Search
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyslow
Wait.. You're not supposed to eat before the jab??? Serious question
Kindly have a full English fry up on vaccine day. It's for the best, trust me, I'm a vaccinator.

At the moment I am buying jelly babies and wine gums to keep the kids fuelled up. But I suspect those who gobble the sweets aren't the ones fainting.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Kindly have a full English fry up on vaccine day. It's for the best, trust me, I'm a vaccinator.

At the moment I am buying jelly babies and wine gums to keep the kids fuelled up. But I suspect those who gobble the sweets aren't the ones fainting.
I feel a bit left out that I didn't get anything other than my jab and a sticker at the vaccination centre .
Being just after lunch I didn't have a fry up either (MyFitnessPal informs me I had an egg mayo sandwich and some fruit).
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:47 pm

Not the biggest fan of full English, but for the greater good...
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
It's ridiculous - vaccines have been billed as our passport to freedom and, as that narrative erodes, so too are the main incentives for those at limited risk from COVID to actually get them
This. I honestly can't believe vaccinations haven't come to a standstill in England. It's obvious that getting vaccinated means absolutely bollocks and is completely meaningless. Your government unfortunately has really pulled a fast one on your population. Too bad.
LETTERBOY and HGOLI like this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:09 pm

On paper it is only groups 1 to 9 (over 50s etc) who are eligible for 8 weeks but if you check again around week 7 I bet you will be offered an early date. Not least because we have got to do secondary school children in August, almost certainly.
Thank you! I'm booked via the National Booking website - has anyone managed to get the 119 call centre to tell them about appointment availability? Ideally, I wouldn't want to lose my existing booking and end up with nothing.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy
Thank you! I'm booked via the National Booking website - has anyone managed to get the 119 call centre to tell them about appointment availability? Ideally, I wouldn't want to lose my existing booking and end up with nothing.
It's OK to cancel and rebook, it's unlikely you will lose out that way, and yes 119 can perhaps find other options. Many GPs are now on the National Booking website (we are as of a few weeks ago) but they only get vaccine supplies confirmed a week or two beforehand. Hence I would leave it as it is until week 7 or so and then cancel/rebook. I can't see how you would be worse off than 11 weeks. The other thing that will happen is that once the low hanging fruit of first dose 18 to 29 years olds are done, I bet the walk-in centres such as Twickenham will also allow 2nd doses. It should be getting easier all round once we get out of this (increasingly silly) age lowering game.
cauchy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by enviroian
This. I honestly can't believe vaccinations haven't come to a standstill in England. It's obvious that getting vaccinated means absolutely bollocks and is completely meaningless. Your government unfortunately has really pulled a fast one on your population. Too bad.
I would like to think that the logic behind not treating the vaccinated differently is the well used phrase 'we are all in this together'. The young, particularly those under 30 have paid a very high price during the pandemic with lost income, jobs and education as well as their freedom. All that when the risk to them is very low. It is also this same group that have not been offered the vaccine yet. It would hardly be fair to reward what they have suffered by saying sorry you can't be free because you are not vaccinated through no fault of your own.

Now this argument should fall in the next month or so as access to the vaccine opens up to all. Once that has happened I think there will be a very strong case for treating the vaccinated differently.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I honestly can't believe vaccinations haven't come to a standstill in England. It's obvious that getting vaccinated means absolutely bollocks and is completely meaningless. Your government unfortunately has really pulled a fast one on your population.
We in the United Kingdom (not just England) understand the benefits of the vaccine programme and that the lifting of lockdown restrictions is a process. We are not, for the most part, getting vaccinated for selfish reasons and do not expect to be able to go directly from vaccination centre to airport.

The vaccination programme is responsible for the number of daily deaths falling from 4 figures to single figures. That is neither "absolutely bollocks" nor meaningless.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:37 pm

According to the New York Times' vaccination tracker, the UK quietly passed a significant milestone at the weekend, having delivered 100 doses of vaccine per 100 people. We're halfway there.

60% of the population has now been vaccinated, with 40% fully vaccinated.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:31 am

From my personal POV getting vaccinated is first a way to avoiding dying an avoidable death. Yeah I know I'm fit, yeah I know I'm young, but I've also heard of plenty of young and fit people dying of never-diagnosed-before conditions... And I'd rather not chance it, given my luck I'll find out of having a weird and undiagnosed lung condition on the day I get Covid.

Then, on the topic of travel... well, eventually even this government of crooks and buffoons will join the club and recognise the trend. It'll take a while, it'll be after all their friends have gobbled enough public contracts to satisfy themselves for a while and after Dido Harding manages to fail upwards a bit more... but it'll happen and, rest assured, it'll be world beating!
adrianlondon, squawk and JEM_NYC like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold

We’ve had similar fainting problems amongst the youngsters. Someone has kindly donated thousands of chuba lollies that we are giving to patients as they arrive - it seems to be working.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vaccine means I can eat out, have a coffee out, allows my partner to see her family, me to catch up with friends, work in the office AND means I’m highly unlikely to catch Covid again which - after nearly being admitted to hospital and a near 6 month recovery period so far - is something I am keen to avoid. Add on the social benefits of protecting the community around me and it’s hardly surprising that so many people still want it. I’m frustrated not to be able to travel...but so be it for now.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Misco60
According to the New York Times' vaccination tracker, the UK quietly passed a significant milestone at the weekend, having delivered 100 doses of vaccine per 100 people. We're halfway there.

60% of the population has now been vaccinated, with 40% fully vaccinated.
It is significantly more than half when you take out 10+ million young children who are not expected to receive the vaccine and the small number that cannot receive it. The 100/100 should have been passed yesterday.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:36 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Misco60
We in the United Kingdom (not just England) understand the benefits of the vaccine programme and that the lifting of lockdown restrictions is a process. We are not, for the most part, getting vaccinated for selfish reasons and do not expect to be able to go directly from vaccination centre to airport.

The vaccination programme is responsible for the number of daily deaths falling from 4 figures to single figures. That is neither "absolutely bollocks" nor meaningless.
This continued attack from you on people wanting more restrictions for being jabbed is kind of childish and ridiculous, and maybe you need to get off your high horse. And stop acting like the "process" started 2 days ago. Here in the UK, we started the vaccination process in December last year, 7 months ago, before any other western country. Yet, 7 months later, most EU countries and the US have vaccinated overall less than us and are giving many more freedoms to people fully vaccinated - and this is justified by the fact that the vaccine works. We in the UK have also had one of the longest and harshest lockdowns in the world, effectively starting from Christmas last year. People have waited long enough, and people fully vaccinated have

To add insult to injury, right now, based on a daily case rate, Italy, the US, Germany and Portugal are all doing much better than the UK. Since the start of the pandemic, all of those countries with the exception of Italy have had less deaths when you compare it on a per capita basis to the UK.

The fact that we are more advanced in vaccinations than those countries, but have many more restrictions and being fully jabbed up means nothing makes me people angry and rightly so.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
It is significantly more than half when you take out 10+ million young children who are not expected to receive the vaccine and the small number that cannot receive it.
Yes, I understand that the "milestone" is merely symbolic. There are also uncertainties over the actual population of the UK, some who have received the vaccine might not normally be resident in the UK and many of the people who have received a vaccination will now have passed away from various causes. Gibraltar has now administered 231 doses per 100 people. Nevertheless, I think it's a pleasingly round milestone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.