Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK lockdown flying

UK lockdown flying

Old Nov 11, 20, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
UK lockdown flying

Due to depart LHR to DXB for important meetings - does anyone have any experience of flying from the Uk. Would I require employers letter of confirmation at all? If so, thatís not an issue. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11, 20, 9:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
Due to depart LHR to DXB for important meetings - does anyone have any experience of flying from the Uk. Would I require employers letter of confirmation at all? If so, thatís not an issue. Thanks in advance.
apparently no questions asked...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Probably not a bad idea. I assume you are familiar with the COVID test requirements for Dubai.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:30 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Gold
Wasn't asked for anything of the sort this morning.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew ex LHR on Friday and wasn't asked for anything.
No PLF checks on arrival either.
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
Due to depart LHR to DXB for important meetings - does anyone have any experience of flying from the Uk. Would I require employers letter of confirmation at all? If so, that’s not an issue. Thanks in advance.
I highly doubt that would be necessary. Providing evidence isn't mentioned on gov.uk and airlines have certainly not been asked to request proof. A verbal confirmation that you are travelling for work purposes should suffice.
LETTERBOY and chris63 like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Nov 12, 20 at 3:50 am
Old Nov 12, 20, 9:50 am

What about driving to the airport any issues? Thanks
Old Nov 12, 20, 10:46 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
This is the crux of it - not so much once you get inside the terminal, but if you're stopped en route and told to go home (probably more likely if using public transport, but not impossible in a private car as you arrive and park). The police have the power to do this in the Statutory Instrument, along with the imposing a fixed penalty, so for the sake of getting a letter produced stating why you're travelling - I'd say it's a very sensible insurance policy. The onus is on you to produce evidence your travel away from home was reasonable if asked.

Last week I returned from holiday. Had the police stopped me and asked I could have shown them my suitcase (and more fool them if they wanted to inspect my dirty clothing!), a hotel receipt from abroad showing I checked in before lockdown and out that morning, and a boarding pass for my flight that day. That's a pretty conclusive trail leading to the specific exemption that "P" is allowed to return home after a holiday.

The authorities probably aren't going to dig too deeply, but if you have absolutely nothing other than your suitcase then the risk of not being believed becomes much higher.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 12, 20 at 10:52 am
Old Nov 12, 20, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
if the purpose of you leaving home is to go on holiday (whether in England or abroad via an airport) then that is going to be an offence under the current regulations.

If you are asking of whether checks are being made at the airport regarding your purpose for leaving home, there are one or two threads on that already I think with reports.
Old Nov 12, 20, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Probably not if you can demonstrate that you are travelling for a permitted purpose.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Gold
No issues getting to the airport. I suppose I wasn't inconspicuous as I was in one of the few cars going from central London to LHR at 4am, and in an Uber no less.

The AF/KL queues were packed to the gills, as was my flight to CDG.

I honestly never felt like I was going anything wrong. Would've been shocked with the police stopping my car and asking for papers. There might be law, but this isn't a police state.
paulaf, Silver Fox and HGOLI like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
For my exercise today, as I had missed her, I rode my bicycle out to Heathrow, and at various points was riding alongside the A4 and the Great West Road. There is a lot of traffic on the roads, so much so it doesn't really seem to be unlike usual pre-lockdown traffic. Being stopped to check a reason for travel seems very unlikely. And as travelling for work purposes is allowed, you can legitimately say you are going to Heathrow to take a flight for business purposes.
paulaf and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels View Post
For my exercise today, as I had missed her, I rode my bicycle out to Heathrow, and at various points was riding alongside the A4 and the Great West Road. There is a lot of traffic on the roads, so much so it doesn't really seem to be unlike usual pre-lockdown traffic. Being stopped to check a reason for travel seems very unlikely. And as travelling for work purposes is allowed, you can legitimately say you are going to Heathrow to take a flight for business purposes.
Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 20, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone for the wise counsel. I will have documentation on me. Continue being safe all.
Old Nov 12, 20, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Probably not a bad idea. I assume you are familiar with the COVID test requirements for Dubai.
yes thanks a lot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: