Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Vaccine passports for UK citizens for international travel

Vaccine passports for UK citizens for international travel

Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Misco60
I'd like to give the developers of the NHS app some credit here, and suggest that they are deliberately delaying the appearance of the booster in the app because they know that many countries consider someone fully vaccinated only after two weeks have elapsed since their last jab. I'd like to, but in reality they probably haven't considered that and are simply very inefficient at uploading data.
Many here have posted that the booster appeared the next day, which was my experience too. There are others that have had a real battle to get the app to show the correct data. I used the main vaccination centres for my jabs which may be more reliable for uploading the data. for my booster last week it was the first time the jab was not delayed whilst they cursed the IT system.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My booster appeared within 24 hours (jabbed at 0825, in the app at 0615 next morning when I turned phone on).
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I haven't had my booster appear yet (got it 10 days ago), but was at a pharmacy, not my GP's office or a vaccination centre, and I am sure that's the cause of the delay. I've no travel planned until second week of January (to Italy), so hopefully I've got lots of time to sort it out in the event I need it for then - if not for my planned trip to France in April.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VSLover
i dont see why the booster would show under the travel app because (1) its not intended for everyone, (2) the two jabs + 14days are the complete vaccination currently and (3) the booster causes confusion as i experience traveling with my parents in october through europe. the restaurants etc were fixated on the final date since the CDC cards show all 3 jabs when really they were fully vaccinated + 14 days by last march. so i dont see why it would show under travel at the moment.
On the app, you can cycle through the 3 shots and the second shot, in addition to the QR code, says "2 of 2" in addition to providing the vaccination details. If you are concerned about them being confused, just show the screen for the second shot instead of the screen for the booster. As others have already pointed out, some countries do, or are about to, ask for evidence of the booster. It is therefore a good thing that this should appear in the NHS app.
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:08 am

Sorry if I've missed a discussion on this elsewhere, but it looks like the UK have finally made a firm commitment to help those living in the UK get their overseas vaccines recognised. The announcement is very light on details so it isn't worth holding our breath yet, but it is nice to see something more official than vague promises on twitter / hints by ministers: https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-res...ered-overseas/

Fingers crossed it does happen, as I think it would be very helpful for everyone who wants one to have access to a single document that reports all doses they have had, be they original, boosters etc.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by fc0175
Sorry if I've missed a discussion on this elsewhere, but it looks like the UK have finally made a firm commitment to help those living in the UK get their overseas vaccines recognised. The announcement is very light on details so it isn't worth holding our breath yet, but it is nice to see something more official than vague promises on twitter / hints by ministers: https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-res...ered-overseas/

Fingers crossed it does happen, as I think it would be very helpful for everyone who wants one to have access to a single document that reports all doses they have had, be they original, boosters etc.
I see no reason to not copy the entire text here since it is important to many:

Recording COVID-19 vaccinations administered overseas

A new service will be launched in December 2021 to capture evidence of COVID-19 vaccinations administered in countries other than England, Scotland and Wales and have these recorded in the National Immunisation Management System (NIMS), the central database for vaccine information.

Closed pilots have been running at selected vaccination centre sites across England to test the service.

The pilot involves eligible users being invited to book a special appointment to have their record updated if they have received one of the four MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) approved vaccine types:
  • Astra Zeneca (Vaxzevria)
  • Pfizer (Comirnaty)
  • Janssen
  • Moderna (Spikevax)
A national rollout involving more vaccination centre sites in each region will follow, alongside further details on specific locations, what is required as evidence to have overseas vaccines checked and recorded, and how to use the service.

The service should ensure that a larger number of records are updated without a need for GP involvement.
louie-m, plunet, HGOLI and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I haven't had my booster appear yet (got it 10 days ago), but was at a pharmacy, not my GP's office or a vaccination centre, and I am sure that's the cause of the delay. I've no travel planned until second week of January (to Italy), so hopefully I've got lots of time to sort it out in the event I need it for then - if not for my planned trip to France in April.
It took 11 days, but my Covid booster showed up today in the NHS app in both my GP record and the Covid pass. Seems like if you want to get something in the system quick for travel, going to a national vaccine site is the best way to go, but otherwise it will eventually show up. So, Omicron results pending, Italy and France potentially on the list for travel!

