Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
there is quite a good percentage of people wearing masks in situations where they don't need to do so, i.e. walking around outside, on bikes even.
If they are walking or cycling between places where masks are required, for example taking public transport and then walking to a shop, it may be preferable to keep the mask on to avoid touching it unnecessarily.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wear a mask when walking down the main streets of Brighton. Once I'm off those I take it off. Looks like a lot of other people are doing that as well.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 1:21 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by :D!
If they are walking or cycling between places where masks are required, for example taking public transport and then walking to a shop, it may be preferable to keep the mask on to avoid touching it unnecessarily.
Not to mention the cold weather! If I'm walking between shops and it's blowing a hoolie, I'll probably just keep it on. I've got pretty used to it, now.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
These last few posts have given me an idea. I think I'll try the mask for my morning constitutional.

Last edited by tjcxx; Dec 11, 2020 at 3:40 pm
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tjcxx
These last few posts have given me an idea. I think I'll try the mask for my morning constitutionial.
They don't flush very well, so take care.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 2:48 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by tjcxx
These last few posts have given me an idea. I think I'll try the mask for my morning constitutionial.
Just make sure it's one of the more breathable ones. I had my heavy cloth one on today, and ended up carrying a tired toddler up several flights of stairs in a multi above a shopping centre, and I really wish I'd worn a different one!

Can't see myself cycling with one on, though. Mind you, the couriers have been managing it for years.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Distress is a valid reason to not wear a mask. I find them distressing so do not wear them as is my right.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Distress is a valid reason to not wear a mask. I find them distressing so do not wear them as is my right.
Then you must be careful about where your travels take you.

Not all regimes put a self-declaration of distress above public health concerns.
stewardo, :D! and Tocsin like this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Not all regimes put a self-declaration of distress above public health concerns.
depends which country as you said. If you go to France it’s worse than Switzerland for example.

by the way all this talk about London tier 3, would they bother before Xmas? Not like one week or tier 3 before everyone goes to see each other for a week for Xmas would make a difference. If anything they can get away with a stricter January as it’s dead quiet first few weeks anyway even without a lockdown.

i have to say after Sweden and Switzerland the uk has been the most chilled out about the whole thing
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Has there been a more restrictive update for tier 3? I was reading that pubs could remain open if you had food with a meal. Is this now not the case and any pub (or restaurant) is completely closed for business?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Worked most places I have been. I avoid places that have gone completely authoritarian, however I have had a lot of success at a normal life visiting open countries. I have actually had quite a good 2020 to be fair. Life is what you make of it, and one must push at the open doors and not get frustrated banging on the closed ones.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Has there been a more restrictive update for tier 3? I was reading that pubs could remain open if you had food with a meal. Is this now not the case and any pub (or restaurant) is completely closed for business?
At level 3 in Scotland (which we have just moved down to), pubs and restaurants are allowed to re-open, but cannot serve alcohol and must close by 1800.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
In England since 2 December in tier 3 pubs and restaurants cannot open and serve drinks and food for consumption on premises. In tier 2 they can open and serve drinks with a meal. There isn’t any change to this since 2 December.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
In England since 2 December in tier 3 pubs and restaurants cannot open and serve drinks and food for consumption on premises. In tier 2 they can open and serve drinks with a meal. There isn’t any change to this since 2 December.
the million dollar question is whether London will go to tier 3 in the run up to Christmas. May be dangerous to do so as people will just gather in each other’s homes more, especially as rules lighten up over Christmas. In January people naturally socially distance in a quiet month
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks for the clarification. Is there going to be another announcement before Christmas with either an updated tier list and/or a relaxed tier for a short amount of time during Christmas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.