Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Maybe Whitty is still hoping for a big spike so he can be proved right?
This is at best ingenerous, at worst offensive. He’s a doctor for Pete’s sake, not Gengis Khan. The man might have foibles, has made mistakes (like anyone I should add) but to say that he’s secretely hoping for more people to die so he can be proved right is just not on.
IAN-UK, DYKWIA, VSLover and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Agree. Macron and Merkel have done more damage than any anti-vaxxers ever could.
Germany’s death rate is half the UK’s. Even France is 20% lower. This isn’t over by any rate, but attempting to judge based on the last few months of vaccinations and ignoring what went before is somewhat of a heroic take.
8420PR and HB7 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by 13901
This is at best ingenerous, at worst offensive. He’s a doctor for Pete’s sake, not Gengis Khan. The man might have foibles, has made mistakes (like anyone I should add) but to say that he’s secretely hoping for more people to die so he can be proved right is just not on.
Not die just lots of cases in kids etc because he hasn't been out seeing them all mixing and playing together over the last few weeks.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:02 am

Not die just lots of cases in kids etc because he hasn't been out seeing them all mixing and playing together over the last few weeks.
I say it again, a doctor (bound by all the “do-no-harm” Hippocratic ethics and so on) is wishing, in your view, for people to get sick?

Are you serious?
adrianlondon, Tocsin and DocWatson like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I say it again, a doctor (bound by all the “do-no-harm” Hippocratic ethics and so on) is wishing, in your view, for people to get sick?

Are you serious?
I'll see your doctor, and raise you a Shipman.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:05 am

Are you serious?
No I'm saying he's scratching his head as to why there's not been a big spike in cases yet as his model was telling him there would be.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:13 am

No I'm saying he's scratching his head as to why there's not been a big spike in cases yet as his model was telling him there would be.
That’s quite a looooooong jump from “I bet he hopes that cases go up so he can be proved right” as per your previous post.

And BTW, as him and BoJo have repeated ad nauseam, it takes some weeks for data to be confirmed. We all get that you’re super eager to go to Marbella but can you hold on for a few more weeks?
Tocsin likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:23 am

A comment to add before this thread goes into lockdown itself...

Originally Posted by HB7
This scientist (who doesn't even have all the medical qualifications, honours and titles that Mr Whitty has) sounds like he's the politician making the decisions, and its easy to see how this irks people.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
A comment to add before this thread goes into lockdown itself...

This scientist (who doesn't even have all the medical qualifications, honours and titles that Mr Whitty has) sounds like he's the politician making the decisions, and its easy to see how this irks people.
but, crucially, is he? According to Wikipedia he’s a member of SAGE, a modeller. He’s not an expert on variants, on the efficacy of vaccines against those variants and so on. His will be a voice in the chorus, together with virologists, other medical experts and, of course, the economists. Boris and the government will need to factor all of them in before making a decision come April 12th. Personally I’m not too optimistic. Hotel confinement might be here to stay, especially for LATAM considering Brazil...
Internaut likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:42 am

but, crucially, is he? According to Wikipedia he’s a member of SAGE, a modeller. He’s not an expert on variants, on the efficacy of vaccines against those variants and so on. His will be a voice in the chorus, together with virologists, other medical experts and, of course, the economists. Boris and the government will need to factor all of them in before making a decision come April 12th. Personally I’m not too optimistic. Hotel confinement might be here to stay, especially for LATAM considering Brazil...
These are the decks they're producing...

https://assets.publishing.service.go...worst_case.pdf

If you turned up to a real-world client with that they'd throw it in the bin and you won't be coming back. And this is one of the better slide-decks.
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
These are the decks they're producing...

https://assets.publishing.service.go...worst_case.pdf

If you turned up to a real-world client with that they'd throw it in the bin and you won't be coming back. And this is one of the better slide-decks.
What's the matter with them?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:32 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I'm not optimistic about travel in 2021. In my opinion, the current rules for anyone coming from any country having to quarantine for 10 days at home will be here for most of 2021 if not all and the red-list will grow a lot longer. The "task force" that has been formed that will deliver a report on the 12th of April will most likely amount to nothing.

The logic given is that overseas borders have to be closed (for years if it is up to some of the scientists we have) because of the threat of current variants and new variants that I'm sure will be found in due time have on vaccine effectiveness. It seems like the Oxford/AZD vaccine is much less effective against the South African variant, and possibly the Brazilian variant. If this is found to be conclusive, then every single one of those millions of people who has received the AZD vaccine is not protected (from overseas guests/tourists) until they receive their booster shot that is being developed - and that booster apparently won't be ready till Autumn. By the time the vaccine booster has been approved, checked and administered to likely half the British population, 2021 is gone.

I think any foreign travel this summer is almost impossible now, and most likely not going to be possible this year. So much for "global Britain".
Internaut and HGOLI like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
paulaf has an (obvious) point
Sure he/she is making a point: but it's a naive point.

if the data is looking particularly good, you don't need to wait for more.
that doesn't take much consideration to be seen as rather a reckless premise.

One piece of evidence does not mean that a case is definitively proved. Or to put it in a folksy way: One swallow does not a summer make etc

...(it) points to what everyone knows - it's nothing to do with data...they just want a lockdown as long as possible.......
Who are these "everyone" ? It sounds like an echo of Trumpian rhetoric.

Who wants a lockdown as long as possible? What benefit do you believe they achieve from a lockdown imposed without reason?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That document is not a slide deck but, rather, a simple pdf containing a few charts and explanatory notes. It's not the most attractive document, but is presumably for internal use, where it is the content that matters.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Maybe Whitty is still hoping for a big spike so he can be proved right?

I can't get my head around anyone attributing such malicious attitudes towards children's well-being to a scientist and clinician following a life devoted to public service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.