FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   UK lockdown flying (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2028422-uk-lockdown-flying.html)

nadeem Nov 11, 2020 4:16 pm

UK lockdown flying

Due to depart LHR to DXB for important meetings - does anyone have any experience of flying from the Uk. Would I require employers letter of confirmation at all? If so, that’s not an issue. Thanks in advance.

m3red Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by nadeem (Post 32813471)
Due to depart LHR to DXB for important meetings - does anyone have any experience of flying from the Uk. Would I require employers letter of confirmation at all? If so, that’s not an issue. Thanks in advance.

apparently no questions asked...

LondonElite Nov 12, 2020 12:36 am

Probably not a bad idea. I assume you are familiar with the COVID test requirements for Dubai.

sophialite Nov 12, 2020 1:30 am

Wasn't asked for anything of the sort this morning.

u01sss3 Nov 12, 2020 2:25 am

I flew ex LHR on Friday and wasn't asked for anything.
No PLF checks on arrival either.

Saint4805 Nov 12, 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by nadeem (Post 32813471)

I highly doubt that would be necessary. Providing evidence isn't mentioned on gov.uk and airlines have certainly not been asked to request proof. A verbal confirmation that you are travelling for work purposes should suffice.

paulaf Nov 12, 2020 8:50 am

What about driving to the airport any issues? Thanks

NWIFlyer Nov 12, 2020 9:46 am

Originally Posted by paulaf (Post 32814912)

This is the crux of it - not so much once you get inside the terminal, but if you're stopped en route and told to go home (probably more likely if using public transport, but not impossible in a private car as you arrive and park). The police have the power to do this in the Statutory Instrument, along with the imposing a fixed penalty, so for the sake of getting a letter produced stating why you're travelling - I'd say it's a very sensible insurance policy. The onus is on you to produce evidence your travel away from home was reasonable if asked.

Last week I returned from holiday. Had the police stopped me and asked I could have shown them my suitcase (and more fool them if they wanted to inspect my dirty clothing!), a hotel receipt from abroad showing I checked in before lockdown and out that morning, and a boarding pass for my flight that day. That's a pretty conclusive trail leading to the specific exemption that "P" is allowed to return home after a holiday.

The authorities probably aren't going to dig too deeply, but if you have absolutely nothing other than your suitcase then the risk of not being believed becomes much higher.

KARFA Nov 12, 2020 11:50 am

if the purpose of you leaving home is to go on holiday (whether in England or abroad via an airport) then that is going to be an offence under the current regulations.

If you are asking of whether checks are being made at the airport regarding your purpose for leaving home, there are one or two threads on that already I think with reports.

LondonElite Nov 12, 2020 11:57 am

Probably not if you can demonstrate that you are travelling for a permitted purpose.

sophialite Nov 12, 2020 12:15 pm

No issues getting to the airport. I suppose I wasn't inconspicuous as I was in one of the few cars going from central London to LHR at 4am, and in an Uber no less.

The AF/KL queues were packed to the gills, as was my flight to CDG.

I honestly never felt like I was going anything wrong. Would've been shocked with the police stopping my car and asking for papers. There might be law, but this isn't a police state.

GregWTravels Nov 12, 2020 12:31 pm

For my exercise today, as I had missed her, I rode my bicycle out to Heathrow, and at various points was riding alongside the A4 and the Great West Road. There is a lot of traffic on the roads, so much so it doesn't really seem to be unlike usual pre-lockdown traffic. Being stopped to check a reason for travel seems very unlikely. And as travelling for work purposes is allowed, you can legitimately say you are going to Heathrow to take a flight for business purposes.

paulaf Nov 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels (Post 32815593)
For my exercise today, as I had missed her, I rode my bicycle out to Heathrow, and at various points was riding alongside the A4 and the Great West Road. There is a lot of traffic on the roads, so much so it doesn't really seem to be unlike usual pre-lockdown traffic. Being stopped to check a reason for travel seems very unlikely. And as travelling for work purposes is allowed, you can legitimately say you are going to Heathrow to take a flight for business purposes.

Thanks.

nadeem Nov 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Many thanks everyone for the wise counsel. I will have documentation on me. Continue being safe all.

nadeem Nov 12, 2020 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32814160)
Probably not a bad idea. I assume you are familiar with the COVID test requirements for Dubai.

yes thanks a lot.