Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' at arrivals

Heathrow Airport seven-hour queues 'inhumane' at arrivals

Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:12 am

Took me more than an hour for the e-Gates. There were four (as in 4) agents processing the main queue, another sort of standing there getting abused by passengers, one or maybe two for “all other passports” and one for the PRMs. 8 UKBF agents in a hall with space for 40 if not more desks.

When is Priti getting the P45?
adrianlondon and ExpatExp like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Arrived yesterday in T5 on QR. Went through the UK/EU line, egates were open, the queue was about 10 minutes. The other passports queue was double the size and much slower though.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:58 am

As a datapoint, I arrived this morning at 0955, T5, on AA. There was literally no queue at the E-Gates at all. Total clearance time was 30 seconds. In fact, when we went to customs (nothing to declare) there were desks where customs people would normally be sitting, and there was nobody in the room. Everybody just walked straight through. Not even anyone to wave you on or anything. It was like they were all on lunch break.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by aviators99
As a datapoint, I arrived this morning at 0955, T5, on AA. There was literally no queue at the E-Gates at all. Total clearance time was 30 seconds. In fact, when we went to customs (nothing to declare) there were desks where customs people would normally be sitting, and there was nobody in the room. Everybody just walked straight through. Not even anyone to wave you on or anything. It was like they were all on lunch break.

Hi,

To be fair, I have often gone through customs without seeing anyone in the green ( or the old blue eu channel) but I assume that you are being watched all the way through.
Only on a few occasions have I seen people having their cases examined.
Regards
TBS
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
T3 arrival this morning, a Wednesday, just before 8 am. Queues stretched out of the immigration hall, as far as the moving walkways. Reached the e-gates 24 minutes after joining the queue at the end of the moving walkways. Those who weren't eligible for e-gates were waiting significantly longer.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
T3 arrival this morning... Those who weren't eligible for e-gates were waiting significantly longer.
By chance do you know, are those that used to be eligible for e-gates on US passports still allowed to use them in pandemic times? I'm coming in on AA to T3 this Sunday.
(I was on the trusted traveler scheme until it ended a few years back, then told I could keep using the e-gates - but found it hit and miss if the steward would let me into the queue upon seeing my American passport in hand!)
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
By chance do you know, are those that used to be eligible for e-gates on US passports still allowed to use them in pandemic times? I'm coming in on AA to T3 this Sunday.
(I was on the trusted traveler scheme until it ended a few years back, then told I could keep using the e-gates - but found it hit and miss if the steward would let me into the queue upon seeing my American passport in hand!)

Hi,

I believe they are.

Regards

TBS
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
T3 arrival this morning, a Wednesday, just before 8 am. Queues stretched out of the immigration hall, as far as the moving walkways. Reached the e-gates 24 minutes after joining the queue at the end of the moving walkways. Those who weren't eligible for e-gates were waiting significantly longer.
ugh, sounds like still an issue. Doing a transfer from an AA flight (not sure which terminal it will arrive, T3?) to T2 on two separate tickets with checked luggage. Have 4 hours. So fingers crossed all around.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
As long as your passport has a smart chip.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
ugh, sounds like still an issue. Doing a transfer from an AA flight (not sure which terminal it will arrive, T3?) to T2 on two separate tickets with checked luggage. Have 4 hours. So fingers crossed all around.
If your AA flight is from JFK youll arrive at T5, all other AA flights use T3
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just as a Data Point:

Arrived T3 at 1pm yesterday from LAX.
US passport worked fine at Egates; showed zero paperwork (booked Day 2 test, vax card, etc), spoke to no one. (I uploaded all data in Verifly the night before departure.)
Border was empty - I was the 5th person off the plane, and there were a total of 4 people in front of me at the E gates. There were maybe three or four parties standing in the queue for the "all others" line.
From aircraft to baggage belt was a total of 10 mins including walk time.
(Four belts running including our flight in the baggage hall... be aware, luggage trollies were not stocked at both ends - only one... so it was a hike to go get a trolley and bring it back to the belt.)
YMMV
sof_lance likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Landed at T5 Sunday night around 11:40 pm. No queues for e-gates or desks
sof_lance likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Landed T5 at 17:00, no queue to the e-gates, like 25 of them were working (first time during pandemic i saw so many open!). Luggage on the other hand, took an hour as there was a 'shortage of baggage handlers' and no gate staff to meet the gate so we waited some time to even get off the plane in the first place!
sof_lance likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:29 am

Landed Sept 11 at 3:15 pm. No one available to work the ramp, so we didn’t deplane until around 3:40. No lines - cruised right up to the e-gates. E-gates had a very high failure rate - both my husband and I failed, but the stewards told us to try different machines rather than sending us to the very long failure line. Luckily we both had better success at the second machines. Little tip that the steward gave me - remove your mask entirely (don’t have it hanging off one one ear). That, plus a new machine, did the trick.

I think it’s all highly variable - we landed early, ahead of a few large long haul BA flights. Others later in the day who were stuck amongst those flights may not have been as lucky.
sof_lance likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Buster
Landed Sept 11 at 3:15 pm. No one available to work the ramp, so we didnt deplane until around 3:40. No lines - cruised right up to the e-gates. E-gates had a very high failure rate - both my husband and I failed, but the stewards told us to try different machines rather than sending us to the very long failure line. Luckily we both had better success at the second machines. Little tip that the steward gave me - remove your mask entirely (dont have it hanging off one one ear). That, plus a new machine, did the trick.

I think its all highly variable - we landed early, ahead of a few large long haul BA flights. Others later in the day who were stuck amongst those flights may not have been as lucky.
If all the e-gates are open then even with hundreds of people its actually not that bad like a 10-15 min wait, its when they don't have e-gates or only a few operating that really cause the problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.