Local lockdowns in the UK

Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Goes to show you the differences between areas, I just checked my area and the figures are higher than I was expecting!
  • 82.7%
    First dose
  • 76.5%
    Second dose
  • 51.1%
    Booster or third dose
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder if the mods have considered re-naming this very useful thread- “UKCovid statistics” or similar? Unfortunately the title no longer reflects the content as there are no local lockdowns. Just a thought.
LETTERBOY, Schwann and :D! like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HB7
It seems that the major issue we are having in the UK is higher hospitalisations in London primarily, which has fairly low vaccination levels. I don't know what the solution is, because COVID-passports don't seem to work if you look at Germany and or France, but the unvaxxed are causing this clearly.

I think it is a conversation this nation needs to have. It's becoming increasingly frustrating and annoying, because our freedoms and the health/economic wellbeing of the nation is being harmed significantly thanks to the thousands who refuse to get jabbed.
It is a conversation we need to have, but it's quite nuanced and that never works well in public conversations. The problem really is that the vaccinations work fantastically at preventing serious illness, they don't seem particularly effective at preventing you getting the disease. Anecdotally, I know around 20 people who currently have, or recently have had, COVID and all were triple jabbed. Fortunately none felt particularly ill, even the 60+s amongst them. So the real conversation isn't about vaccine passports which won't do much good at preventing people getting Covid, but about stopping worrying about the disease at all. Under such a scenario, those of us who are prepared to get vaccinated will have the odd rough day, and we would stop worrying about those who haven't been vaccinated. Indeed, much like other respiratory diseases, where the elderly and the unfit are seriously at risk but most are not. The only real difference being that a) Covid is new and therefore perhaps more frightening and b) you have a choice as to vaccination. Then natural selection will simply remove some of the idiots.
JNelson113, Kgmm77, HB7 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I wonder if the mods have considered re-naming this very useful thread- “UKCovid statistics” or similar? Unfortunately the title no longer reflects the content as there are no local lockdowns. Just a thought.
True. Except perhaps in Wales where you are prevented from going to work, except in a pub.
Internaut and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Misco60
106,000 cases reported today... I'm sure the Telegraph will give the same prominence to the 16,000 increase as it did the previous day's fall of 1,115.
Current Telegraph headline:

CORONAVIRUS

Covid latest news: UK reports over 100,000 daily cases for first time

I don't recall the small drop yesterday being the headline.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HB7

I think it is a conversation this nation needs to have. It's becoming increasingly frustrating and annoying, because our freedoms and the health/economic wellbeing of the nation is being harmed significantly thanks to the thousands who refuse to get jabbed.
Ironically this is precisely one reason why the un-jabbed won’t get jabbed. Pot kettle…
VSLover and Scots_Al like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Lockdown is an undefined term, but I'm asked not to go out unnecessarily. I'm asked not to mix with more than two other households. I have to work from home and I can't go to my rugby team's next 2 games because fans are not allowed.

Granted, businesses haven't been told to close their doors, and there is no legal impediment to my going out, but it's not as if there are no restrictions on daily life as we once knew it.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Thanks to you all for a sensible covid thread, I find I drift here at least twice a day to see what's what.

I also agree we need to have a conversation with the vaccine holdouts. Quite what that is, needs to be determined but we can't keep coddling them.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Thanks to you all for a sensible covid thread, I find I drift here at least twice a day to see what's what.

I also agree we need to have a conversation with the vaccine holdouts. Quite what that is, needs to be determined but we can't keep coddling them.
As long as we do keep indulging them, I don’t think it unreasonable to assert that their liberty, implicitly, matters more than ours.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No need for new Covid restrictions as omicron hospital risk two thirds lower, No 10 told Ministers and MPs tell Boris Johnson tougher measures cannot be justified as studies suggest variant is less severe than delta

Britain should not be subjected to further Covid restrictions, senior Government sources said on Wednesday night after the first UK real-world data revealed that people infected with omicron are up to two thirds less likely to end up in hospital.

The research, by Edinburgh University – submitted to government scientific advisers – suggests that the variant causes far milder illness than delta and that booster vaccines provide "substantial" extra protection against symptoms.

The findings are expected to be confirmed on Thursday by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), which found that Britons who fell ill with omicron were less likely to become severely sick, with more suffering a mild illness.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it irritating that when South African Drs say Omicron is less dangerous, its ignored and we can only rely on the data from our own health bodies.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I find it irritating that when South African Drs say Omicron is less dangerous, its ignored and we can only rely on the data from our own health bodies.
To give a few reasons for this (and there are many more)
- The median South African is 27 years old, the median Brit is 40 years old, and in COVID terms that's a massive difference
- SA had a very different set of timing of pandemic surges
- UK had a very different exposure to Alpha and Delta compared to SA
- SA has much lower levels of vaccination and testing
- SA has very different demographic differences to the UK in terms of average income, education, employment - all key predictors of COVID and its impacts.
Just putting those factors alone together means that the immunity profile of the two countries is radically different. However medical evidence from South Africa most certainly has not been ignored, about a third of my current R&D inbox has South African content. SA is an amazing beacon of healthcare and public health research and the world is very lucky to have access to that.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- The median South African is 27 years old, the median Brit is 40 years old, and in COVID terms that's a massive difference
- SA has very different demographic differences to the UK in terms of average income, education, employment - all key predictors of COVID and its impacts.
Just putting those factors alone together means that the immunity profile of the two countries is radically different. However medical evidence from South Africa most certainly has not been ignored, about a third of my current R&D inbox has South African content. SA is an amazing beacon of healthcare and public health research and the world is very lucky to have access to that.
I don't doubt what you're saying however, did we really need red lists, quarantine hotels and expensive new travel testing regimes? S.A. data indicated very early that Omicron was very very transmissible but also milder the delta. I'm usually a cautious person but, the red lists and hotels have already been disbanded, we're they ever really needed?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:27 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

This, which is exactly what I wrote a few pages back.

Last edited by fransknorge; Dec 23, 2021 at 12:34 am
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by HB7
It seems that the major issue we are having in the UK is higher hospitalisations in London primarily, which has fairly low vaccination levels. I don't know what the solution is, because COVID-passports don't seem to work if you look at Germany and or France, but the unvaxxed are causing this clearly.
I have no explanation for the explosion of cases in Germany, but I think there is evidence to say that the Green Pass is helping in vaccinating Italian doubters. The country is, or should be, at around 85% of the above-15 fully vaccinated and this is quite a thing for a nation where people can’t agree on basic things and who voted for a party like M5S just 3 years ago. Having the big stick of the green pass (and its new evolution) is quite a motivation: if you’re not vaccinated you can’t travel, enter a restaurant, work in healthcare… and if you’re not tested every 2 days you can’t work.

I know, or heard of, many people who get their news from that backed-up cesspit that is Facebook who, when faced with the sack or social pariah status, gave up and got their jabs. The time for common sense is over IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.