second jab, plus a stamped record of your entry to the US at a nearby airport, I'm struggling to see the need for quarantine...

The decision to discriminate by residency is arbitrary and beyond logic - are American residents somehow less likely to be carrying COVID post-vaccination than a Canadian resident, even if they've both been hanging out in the US for the month prior to their departure for LHR? Didn't think so.
honestly the simple answer is just to ignore the quarantine requirements. Plenty of people have been doing it throughout the whole pandemic, at least you don’t have to feel guilty about it.
pilot007, Cathay1101 and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reclusive46
honestly the simple answer is just to ignore the quarantine requirements. Plenty of people have been doing it throughout the whole pandemic, at least you don’t have to feel guilty about it.
At this rate, I will be.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
It's a tricky one... Your medical record is your data, so as a data subject (legal definition in the data protection act) you can request visibility of the information held about you, and if it is incorrect/missing/etc you can request that it is changed/corrected/etc. But the data controller which is this case the NHS and by proxy your GP surgery also has a legal duty to ensure that data kept about you is accurate. So they have to be able to satisfy themselves that any assertion from yourself about completion of a medical procedure is true.

The issue really here is that the records made available by the system in the US for successful completion of vaccination is not fit for purpose, and any other authority is going to struggle to accept a CDC card as a record of vaccination, not just the NHS. I suspect that this is going to end up causing a whole bunch of pain for those who have been vaccinated in the US.
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The decision to discriminate by residency is arbitrary and beyond logic...
NHS is without obligation to accept immunization record from elsewhere, especially when the vaccine is optional.

Originally Posted by plunet
It's a tricky one... Your medical record is your data, so as a data subject (legal definition in the data protection act) you can request visibility of the information held about you, and if it is incorrect/missing/etc you can request that it is changed/corrected/etc. But the data controller which is this case the NHS and by proxy your GP surgery also has a legal duty to ensure that data kept about you is accurate. So they have to be able to satisfy themselves that any assertion from yourself about completion of a medical procedure is true.

The issue really here is that the records made available by the system in the US for successful completion of vaccination is not fit for purpose, and any other authority is going to struggle to accept a CDC card as a record of vaccination, not just the NHS. I suspect that this is going to end up causing a whole bunch of pain for those who have been vaccinated in the US.
You make this way too complicated. NHS simply does not accept immunization record from elsewhere. Plain and simple.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Quite a few people have reported having their gp adding non Uk vaccines to their record, and it then showing in the NHS app. So I don’t think that’s correct.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Correct, it's not the NHS's medical record. It's your medical record. As a data subject you have rights over all data that relates to you, medical or otherwise. You can request any data in your record to be ammended, but the data controller has to be satisfied as to the accuracy.

​​​As KARFA notes, it certainly is possible to get your immunisation and indeed other medical records updated with details of procedures done elsewhere if they can be satisfied that the information being added is accurate. After all it's beneficial to both you and the NHS to have details of emergency or elective procedures done elsewhere recorded in your record that may have a material impact on future healthcare decisions.

Last edited by plunet; Aug 8, 2021 at 1:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i can also understand that right now the NHS has no interest in sorting these things out at the moment given we are still in the midst of a full vaccination campaign. going forward, sure they will have to sort this out, but like calling BA, depending on who you talk to YMMV.

but you should have expected it would be a mess if you decided to spread your vaccinations over multiple countries and expected everything to be recognized to make your life more convenient whenever you settled--least of all any european country where things have clearly been headed towards a system of electronic recognition, as opposed to the US where it would not have made much difference.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
i can also understand that right now the NHS has no interest in sorting these things out at the moment given we are still in the midst of a full vaccination campaign. going forward, sure they will have to sort this out, but like calling BA, depending on who you talk to YMMV.

but you should have expected it would be a mess if you decided to spread your vaccinations over multiple countries and expected everything to be recognized to make your life more convenient whenever you settled--least of all any european country where things have clearly been headed towards a system of electronic recognition, as opposed to the US where it would not have made much difference.
Why? I've had multiple vaccinations in multiple countries in past and never had a problem - TB shots in Australia have been readily recognised in Hong Kong and South Korea and vice-versa. Most of my vaccination records have been reflected on my NHS record for years and are readily available on the app. I've had no issue adding foreign vaccines to my NHS record on multiple other occasions, why should I have expected there to be one now...? As someone said upthread, it's in their interests to know!
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
NHS is without obligation to accept immunization record from elsewhere, especially when the vaccine is optional.

You make this way too complicated. NHS simply does not accept immunization record from elsewhere. Plain and simple.
This is patently false.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.