Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Legitimate reason for staying in a hotel at the moment?

Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

We have builders in at the moment. I'm not supervising them (thankfully) but it is making the whole working from home thing hell. Would this be a legitimate reason bolt myself in a hotel room for 2-3 nights (have a rather tight deadline to meet)?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC
How about an Airbnb?
Internaut likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Internaut
We have builders in at the moment. I'm not supervising them (thankfully) but it is making the whole working from home thing hell. Would this be a legitimate reason bolt myself in a hotel room for 2-3 nights (have a rather tight deadline to meet)?
hi,

I think the regulations state that you can stay in a hotel if you are unable to return to your main residence. I would have thought that having builders in would be sufficient reason.

Regards

Tbs
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Thanks. It’s not affecting my allergies (yet) and I have permission to go into the office over the next few days. I might soldier through it.... Airbnb is bloody appealing though.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The current rules covering Holiday Accommodation (including Hotels and AirBnB type places) are in The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021, you can see the list at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...1/paragraph/12

Based on my experiences of travelling for work, most hotels do want some bit of paper, but they generally ask too many questions about the detailed reasons given, as long as the general name + dates + overall reason are listed.

If your builder writes you a note saying they need to make the house temporarily unhabitable for a few days due to work, you should be fine. If you have something from the builders saying they are going to be making lots of noise and advise everyone present to wear ear protection, coupled with a letter from work saying you're needed on calls, again I'd think you'd be fine.

Overall though, if you ring the hotel you're planning to stay in, say you're planning to stay due to building works making it not practical to stay home, and ask what paperwork they'll need, you'll get a better property-specific answer!
farci and Internaut like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.