Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2020, 6:45 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
you can leave tier 4 to join your support bubble
And, yet again, you introduce something else new that doesn’t apply to anything you’ve said before. It is abundantly clear, frankly, to many people here that you’ve been trying to push a certain agenda for many months, one which - at best - pushes the limits of the legislation. I am skeptical about the merit of some of the government’s restrictions, I’ve used minor loopholes to travel as well at times, but when I’ve done so it’s with the full knowledge that what I’m doing is well within the law, plus I’ve taken sensible precautions to protect both myself and others I come into contact with.

Whether you intend it or not, your motivation comes across somewhat differently - to me at least.

Your advice is, imho and in general, extremely misleading for 95%+ of circumstances for the large swathe of the population under Tier 4, and I would not want anyone reading this to rely on it - hence why there are many people who feel the need to counter what you write, so people are not led astray by something worse than a liberal reading of the law.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
And, yet again, you introduce something else new that doesn’t apply to anything you’ve said before. It is abundantly clear, frankly, to many people here that you’ve been trying to push a certain agenda for many months, one which - at best - pushes the limits of the legislation. I am skeptical about the merit of some of the government’s restrictions, I’ve used minor loopholes to travel as well at times, but when I’ve done so it’s with the full knowledge that what I’m doing is well within the law, plus I’ve taken sensible precautions to protect both myself and others I come into contact with.

Whether you intend it or not, your motivation comes across somewhat differently - to me at least.

Your advice is, imho and in general, extremely misleading for 95%+ of circumstances for the large swathe of the population under Tier 4, and I would not want anyone reading this to rely on it - hence why there are many people who feel the need to counter what you write, so people are not led astray by something worse than a liberal reading of the law.
there are no loopholes; you are either following the law or not. Just because you don’t agree with a philosophy doesn’t make it illegal

What I want to stress is that lockdown guidance and legislation are two completely separate things and just because you don’t follow someone’s agenda doesn’t necessarily make you a rule beaker. Recommendations are up to the individual to decide on the best course of action regarding lockdown legislation.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 25, 2020 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To clarify, for a linked household you need to be in a lone adult household and you can only have one which you can’t keep changing to suit your travel needs. Something to bear in mind.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 25, 2020 at 8:15 am Reason: added the word adult to clarify
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
To clarify, for a linked household you need to be in a lone household and you can only have one which you can’t keep changing to suit your travel needs. Something to bear in mind.
By the way what happens if you are travelling abroad with your bubble from tier 4?

e.g. your bubble lives in tier 2 and goes abroad and you join them.

or if your bubble is abroad (e.g. your family is living outside of the country) can’t find anything in the rules that deals with this
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:34 am

By the way what happens if you are travelling abroad with your bubble from tier 4?

e.g. your bubble lives in tier 2 and goes abroad and you join them.

or if your bubble is abroad (e.g. your family is living outside of the country) can’t find anything in the rules that deals with this
where is you linked household exactly? i must admit i am losing track based on your posts over the last few months.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:51 am

where is you linked household exactly? i must admit i am losing track based on your posts over the last few months.
you are allowed to change your household bubble after December 2 so you can change as long as you only have one at any given time

Anyway this is largely theory as I think leaving the UK isn’t the main issue here; it’s getting other countries to accept you from the UK!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 25, 2020 at 9:00 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:00 am

Indeed. But it wasn’t really an answer to my question.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:01 am

Indeed. But it wasn’t really an answer to my question.
well I live alone so I from
my understanding I could choose from one of a household bubble locally or internationally depending on things, the issue right now for me is internationally the UK being a pariah!

if I have a bubble in Switzerland I am banned from entering, if I have a bubble in Turkey I am banned as well, if I have a bubble in Greece I have to stay home for 10 days. If I have a bubble in Brighton it’s going tier 4 tomorrow, what a mess.

it’s getting really hard to keep up with the legislation, I went in the space of about a week from tier 2, to tier 3, to tier 4 and pretty much banned locally and internationally all with the same virus!
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and paulaf like this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 25, 2020 at 9:46 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
well I live alone so I from
my understanding I could choose from one of a household bubble locally or internationally depending on things, the issue right now for me is internationally the UK being a pariah!

if I have a bubble in Switzerland I am banned from entering, if I have a bubble in Turkey I am banned as well, if I have a bubble in Greece I have to stay home for 10 days. If I have a bubble in Brighton it’s going tier 4 tomorrow, what a mess.

it’s getting really hard to keep up with the legislation, I went in the space of about a week from tier 2, to tier 3, to tier 4 and pretty much banned locally and internationally all with the same virus!
You can only have a bubble with a household abroad if the country concerned has also signed up to the idea of bubbles. Even with a support bubble, you have to comply with the law in both areas. The rules on tiers also require you to take your tier rules with you when you travel.

if you have a bubble with a household in Brighton then when in Brighton you are obliged to follow the rules of the highest tier, either the tier that Brighton is in or the tier you have come from, It wouldn’t be “a mess” if you were using the bubble concept as intended - to provide support to the household, rather than an excuse to travel as you please.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
You can only have a bubble with a household abroad if the country concerned has also signed up to the idea of bubbles. Even with a support bubble, you have to comply with the law in both areas. The rules on tiers also require you to take your tier rules with you when you travel.

if you have a bubble with a household in Brighton then when in Brighton you are obliged to follow the rules of the highest tier, either the tier that Brighton is in or the tier you have come from, It wouldn’t be “a mess” if you were using the bubble concept as intended - to provide support to the household, rather than an excuse to travel as you please.
and where in the legislation does it say all this? That’s my point. Legislation not recommendation.

regarding being abroad; so long as you have left the country legally, when in another country you are responsible for the laws of that country not the UK. (E.g. you are caught speeding in Spain you are in trouble there not the UK, you cannot get points on a UK licence in the UK from a Spanish speeding offense)

Also regarding different tiers, e.g. you visit another household that is your bubble, so as far as the law is concerned when visiting that household you are a part of that household and follow the relevant legislation in that area?

I’m not trying to be funny here, I just find the legislation unclear in these situations
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and paulaf like this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 25, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
To clarify, for a linked household you need to be in a lone adult household and you can only have one which you can’t keep changing to suit your travel needs. Something to bear in mind.
Linked household is something I have not seen defined. Is that something exists in UK law? Gen question.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Linked household is something I have not seen defined. Is that something exists in UK law? Gen question.
yes, it has been defined in the various laws we have had over the last few months. in the the current law which covers all tiers in england it can be found here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...4/regulation/3
Silver Fox and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:15 am

yes, it has been defined in the various laws we have had over the last few months. in the the current law which covers all tiers in england it can be found here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...4/regulation/3
thanks for the link KARFA that clarifies things better and confirms what I was thinking
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Good grief! Linked households everywhere sarn't major!

Ta.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
It seems the UK has become the pariah of the world, pretty much all of Europe is allowed to ski in Switzerland but us Brits are not, at least not with a direct flight!
And here we are thinking Southern California has become the pariah of the world. Well, as long as two pariahs are allowed to coexist in any way, I'll be able to hold onto an essential trip to the UK for a couple of weeks on January 28. I must say I'm a bit nervous as tings will only get worse in the weeks ahead after the the CCC (Christmas Covid Count) kicks in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.