Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Permissable to break quarantine to get a COVID test for later travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

My next itinerary sees me landing in the UK from a 'red' country so I will need to quarantine.
However, after 2 days I would need to go to a clinic to get tested to allow me to leave the UK a further two days after that.
Anyone know if this is a valid reason to break quarantine?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You can read the law yourself at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/568/contents

Section 4 contains
(9) During the period of their self-isolation, P may not leave, or be outside of, the place where P is self-isolating except—

(a)to travel in order to leave England, provided that they do so directly,

(b)to seek medical assistance, where this is required urgently or on the advice of a registered medical practitioner, including to access [F21services from dentists, opticians, audiologists, chiropodists, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health practitioners, including services relating to mental health],
9a won't cover you to get the test, only for leaving a few days later. 9b would only seem to cover you if you got a Doctor or Nurse or similar to say it was needed. After mid-December when test-to-release comes in, there is an explicit additional exemption for going to get a test for potential release, which does seem to suggest that the current exemptions aren't enough to allow you to go get a NHS covid test without symptoms + advice.

I'd say it looks iffy without a discussion with a GP / Nurse / etc first.

However... If you can find a statement from the Chief Medical Officer or similar of the country you're going to saying a test is required, you could potentially say you are then acting on advice of a registered medical practitioner!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would very much doubt that any doctor or clinic would be prepared to carry out an on-premises test for someone in quarantine.

The solution would be to get an in-home test if available for the type of test you require.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would very much doubt that any doctor or clinic would be prepared to carry out an on-premises test for someone in quarantine.
This might be an oversight on the part of Boots, but they don't list that as a requirement for their covid testing in-store

From https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=11352 , the page to book an appointment after paying for the test:
If you are flying, are you booking the appointment 72 hours before your departure to allow time for results to be returned to you in the correct time frame.

Are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19 – if you have any symptoms please stay at home and follow UK government guidance.
When I went for a pre-flight test at Boots yesterday, I wasn't asked if I was in quarantine, just asked to confirm I didn't have symptoms and there was the right amount of time before my flight.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Thanks, I read it the same way. I was hoping to get a test to allay any fears. But I may just test on arrival at my destination since they allow this too.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
This might be an oversight on the part of Boots, but they don't list that as a requirement for their covid testing in-store

From https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=11352 , the page to book an appointment after paying for the test:

When I went for a pre-flight test at Boots yesterday, I wasn't asked if I was in quarantine, just asked to confirm I didn't have symptoms and there was the right amount of time before my flight.
Do other shop staff routinely ask you if you are in quarantine when you enter? Even if it would be against the law to go for a test, Boots staff have no power to do anything. They are not authorised persons so they can't direct you to go home, and if you happened to be infected the "damage" is already done by you going there in the first place.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
The quarantine basically isn't enforced. So it's up to you, whether to get your test done after 2 days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.