Also, used the Italian VerificaC19 app to test out my QR codes from the NHS app (which is what immigration, restaurants, bars, other public venues use to check your status), and both the 2nd and 3rd jabs gave a green checkmark saying I was okay to enter.
DaveS likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Going to book my booster online (age 30+ with second dose 4 months ago), when entering my NHS number it just redirects me to book my 1st and 2nd dose, doesn't seem to understand I'm wanting the booster. Both 1st and 2nd doses are showing in the NHS app so don't know why it wants me to book them again. Do we have to wait for the website/booking engine to update for the booster jab?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by seattle29
Going to book my booster online (age 30+ with second dose 4 months ago), when entering my NHS number it just redirects me to book my 1st and 2nd dose, doesn't seem to understand I'm wanting the booster. Both 1st and 2nd doses are showing in the NHS app so don't know why it wants me to book them again. Do we have to wait for the website/booking engine to update for the booster jab?
Perhaps it's a temp timing glitch now they have lowered the criteria?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by seattle29
You should be able to sort that out at the vaccination centre if you make a booking for a 1st jab.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
You should be able to sort that out at the vaccination centre if you make a booking for a 1st jab.
But.... will they get turned away, when they realise they're not eligible for a booster? I've had friends try, who are 6+ months from their 2nd jab (as originally jabbed when a care worker), but as they're no longer a care worker and they're not 40+ they're not eligible, so they were turned away.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It took 11 days, but my Covid booster showed up today in the NHS app in both my GP record and the Covid pass. Seems like if you want to get something in the system quick for travel, going to a national vaccine site is the best way to go, but otherwise it will eventually show up.
I had my booster at my local pharmacy. I asked the person doing the injection when the NHS records and app would be updated. He told me overnight. I was a little sceptical but he was right: the morning after I received the booster, the NHS app did show the booster. So, YMMV.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
But.... will they get turned away, when they realise they're not eligible for a booster? I've had friends try, who are 6+ months from their 2nd jab (as originally jabbed when a care worker), but as they're no longer a care worker and they're not 40+ they're not eligible, so they were turned away.
Fair point, you would need to be eligible. I am not sure when the new rules start.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It took 11 days, but my Covid booster showed up today in the NHS app in both my GP record and the Covid pass. Seems like if you want to get something in the system quick for travel, going to a national vaccine site is the best way to go, but otherwise it will eventually show up. So, Omicron results pending, Italy and France potentially on the list for travel!
in
Pharmacies will vary, but they are not usually well staffed and so delays can happen there. They tend to be on the receiving end of NHS Digital, rather than at the sending end. So yes a National Vaccine Centre will be process driven and will get your data in. Even more stringent will be GP, PCN or GP Federation sites, since primary care spends all day long with Pinnacle, and uses Pinnacle to check that their patient lists are doing OK on vaccines. In both of those latter cases, if there was some data outage (and Pinnacle definitely has its moments) then it is within our instructions to update data, so long as it was done at that same centre. Your little blue card will help with this process. Whereas a pharmacy may well only have one person doing data input, and it may not be their highest priority.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DaveS
Fair point, you would need to be eligible. I am not sure when the new rules start.
I would expect next week. JCVI has only made its decision today and it has a few other hoops to get through on the NHS side. Moreover, to prevent a rush of lower priority groups next week, they may well stagger the age groups a bit. But those over 30 and 6 months past vaccine 2 (the new minima after dose2 is 3 months, which I'm not sure is a good idea, but anyways) should be able to get appointments in the next 3 weeks or so. Stocks of Pfizer are not high, so boosters may well be Moderna.
DaveS likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.