Wiki Posts
Search

Mandatory (and one optional) COVID test fees if visiting UK from USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The CDC order requires a written lab report. The NHS tests will only provide an SMS and email, no lab report. Additionally most airlines have been told not to accept NHS tests for travel. So I’d double check...
The CDC Order does no such thing.

It expressly provides for "electronic" reports and does not require a "signature" or even the name of the individual who took or conducted the test. Rather, contact information for the laboratory itself suffices.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
The pre-departure test for the US may be as far as 3 calendar days prior to departure. Thus, as early as Day 4. So long as the third "inbound" test meets the requirements for US entry, OP can use it for that. A quick look suggests that the UK post-arrival tests do meet the CDC Order requirements for the US (as well they should).
I know the pre-departure test going back to the US can be an anti-gen (and taken at LHR) how about the test required for entry into the UK--does that have to be a PCR? I would think that if I get a test 24 hours before entering the UK I will use those results to satisfy day 2 and since I'm leaving day 7 I won't need (obviously) day 8.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by enviroian
I know the pre-departure test going back to the US can be an anti-gen (and taken at LHR) how about the test required for entry into the UK--does that have to be a PCR? I would think that if I get a test 24 hours before entering the UK I will use those results to satisfy day 2 and since I'm leaving day 7 I won't need (obviously) day 8.
Gov.UK web site:This could include tests such as:
  • a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device

Information that the test result must include

Your test result must be in either English, French or Spanish. Translations will not be accepted.

You must provide the original test result certificate. It must include the following information:
  • your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • your date of birth or age
  • the result of the test
  • the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider
  • the name of the test provider and their contact details
  • the name of the test device
If the test result does not include this information you may not be able to board, and may not be able to travel to England. If you arrive without a test result that includes this information, you might have to pay a Ł500 fine.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You have to sign up and pay for the 2 Covid tests you must take during quarantine. You get a reference number that must be included when you fill out the Passenger Locator Form.

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-ukTo complete the passenger locator form you need:
  • your passport details
  • your travel details, including times and dates
  • the address where you will stay in the UK (if applicable)
  • a booking reference number and the name of the test provider, if you’re using Test to Release to find out if you can end self-isolation early
If you’re arriving in the UK after 14 February, you’ll also need:
  • booking reference numbers for the 2 coronavirus tests you must get after arriving in the UK
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CDC Order does no such thing.

It expressly provides for "electronic" reports and does not require a "signature" or even the name of the individual who took or conducted the test. Rather, contact information for the laboratory itself suffices.
...which won’t be provided on the NHS email or SMS.

good point - the order does say written or electronic.

I guess you could argue that the NHS logo provides sufficient verification but I know of people denied boarding with only the NHS test and airlines have been specifically told not to accept it.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Feb 13, 2021 at 10:29 am
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
...which won’t be provided on the NHS email or SMS.

good point - the order does say written or electronic.

I guess you could argue that the NHS logo provides sufficient verification but I know of people denied boarding with only the NHS test and airlines have been specifically told not to accept it.
I suspect that you are confusing issues in the past with respect to the use of NHS tests which were of concern, not for their accuracy, but because their cost is carried by the taxpayer. Indeed, the new scheme expressly prohibits the use of NHS tests for the test & release program.

"You cannot take a test through NHS Test & Trace to shorten your self-isolation period. You must continue to self-isolate if the result from an NHS Test & Trace test is negative."

The going forward scheme for "test out" is expressly a privately-paid system for those who wish to shorten their period of quarantine / isolation.

The question at hand is whether one may now use one of those tests for the purposes of entry to the US. The requirements for entry to the US are set by the US just as entry to the UK is set by the UK.

If one's second or third UK entry test is timely for entry to the US on return and it meets the relatively minimal requirements set by the US, it would not be for an air carrier to apply its social judgment. Thus, if one had a 10-day visit to the UK and tested out on Day 8, that Day 8 test result would be useable for one's Day 10 (or even 11) departure from the UK to the US.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that you are confusing issues in the past with respect to the use of NHS tests which were of concern, not for their accuracy, but because their cost is carried by the taxpayer. Indeed, the new scheme expressly prohibits the use of NHS tests for the test & release program.

"You cannot take a test through NHS Test & Trace to shorten your self-isolation period. You must continue to self-isolate if the result from an NHS Test & Trace test is negative."

The going forward scheme for "test out" is expressly a privately-paid system for those who wish to shorten their period of quarantine / isolation.

