FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KARFA
the tier system pre November had no rules about movement within or in/out of local areas in any tiers, but there was guidance to avoid travel in tier 3.

if there are any strict rules about travel after 2 December i think they would be confined to tier 3 only. when the legislation is published i will see what it says and whether it is a legal restriction or just guidance.
Thanks Karfa, will await your input.

Even if allowed to travel. Can one actually get travel health insurance...
Old Nov 26, 2020, 5:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This seems to be the tier list for England for after 2 December https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-lis...-tiers-by-area

Tier 1: Medium alert
South East
Isle of Wight

South West
Cornwall
Isles of Scilly

Tier 2: High alert
North West
Cumbria
Liverpool City Region
Warrington and Cheshire

Yorkshire
York
North Yorkshire

West Midlands
Worcestershire
Herefordshire
Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin

East Midlands
Rutland
Northamptonshire

East of England
Suffolk
Hertfordshire
Cambridgeshire, including Peterborough
Norfolk
Essex, Thurrock and Southend on Sea
Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes

London
all 32 boroughs plus the City of London

South East
East Sussex
West Sussex
Brighton and Hove
Surrey
Reading
Wokingham
Bracknell Forest
Windsor and Maidenhead
West Berkshire
Hampshire (except the Isle of Wight), Portsmouth and Southampton
Buckinghamshire
Oxfordshire

South West
South Somerset, Somerset West and Taunton, Mendip and Sedgemoor
Bath and North East Somerset
Dorset
Bournemouth
Christchurch
Poole
Gloucestershire
Wiltshire and Swindon
Devon

Tier 3: Very High alert
North East
Tees Valley Combined Authority:
Hartlepool
Middlesbrough
Stockton-on-Tees
Redcar and Cleveland
Darlington

North East Combined Authority:
Sunderland
South Tyneside
Gateshead
Newcastle upon Tyne
North Tyneside
County Durham
Northumberland

North West
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Blackpool
Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
The Humber
West Yorkshire
South Yorkshire

West Midlands
Birmingham and Black Country
Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull

East Midlands
Derby and Derbyshire
Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
Leicester and Leicestershire
Lincolnshire

South East
Slough (remainder of Berkshire is tier 2: High alert)
Kent and Medway

South West
Bristol
South Gloucestershire
North Somerset
:D! and Radiation Station like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
So, is it illegal to travel from a tier 3 area to a lower tier area and stay overnight? Or is this just advised against? I find it difficult to tell what is illegal and what is against guidance.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
So, is it illegal to travel from a tier 3 area to a lower tier area and stay overnight? Or is this just advised against? I find it difficult to tell what is illegal and what is against guidance.
not sure yet. as noted above we will know when the relevant statutory instruments are published.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Kent is going to be T3? Restaurants and pubs only open for takeout? Wow. The entire county gets blanketed with T3? I read that western Kent is much lower than eastern Kent (near Thanet).
I feel sorry for all the businesses that will close permanently due to UK's actions.

Is there an established date when after 12/2 this will be reviewed and assessed again? I"m going to be in Kent for the week of 12/20. That would suck if everything was shut down.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's not very local is it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
not sure yet. as noted above we will know when the relevant statutory instruments are published.
Does anybody know when the statutory instrument will be published? I'm not sure if it is something that will come out today or over the next few days.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Kent is going to be T3? Restaurants and pubs only open for takeout? Wow. The entire county gets blanketed with T3? I read that western Kent is much lower than eastern Kent (near Thanet).
I feel sorry for all the businesses that will close permanently due to UK's actions.

Is there an established date when after 12/2 this will be reviewed and assessed again? I"m going to be in Kent for the week of 12/20. That would suck if everything was shut down.
Apparently 16/12.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

Don’t hold your breath. Most commentators believe that reductions in tiers are unlikely until we’re all vaccinated - it’s far more likely that many places in Tier 2 will move to Tier 3.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Don’t hold your breath. Most commentators believe that reductions in tiers are unlikely until we’re all vaccinated - it’s far more likely that many places in Tier 2 will move to Tier 3.
Until today and this nonsense of a "local" lockdown tier implementation, I would have disagreed. Now it is obvious that, albeit opening a few things up, this is still a national lockdown and that the entire hope of getting out of this rests on the entire country being vaccinated.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Which commentators are those? You're the first person I've heard say this. We won't all be vaccinated ever, so your comment makes no sense.

My area is now less than the England average but we're still stuck at Tier 3. Hopefully going down to Tier 2 on 16/12.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What does T2 and separately T3 mean in regards to traveling to an airport and getting on a leisure flight?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound
What does T2 and separately T3 mean in regards to traveling to an airport and getting on a leisure flight?
no idea yet. there have been some comments that no tier will have mandatory travel restrictions, merely guidance. but it's a little unclear atm. today was all about which areas are in which tiers. perhaps more information tomorrow or monday
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seaskybound
Well I would say that counts as part of a longer journey, and in that case:

Tier 2: if you live in a tier 2 area, you must continue to follow tier 2 rules when you travel to a tier 1 area. Avoid travel to or overnight stays in tier 3 areas other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.You can travel through a tier 3 area as a part of a longer journey

Tier 3: avoid travelling to other parts of the UK, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities. You can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Of course keep in mind nobody from the rest of the UK is allowed into Wales or Scotland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.