Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I don't see the purpose of any of it.
To be fair, I like to know the people I am rubbing shoulders with on the plane are not infected. But as I'm triple vaxxed, the risk of a problem for me, is trivial. I'd be ok with ditching it all.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
I would keep the pre-departure rapid test and dump the rest. But that would not would not suit Randox.

On the data, hopefully towards the end of the week we will know where we are. The signs in England at least are looking encouraging. In South Africa they reported 3,232 cases today which is down from a peak of 37,875 just 3 weeks ago. For them the rate of fall almost matches the rise. Their omicron started after mid November and if the fall carries on they could be out of it before the middle of the month.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 13901
The Standard was hinting at the opportunity of England dropping the need for pre-departure test (but maintaining the PCR on day 2...). We'll see.
I transited LHR twice in mid-late December, nobody asked me or wanted to see the pre-departure test anywhere and at either outstation, did not even look at Verifly, told me it was not necessary, lol...I do not know what this all means...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
I transited LHR twice in mid-late December, nobody asked me or wanted to see the pre-departure test anywhere and at either outstations, did not even look at Verifly, told me it was not necessary, lol...I do not know what this all means...
if you used verifly then that's where they were checked - they know you have used it. had you not used verifly you would have had documents checked at check in.
DaveS, nk15, rockflyertalk and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
if you used verifly then that's where they were checked - they know you have used it. had you not used verifly you would have had documents checked at check in.
That's the only explanation, it was cleared internally and it was visible to the GA.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's still a bit of money to be done, and pockets to be lined.
Probably staggering profits...I have a pharmacist friend in Greece and she says that on a busy day she makes several thousands of euros just from doing cheap rapid tests alone. It is a goldmine.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The value of pre-flight antigen tests, where self testing is allowed is really a waste of time. You may as well just ask people not to fly if they have covid.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
The value of pre-flight antigen tests, where self testing is allowed is really a waste of time. You may as well just ask people not to fly if they have covid.
As an example, a typical French person flying to UK, would go to a pharmacy and get the pharmacist to carry out the test for free. If it was positive, they wouldn't fly at least 10 days, and the test result would be recorded centrally.

It's only well-informed people like Flyertalkers who would know that they could buy a self-test and get a UK company to issue a certificate remotely.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:12 pm

Anyone know how many positive cases were detected daily based on the day 2 tests?

just for info, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong all reported increases number of positive cases based on arrival tests.

singapore were reporting around 10-20 imported cases daily before omicron. But this have increase to 30-40 in early dec. and now it is 200-300 daily by end dec/early Jan.

same go for Malaysia who have been reporting 200-350 imported cases daily compare to 30-50 daily.

even Hong Kong with strict entry requirements are reporting increase with imported cases detected upon arrival even with many flights banned.
on one of the flight PR 300 from Manila to HKG, 7 were detected upon arrival and another 13 days were detected on day 3 tests. 11 cases were detected on 5J272 from Manila and 6 detected upon arrival on CX906 from. Manila as well.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:03 am
Original Poster

So my grand travels to multiple countries over the holidays went well. Four countries went down to 3, but that was even before it started since Germany banned entry. Two PCRs during the travels to enter the new countries went fine - PCR in Hungary for Dubai, and in Dubai for Romania. Total tests is four, since you add in the predep for the UK and the day 2 too.

We were super careful the whole time, however, Dubai was hard. The metro was jam packed, and the worst was our PCR. To get a PCR there we had to go to a hospital clinic, and I didn't expect the clinic to be utter chaos. Tests for travel were in the same place as people who were sick we're getting tests, and the tiny room had dozens of people in it. We managed to find a room nearby that was empty (for radiology...) and waited there but I still had to keep going back to try to figure out what was happening and when it was our turn. Utter chaos and it had all of us completely freaked out. All in all it took 2hrs there, and may I never have to be in such a situation again.

Thankful we are all triple dosed. We took lots of LFDs with us and we stayed negative.
Internaut, DaveS, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SherlockMiles
As an example, a typical French person flying to UK, would go to a pharmacy and get the pharmacist to carry out the test for free. If it was positive, they wouldn't fly at least 10 days, and the test result would be recorded centrally.

