Wiki Posts
Search

Wimbledon lesson

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Wimbledon lesson

I’m planning a trip w the mrs to London and Scotland for next summer when hopefully the ‘vid will have died down. She’s quite the tennis enthusiast. Is there any way to get a lesson at the AELTC? Obviously, we aren’t members.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I very much doubt it, but it might just be worth checking the AELTC website. It is a private club and one which guards its doors very carefully. Easiest of all would simply be to take a tour of the grounds which they do (or, at least, did) offer. Next easiest would be to pay up for tickets (either enter the ballot or buy from a debenture holder. Don't buy tickets from an unauthorised reseller as it's illegal and you are likely to be denied admission.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You could play at the AELTC community sports ground that is a few miles away from Centre Court:
https://communitytennis.aeltc.com/Membership/Join
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand that for a few weeks immediately after the completion of the Championships, members of the AELTC are allowed to play on at least some of the courts, including Centre Court. Maybe, but probably not, an AELTC member could guest someone but I've never seen any info about that. So if you really, really, really want to do this, you might try to find an existing member and ask them. i have no idea how to go about doing that either!

Note that it is insanely difficult to become a member and that is not a realistic option.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Note that it is insanely difficult to become a member and that is not a realistic option.
Not that difficult if you have won the Singles Championship
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Thanks much thus far.
Whats up with the Wimbledon Club right across the street from the AELTC? Is AELTC a more exclusive section of the Wimbledon club or something? Doesn't look like we can get into anything across the street anyway. May give the more distant courts a try, though I think the novelty would be a lesson as close as possible to the hallowed grounds.Failing that, will take some lessons and try to qualify as suggested by lhrsfo
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Thanks much thus far.
Whats up with the Wimbledon Club right across the street from the AELTC? Is AELTC a more exclusive section of the Wimbledon club or something? Doesn't look like we can get into anything across the street anyway. May give the more distant courts a try, though I think the novelty would be a lesson as close as possible to the hallowed grounds.Failing that, will take some lessons and try to qualify as suggested by lhrsfo
The Wimbledon Club is a sports club located in Wimbledon; it has no relationship to the AELTC. The AELTC community sports ground is owned by AELTC and offers lessons. Its courts are unavailable just before the tournament as they are used for practice for some of those playing the tournament.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Thanks much thus far.
No it not connected and I assume they would be aghast at such a thought!

The Wimbledon Club is older than the AELTCC having been founded in 1854 and the latter in 1868 as a croquet club with tennis being an interloper in 1875

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.