Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
with or without cheese.
It's "hands, face, party at my place", as the kids say....
Internaut and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by plunet

For healthcare staff, they are still likely to be subject to requiring a PCR before returning to work as the NHS have to ensure that staff are not infecting patients as much as possible, and mirrors existing practice.
Just an FYI on that point. I understand PCR is not necessarily a good tool to assess safety to return to work since you can remain PCR positive for some (possibly considerable) time after recovery from infection.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Internaut
Just an FYI on that point. I understand PCR is not necessarily a good tool to assess safety to return to work since you can remain PCR positive for some (possibly considerable) time after recovery from infection.
It's rare. Most people (90% or so) will show negative a week after a postive, and it's something like 97% at 10 days. But the minor detail of vaccines that often gets unreported is that those vaccinated who do get infected tend to be back on their feet within a few days and while they could still infect someone, the risk is much reduced with each passing day.
Internaut, DaveS, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The UKHSA report will be online here in a few hours, I'm still embargoed until then. The summary you provided isn't way off beam, this was circulated to ministers late yesterday evening (also on embargoed status.....) except that London is still seeing big rises and the NHS in London has a lot of people self isolating. Some Pfizer and Moderna deliveries in London can't be made today because we are short of drivers, we have a backlog in blood analysis and 200 similar minor things which are all adding up. So it does fulfill the requirement of a Major Incident with Gold oversight. So lots of infections, not serious, death rate shouldn't rise, but the NHS is on a knife edge in certain spots - but to be fair, not nationally at this point.

The report hugely reiterates the importance of Boosters, by the time you work through the risks and benefits of the various competing factors.

https://www.gov.uk/search/all?organi...ecurity-agency

(I think it's a 12 o clock release, not totally certain).
Thanks. Yes so in terms of London health care I was looking at that earlier too.

Daily hospitalisations are up from around 100 per day to around 230-240 per day, so an increase but fairly steady over the last 2/3 weeks.

Total patients in hospital up from around 1000-1100 to about 1900 over the same timespan, again a steady increase over the period.

Patients in ICU more or less flat and hovering around the 180-210 range for a few months now.
Internaut and Loungeabout like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
A friend who is classed as vulnerable, due to the immune suppressant drugs he takes, has received a notification from the NHS that he is pre approved for one of the bleeding edge anti virals. He’s not sure which one (that’s a detail - he doesn’t do those) but says that in the event of a positive diagnosis he may be invited to hospital and put on “one of those drip things”.

If they can target those most likely to fall seriously ill and provide effective treatment then I think we might be staring at the end game of this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:52 am

Smile

Originally Posted by 13901
And it's my turn! I've just had the two C-T lines on a LFT (done twice just to be sure). I was at the in-laws for Xmas and this might be the last one for a while given what happened next. I apologised for having endangered them, did my bags, my wife tested negative, and I booked an AirBnb nearby until the 26th just to be on the safe side. My father-in-law, who is an anti-vaxxer, went mental. He was adamant I should stay in, have a Christmas meal tomorrow with the entire extended family (one son with a liver condition, him who's 60+ and overweight, the mother-in-law, my wife, her sister, husband and 3 kids).

I'm now obviously self isolating in the AirBnB, with very little symptoms and, frankly, mildly relieved not to be there. How moronic can people be?
It all sounds a bit too convenient - visiting the in-laws, testing positive and now relaxing in an AirBnB. One of these your pocket?

(just joking - hope it's mild and you get better soon.)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
And it's my turn! I've just had the two C-T lines on a LFT (done twice just to be sure). I was at the in-laws for Xmas and this might be the last one for a while given what happened next. I apologised for having endangered them, did my bags, my wife tested negative, and I booked an AirBnb nearby until the 26th just to be on the safe side. My father-in-law, who is an anti-vaxxer, went mental. He was adamant I should stay in, have a Christmas meal tomorrow with the entire extended family (one son with a liver condition, him who's 60+ and overweight, the mother-in-law, my wife, her sister, husband and 3 kids).

I'm now obviously self isolating in the AirBnB, with very little symptoms and, frankly, mildly relieved not to be there. How moronic can people be?
Hope you recover soon and don't feel the hardship of missing out on his company too much.

