FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Wendy's ( US chain) returning to the UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2039766-wendys-us-chain-returning-uk.html)

The _Banking_Scot May 9, 2021 1:22 pm

Wendy's ( US chain) returning to the UK

Hi,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57047642

Wendy's the second largest burger chain in the US is returning to the UK after 20 years.

Their aim is to build up to 400 stores ( first one apparently in Reading in June 2021) with 12,000 jobs potentially.

Regards

TBS

USA_flyer May 10, 2021 2:24 am

I'd be happy to see In N Out.

ajeleonard May 10, 2021 2:28 am

Because there’s such a critical shortage of burger chains in the UK?.....

Swanhunter May 10, 2021 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 33239776)
Because there’s such a critical shortage of burger chains in the UK?.....

That was my thought! It’s a tough market place for sure and post Brexit finding staff is going to be really hard for them.

lhrsfo May 10, 2021 5:00 am

I don't like to have ill will towards strangers, and I do think that Wendys is much better than McDs or Burger King, but I really hope that they don't succeed or knock out some other chains. High Streets are already ruined by burger places, not to mention the nation's health.

Jaimito Cartero May 10, 2021 5:02 am

I’m not sure what Wendy’s appeal is outside the US.

In the US, I used to eat there once a week, when they had a location near my house. They closed that one, and now it’s about 2.5 miles to the nearest one. Unfortunately, there is a Chick-fil-a, Whataburger, and In-n-Out burger nearby, so they get no business from me, lately.

I’ve eaten at Wendy’s outside the US, in Central America and Asia, and they were even less appealing there.

realgaga May 10, 2021 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 33239927)
I’m not sure what Wendy’s appeal is outside the US.

American tourists?

VSLover May 10, 2021 5:49 am

much prefer wendys over in-n-out (which is overrated). but fast food isnt really my thing but hey i wouldnt mind a wendys burger right now for a bit of nostalgia!

Internaut May 10, 2021 7:39 am

Wendy's will encounter some tough local competition. On top of McDs and Burger King we have a lot of quality local (and sometimes very local) premium alternatives (thinking places like Five Guys and Archies, in the North West).

warakorn May 10, 2021 7:49 am

Their aim is to build up to 400 stores ( first one apparently in Reading in June 2021) with 12,000 jobs potentially.
Nope! These stores are a built up and financed by some (poor) franchisees.
How do you stop being a millionaire -> invest in a fast-food franchise!

VickiSoCal May 10, 2021 7:57 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 33240196)
Nope! These stores are a built up and financed by some (poor) franchisees.
How do you stop being a millionaire -> invest in a fast-food franchise!

Reading and Oxford will be company owned.
Likely after that they will go with larger franchisees not mom and pop "poor" types. Single unit franchisees are rare these days.

enviroian May 10, 2021 9:01 am

I didn't even know they left the UK.

What about Wimpy's? I used to get one of the those juicy burgers back in the 70's when I was kid right before my mom dumped us off at Dreamland

LOL

realgaga May 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33240396)

What about Wimpy's? I used to get one of the those juicy burgers back in the 70's when I was kid right before my mom dumped us off at Dreamland

LOL

There's a Wimpy in my town centre and it's quite popular. Haven't been in there though.

The _Banking_Scot May 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33240396)

LOL

Hi,

Ah ! Wimpy's -:cool: that takes me back to the 80's and 90's when they were more widespread ( including 1 in Falkirk) Now there are only 3 in Scotland ( Fraserburgh, Dingwall and Kilmarnock) and 71 in the UK

Regards

TBS

goodeats21 May 11, 2021 5:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 33239924)
I don't like to have ill will towards strangers, and I do think that Wendys is much better than McDs or Burger King, but I really hope that they don't succeed or knock out some other chains. High Streets are already ruined by burger places, not to mention the nation's health.

I think the only sensible reply is to retaliate by opening up a large number of quality fish and chips shops all across the USA.

Please!

:D