It's only well-informed people like Flyertalkers who would know that they could buy a self-test and get a UK company to issue a certificate remotely.
Fair enough. I was thinking of people not doing the test very well, either deliberately or subconsciously not probing too deep for fear of a positive result.
SherlockMiles likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:19 am

Fair enough. I was thinking of people not doing the test very well, either deliberately or subconsciously not probing too deep for fear of a positive result.
When I was positive over Xmas I run a brief experiment. I tested every day or so with LFTs I took from the UK and purchased locally, but on one occasion I decided to do another test to see how well the LFT performed if I didn't do a proper job. I basically just touched one nostril, about half a centimetre up the nose. No double nostril work, no five turns of the swab, just one brief touch. It still tested positive.

A friend who has a 2 year old kid, who also tested positive, told me that they had to do the same thing with their little one as it was the only way to test him (don't know why such a young lad needs to be tested...) and his swabs "worked" too.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When I was positive over Xmas I run a brief experiment. I tested every day or so with LFTs I took from the UK and purchased locally, but on one occasion I decided to do another test to see how well the LFT performed if I didn't do a proper job. I basically just touched one nostril, about half a centimetre up the nose. No double nostril work, no five turns of the swab, just one brief touch. It still tested positive.
I had a swab taken by another healthcare professional for one of my travel escapades and he dipped it in almost more quickly that I give a vaccine, compared to the deep digging that I would do to my own tests. But the advice is a good swirl around the tonsil area about 2 - 3 cm up a nostril. It's better to do it slowly, to minimise reflex gagging, than quickly to try and beat the gagging. Some people don't seem to get a positive Lateral no matter how hard they try, even when clearly symptomatic.

But generally I don't know where we would be without Lateral Flow Devices, they have really helped keep a lot of COVID people out of circulation all over Europe and a few other places. In the longer term it may be useful to offer them in chemists for flu epidemics. We now suspect that Omicron is more upper respiratory based, rather than infecting the lower respiratory passages down to the lungs, which also helps explains why it is about 3 times more infectious than Delta, the virus has halved its journey distance. This probably helps LFDs to get a good result with Omicron, but in the early days it will be more the throat affected, spreading up the nasal passages a bit later. So the throat test is probably more useful for Omicron than Delta, in the early part of the infection process.
squawk and 13901 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had a swab taken by another healthcare professional for one of my travel escapades and he dipped it in almost more quickly that I give a vaccine, compared to the deep digging that I would do to my own tests. But the advice is a good swirl around the tonsil area about 2 - 3 cm up a nostril. It's better to do it slowly, to minimise reflex gagging, than quickly to try and beat the gagging. Some people don't seem to get a positive Lateral no matter how hard they try, even when clearly symptomatic.

But generally I don't know where we would be without Lateral Flow Devices, they have really helped keep a lot of COVID people out of circulation all over Europe and a few other places. In the longer term it may be useful to offer them in chemists for flu epidemics. We now suspect that Omicron is more upper respiratory based, rather than infecting the lower respiratory passages down to the lungs, which also helps explains why it is about 3 times more infectious than Delta, the virus has halved its journey distance. This probably helps LFDs to get a good result with Omicron, but in the early days it will be more the throat affected, spreading up the nasal passages a bit later. So the throat test is probably more useful for Omicron than Delta, in the early part of the infection process.
Side question. I was bingeing on a podcast about Theranos in the last few days and that got me thinking... Could we ever get to the point where an LFD-like concoction can be built to be reusable and, perhaps, app-based? The LFDs have an enormous amount of wastage inbuilt with all the contaminated plastic that cannot be recycled....
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Side question. I was bingeing on a podcast about Theranos in the last few days and that got me thinking... Could we ever get to the point where an LFD-like concoction can be built to be reusable and, perhaps, app-based? The LFDs have an enormous amount of wastage inbuilt with all the contaminated plastic that cannot be recycled....
Have you got to the end of your podcast yet? When you do you will get your answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.