What a total plonker though. There's also the possibility that he now has it and may pass it on himself - you should maybe find a way of making it known to at least the vulnerables that you were with him when testing positive, so that they can make an informed decision.
Internaut likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
apologies for not posting for a few days, table up to yesterdays figures

Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Poor you. If you are under 50 and in any way vulnerable (e.g. have a stupid relative), see my earlier post about how to get some anti viral happy pills. You probably won't miss your FiL in all of this.
Internaut, squawk and 13901 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
It all sounds a bit too convenient - visiting the in-laws, testing positive and now relaxing in an AirBnB. One of these your pocket?

(just joking - hope it's mild and you get better soon.)
Well, there is the upside of having my own company, Netflix and skipping the family luncheon tomorrow... but I could've done without the hassle of having to tell half the world to test, and the extra $$$.

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Hope you recover soon and don't feel the hardship of missing out on his company too much.

What a total plonker though. There's also the possibility that he now has it and may pass it on himself - you should maybe find a way of making it known to at least the vulnerables that you were with him when testing positive, so that they can make an informed decision.
Indeed. The good news is that so far nobody else is testing positive yet, hope it keeps on being that way.

Poor you. If you are under 50 and in any way vulnerable (e.g. have a stupid relative), see my earlier post about how to get some anti viral happy pills. You probably won't miss your FiL in all of this.
Thanks! However I wouldn't know how to say "anti-viral pills" in Hungarian to save my bacon. I've always known this country is Europe's Lipscomb County, TX, but I'm also finding out that it's next to impossible to find some tests. I travelled with some I brought from the UK, plus I grabbed one for 5 euros at a supermarket in Italy, but that's it.

Last edited by 13901; Dec 22, 2021 at 7:10 am
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Darkest days could be behind us as data hint that omicron cases may have peaked

Tuesday was the Winter Solstice, our darkest day and longest night before the sun begins its slow ascent higher into the sky again.

So it seems fitting that the latest coronavirus data is also starting to show a glimmer of light.

After weeks of relentless growth, the first signs of a slowdown have begun, with some experts speculating that England may even have peaked.

Although admissions are still rising, cases in Britain have been largely unchanged for about six days, with 90,629 reported on Tuesday, a fall of 1,115 from the previous day.

Case rates are also reassuringly low in areas with high vaccination, suggesting that vaccines and boosters are holding up well against omicron. It is still too early to be sure, but here is what the latest data is telling us.

Hospital-case ratio

The number of people ending up in hospital after testing positive for Covid has fallen to one of the lowest points in the entire pandemic, with just 1.95 per cent being admitted.

As before, it's not a paywall, just disable javascript for the telegraph.co.uk domain.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Although admissions are still rising, cases in Britain have been largely unchanged for about six days, with 90,629 reported on Tuesday, a fall of 1,115 from the previous day.
106,000 cases reported today... I'm sure the Telegraph will give the same prominence to the 16,000 increase as it did the previous day's fall of 1,115.

The 7-day case rate is up by almost 60% on a week ago.
Internaut likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 106,122 (78,610 last Wednesday)
Deaths 140 (165)
Patients admitted 813 (778 on the 11th)
Patients in hospital 8,008 (7,693 on the 14th)
Patients in ventilation beds 849 (896 on the 14th)
People vaccinated up to and including 21 December 2021:
First dose: 51,577,782
Second dose: 47,156,899
Booster: 30,844,888

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 58.9% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 2.7%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 111.9 today. After some delay the number of cases has pushed through the 100k mark. It was a good day for boosters yesterday, though at 968,665 we have still not quite made the million. The last time we had fewer patients in ventilation beds was on the 18th October.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:36 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
It seems that the major issue we are having in the UK is higher hospitalisations in London primarily, which has fairly low vaccination levels. I don't know what the solution is, because COVID-passports don't seem to work if you look at Germany and or France, but the unvaxxed are causing this clearly.

I think it is a conversation this nation needs to have. It's becoming increasingly frustrating and annoying, because our freedoms and the health/economic wellbeing of the nation is being harmed significantly thanks to the thousands who refuse to get jabbed.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I mean - this is just pathetic for where I live......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.