The question at hand is whether one may now use one of those tests for the purposes of entry to the US. The requirements for entry to the US are set by the US just as entry to the UK is set by the UK.

If one's second or third UK entry test is timely for entry to the US on return and it meets the relatively minimal requirements set by the US, it would not be for an air carrier to apply its social judgment. Thus, if one had a 10-day visit to the UK and tested out on Day 8, that Day 8 test result would be useable for one's Day 10 (or even 11) departure from the UK to the US.
I was posting about the Day 2 and Day 8 tests, not the Day 5 Test to Release.

Without breaching confidentiality, I know a lot about this programme from the inside and the Day 2 and Day 8 tests are 100% standard NHS tests processed just as if you go to local test site or order a home kit. They just happen to be chargeable.

You have raised a good point about making people aware of this and will feed into the policy team this weekend.

However the test used for Test to Release on Day 5 is privately procured and could potentially be used for travel.

How we’ve ended up with 2 differing overlapping testing routes for international travel is an interesting question...
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Markie
You must provide the original test result certificate. It must include the following information:
  • your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • your date of birth or age
  • the result of the test
  • the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider
  • the name of the test provider and their contact details
  • the name of the test device
I was wondering has anyone had any experience with what's accepted in terms of a certificate for a pre-departure antigen test, in particular the point I've highlighted above (name of test device). I'm flying BER-LHR on Monday and hoping to keep the costs down by using an antigen test for my pre-departure test, but I'm not sure it satisfies the requirements - see attached. This is a certificate from a test centre I've used before and would hope to use this time again. It describes the test device as "a CE-certified rapid antigen test listed by the [German] Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Services", but does not explicitly give the name of the test. Is this sort of thing accepted?

Antigen test certificate
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Indigo2
I was wondering has anyone had any experience with what's accepted in terms of a certificate for a pre-departure antigen test, in particular the point I've highlighted above (name of test device). I'm flying BER-LHR on Monday and hoping to keep the costs down by using an antigen test for my pre-departure test, but I'm not sure it satisfies the requirements - see attached. This is a certificate from a test centre I've used before and would hope to use this time again. It describes the test device as "a CE-certified rapid antigen test listed by the [German] Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Services", but does not explicitly give the name of the test. Is this sort of thing accepted?

Antigen test certificate
Yes as far as I can see this should be fine - see UK testing requirements - they're no less than 97% specificity and 80% sensitivity. To be safe I'd carry a print-out of the attached which shows there's no specific requirement for PCR... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...vel-to-england
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can someone please direct me to the link or the thread that tells me where I can pre-purchase the day 2 and day 8 covid test package? There are so many threads out there it's a bit confusing.

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can someone please direct me to the link or the thread that tells me where I can pre-purchase the day 2 and day 8 covid test package? There are so many threads out there it's a bit confusing.

Thanks
see here, post 6015 has some details and the link to the site to order the day 2&8 test package from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...tests-401.html
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
see here, post 6015 has some details and the link to the site to order the day 2&8 test package from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...tests-401.html

much appreciated.

ETA I noticed this: "You specify a delivery address for the test package on the booking site". So looks like I order the test from here but it doesn't say how far in advance I should order it to ensure it's at the place I'm staying at in the UK (?). Also is this a self administered test? How long do results take?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
much appreciated.

ETA I noticed this: "You specify a delivery address for the test package on the booking site". So looks like I order the test from here but it doesn't say how far in advance I should order it to ensure it's at the place I'm staying at in the UK (?). Also is this a self administered test? How long do results take?
I am not sure tbh. It may be worth asking in the thread - hopefully someone will have done it and be able to pass on their experience.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The orders are all batched up and despatched either the day before arrival - or if late ordered on the day of arrival. That gives at least 2 days for the tests to arrive at your delivery address via Royal Mail. I think there is a early ordering limitation of 28 days but that is not my bit of the programme.

The test and results process are standard NHS. Nose and mouth swab. Return by priority post box. Results normally within 48 hours of return, sent by SMS and email. No certificate per se.
enviroian and KARFA like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Feb 20, 2021 at 2:04 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
One peculiarity of this new post-arrival testing policy I'm somewhat perplexed by is the ability for a self-isolating traveller to escape quarantine on the 5th day with a rapid LAMP test, of questionable efficacy, only to then be found to have COVID on the 8th day after their arrival when they take their mandatory gold-standard PCR...

It really makes you wonder... Are the UK govt just requiring tests post-arrival - at great expense - to erect financial barriers to travel in lieu of legal ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.