Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Getting around London 2021. Oyster still a thing?

Getting around London 2021. Oyster still a thing?

Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think there's a misreading of the web page there. There are weekly caps for both bus/tram and "all modes" - i.e. there is a lower-priced cap for "bus/tram only".

IIRC, though, it's a set week, not a rolling week.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stut
I think there's a misreading of the web page there. There are weekly caps for both bus/tram and "all modes" - i.e. there is a lower-priced cap for "bus/tram only".

IIRC, though, it's a set week, not a rolling week.
The TfL website is often unclear and inconsistent, and this is such an example. Further down that page, it says:
A weekly cap is calculated for journeys using contactless (card or device) or an Oyster card (bus and tram journeys only), that start on Monday and end on a Sunday.
I'm still not really sure how to unpack that statement.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC
It doesn't matter whether it's rail, tube, bus, tram, etc. Provided it is zonal transport, the weekly cap (bus/tram, or all modes) applies equally on a pay as you go basis on both Oyster and contactless, based upon a Monday-Sunday week.

Oyster has options which contactless does not have to prepay for a weekly or longer season ticket, and in the case of the weekly you are not constrained to a Mon-Sun week.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:55 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by plunet
It doesn't matter whether it's rail, tube, bus, tram, etc. Provided it is zonal transport, the weekly cap (bus/tram, or all modes) applies equally on a pay as you go basis on both Oyster and contactless, based upon a Monday-Sunday week.

Oyster has options which contactless does not have to prepay for a weekly or longer season ticket, and in the case of the weekly you are not constrained to a Mon-Sun week.
No, the daily caps across all modes apply to oyster and contactless, but the weekly caps for all modes apply to contactless, while only the bus and tram weekly cap will be applied on Oyster.

This is partly because on contactless, the system can work out the cheapest combinations of zonal caps plus single fares at the end of the day before charging your card, and from Thursday onwards it can also look back at your journey history since Monday and recalculate the cheapest combination of weekly zonal caps plus single fares, then charge you the difference between the new weekly total and what you have already been charged.

On Oyster journeys are charged as you make them and there is no mechanism to recalculate the caps after the fact (or it's too difficult), so only the bus and tram weekly cap is implemented. What I don't know is if you are charged Ł0 for bus travel on Monday to Thursday because you already did some train travel earlier in the day and reached the daily cap, but your bus travel would have been charged at Ł4.65 had you not reached the daily caps, would bus travel on Saturday then be free?
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
https://oysterfares.com

For in depth understanding of how oyster works.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Misco60
I have spent many very happy days in the last month or so wandering around the British Museum and Tate Britain, enjoying the lack of crowds and seeing things I've never seen before despite countless visits.

They're still free, but you do have to book a timed slot online before arrival. In the case of the British Museum, it is often impossible to get a slot on the day so plan ahead.
There are a limited (and not advertised) number of walk up tickets available through the day as they work the no-shows out of the system.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will probably prebook a ticket for when I am in london in mid july. At the moment the site shows plenty of availability until end July ( currently end of booking period). Some limited availability times for tomorrow and more restrcited times on Saturday ( ie first time on Sat is 1220 compared to 1010 during the week)

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by :D!
No, the daily caps across all modes apply to oyster and contactless, but the weekly caps for all modes apply to contactless, while only the bus and tram weekly cap will be applied on Oyster.

This is partly because on contactless, the system can work out the cheapest combinations of zonal caps plus single fares at the end of the day before charging your card, and from Thursday onwards it can also look back at your journey history since Monday and recalculate the cheapest combination of weekly zonal caps plus single fares, then charge you the difference between the new weekly total and what you have already been charged.

On Oyster journeys are charged as you make them and there is no mechanism to recalculate the caps after the fact (or it's too difficult), so only the bus and tram weekly cap is implemented. What I don't know is if you are charged Ł0 for bus travel on Monday to Thursday because you already did some train travel earlier in the day and reached the daily cap, but your bus travel would have been charged at Ł4.65 had you not reached the daily caps, would bus travel on Saturday then be free?
Interesting. So if I might exceed the weekly tube cap, I should use contactless rather than Oyster?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:39 am

FWIW I found it was much faster to activate the gate with Oyster than my phone. If you are traveling at peak times, that can annoy those behind you. I should try my phone again and see if that has improved.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
FWIW I found it was much faster to activate the gate with Oyster than my phone. If you are traveling at peak times, that can annoy those behind you. I should try my phone again and see if that has improved.
If you have Express pass activated on an iPhone it is now only marginally slower. I stretch my arm a little bit further ahead of me and generally don’t have to break stride.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Oyster will be quicker than Contactless bank card will be slightly quicker than ApplePay or Google play. But the differences are marginal. You generally won't cause a gate jam unless you fumble or there's some hoodlum behind you trying to tailgate through using your entry.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you have Express pass activated on an iPhone it is now only marginally slower. I stretch my arm a little bit further ahead of me and generally don’t have to break stride.
Thanks for that... I didn't know that existed, so I've just enabled in on my Apple Watch.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
So, OP here. I never actually used mass transportation on that particular trip to London. From very close to the Tate Modern, I walked everywhere. I walked as far as Greenwich, using the route recommended by Google. Trust me, you don’t get to un-see Deptford High Street. Then again, I wouldn’t have enjoyed a pint under the arches, at Southwark Brewery, had I not walked that walk (there and back).

If you enjoy walking, London is surely the ultimate walking city as far as the UK goes. From the Tate Modern, I recommend South Bank to MI6, then across the river and onto Parliament, to Horse Guards Parade, to The Mall, to Buckingham Palace, to Mayfair (Pint at Ye Grapes as patrons turn up in Bentleys), to Oxford Street, to Covent Garden (via Theatre Land plus Pint or more at The Harp, with off duty coppers in attendance), to the South Bank (pint and street food while walking) to bed.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Oyster not used in almost 3 yrs

I haven't used my Oyster PAYG since 2019 (pre-covid). Will I still be able to use my card when I visit London at the end of the year?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:35 am

travelinfoo - the system will have flagged your card as "inactive" due to the long gap with no usage. But if there is PAYG credit left on the card, it can be used. Find a member of staff in the ticket area of any tube station and they will be able to reactivate the card.
dhuey, adrianlondon and plunet like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.