Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Today's data looking pretty good:

Cases 4,802 (6,609 last Friday)
Deaths 101 (175)
Patients on ventilation now 879 (1,110)
Weekly average deaths now under 100 at 98 thanks to 42% drop today compared to last week. Good day for vaccinations 660k new records I think in total, split 528k first doses, 132k 2nd doses. No big spike yet from schools going back! Also much lower numbers in hospital 6,544.
Silver Fox and DaveS like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyLilBlondie
If they are young and healthy then encourage them to do a few volunteer shifts. Thats how me and my under 30year old partner got ours, and we were giving back to the community at the same time
The number of volunteering my area is massively outstripping demand in my area (and I’m only up the road from you). Volunteers are taking about a month from initial registration to being able to book shifts. Even then the rule is that volunteers have to have 6 shifts booked before they get their vaccine, in order to prevent free-loaders, though often they will be put first in the queue for spares if they do the final shift of the day.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by paulaf
Funny how Whitty said it's too early to comment on data about children when this was reported in the Telegraph very low rates found:"Children returning to school has not led to a rise in Covid infections, as the first data shows just 0.05 per cent of secondary students tested positive.

Unless you are dead set on conspiracy theories, there's no ambiguity in what you spotted.

Observers point out early data show low infection rates. Chris Witty hasn't voiced disagreement with that observation: but he points out that it's too early to reach a definitive judgement on the impacts of opening schools.

And that will be Professor Chris Whitty CB FFPH FRCP Fellow of the Academy of Medical Science, physician and epidemiologist, the country's Chief Medical Officer, Chief Medial Adviser to the UK Government, Chief Scientific Adviser to the Dept of Health and Head of the National Institute for Health Research.

The chap's not infallible: but even so, on balance I think his opinions on health matters might carry just a little more weight than those of Telegraph journalists.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
One year on...

Parts of France are locking down (again) and Italy. Lockdowns are not easy but the lockdown here feels as if we might be working to towards a better future for all, despite the hardship now.

It’s hard to imagine I was sat in an empty pub in central London drinking a pint of Guinness a year ago to celebrate St Patrick’s and I haven’t been to London since. However I know that moment will come round again. It’s just a matter of time. One thing I don’t miss, I certainly don’t miss the London prices.

What don’t you miss? Do you remember where you were?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
And that will be Professor Chris Whitty CB FFPH FRCP Fellow of the Academy of Medical Science, physician and epidemiologist, the country's Chief Medical Officer, Chief Medial Adviser to the UK Government, Chief Scientific Adviser to the Dept of Health and Head of the National Institute for Health Research.
The same chap who presided over the highest Covid-19 death rate in a major country, worldwide?

paulaf has an (obvious) point - if the data is looking particularly good, you don't need to wait for more. And really, a refusal to move early when possible (or at least provide thorough reasoning for why its not possible) points to what everyone knows - it's nothing to do with data, they just want a lockdown as long as possible. Some people quite like the idea of lockdown, others see where this leaves us in a year's time.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY, HB7 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Parts of France are locking down (again) and Italy. Lockdowns are not easy but the lockdown here feels as if we might be working to towards a better future for all, despite the hardship now.

It’s hard to imagine I was sat in an empty pub in central London drinking a pint of Guinness a year ago to celebrate St Patrick’s and I haven’t been to London since. However I know that moment will come round again. It’s just a matter of time. One thing I don’t miss, I certainly don’t miss the London prices.

What don’t you miss? Do you remember where you were?
What don’t I miss? Commuting, any Tube line going into London and the tourists stepping into the cycle lane without even bothering to check who’s coming.

Oh, and the Qatar/Kuwait/Saudi-plated supercars and the w*nkers who rev them while they sit behind you at the traffic light... although cycling veeeery slow in front of them gave me a kind of satisfaction.
Internaut, DaveS and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
And really, a refusal to move early when possible (or at least provide thorough reasoning for why its not possible) points to what everyone knows - it's nothing to do with data, they just want a lockdown as long as possible.
I am absolutely certain that no-one in government - no-one - wants the lockdown to last longer than absolutely necessary, and to claim that "everyone knows" that "they want a lockdown as long as possible" is conspiracy theory taken to the extreme.

And they have already explained why the dates in the roadmap are the earliest possible and are very unlikely to be brought forward.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:33 am

The same chap who presided over the highest Covid-19 death rate in a major country, worldwide?
Semantics, but important ones: a chief medical officer doesn’t “preside”. That would be a President, or in our case a Prime Minister.

Experts make recommendations but the buck ultimately stops with politicians.

Indeed, during this crisis experts recommended on numerous occasions more swift action than was then taken by politicians (in particular during Sept/Oct) and subsequent events have shown their warnings to be prescient and justified.

Unfortunately, too many politicians, armchair commentators, and “superforecasters” seem determined to interpret caution and uncertainty - with which any self-respecting expert frames their advice - as evidence that experts “don’t know what they’re talking about”. This is not how science or expertise works.

Have the scientists and experts got some things wrong in the last year? Of course, but (unlike certain politicians) they would acknowledge that and seek to learn lessons from it. Can lessons be learnt? Absolutely. No-one is claiming experts are infallible, except some politicians who want to set them up as straw men and thereby undermine them.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by squawk
Semantics, but important ones: a chief medical officer doesn’t “preside”. That would be a President, or in our case a Prime Minister.

Experts make recommendations but the buck ultimately stops with politicians.

Indeed, during this crisis experts recommended on numerous occasions more swift action than was then taken by politicians (in particular during Sept/Oct) and subsequent events have shown their warnings to be prescient and justified.

Unfortunately, too many politicians, armchair commentators, and “superforecasters” seem determined to interpret caution and uncertainty - with which any self-respecting expert frames their advice - as evidence that experts “don’t know what they’re talking about”. This is not how science or expertise works.

Have the scientists and experts got some things wrong in the last year? Of course, but (unlike certain politicians) they would acknowledge that and seek to learn lessons from it. Can lessons be learnt? Absolutely. No-one is claiming experts are infallible, except some politicians who want to set them up as straw men and thereby undermine them.
Agree. Macron and Merkel have done more damage than any anti-vaxxers ever could.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
No, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.
Kgmm77 and Misco60 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:35 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

paulaf has an (obvious) point - if the data is looking particularly good, you don't need to wait for more. And really, a refusal to move early when possible (or at least provide thorough reasoning for why its not possible) points to what everyone knows - it's nothing to do with data, they just want a lockdown as long as possible. Some people quite like the idea of lockdown, others see where this leaves us in a year's time.
Really? I've yet me to meet anybody that likes lockdown. Most people I know are pragmatic and realise it's a necessary evil, but I don't hear people saying "Yipee! Another lockdown on its way, 4 more months of not going out!".
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:47 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Unless you are dead set on conspiracy theories, there's no ambiguity in what you spotted.

The chap's not infallible: but even so, on balance I think his opinions on health matters might carry just a little more weight than those of Telegraph journalists.
Just because you disagree with someone or their view is not consistent with the BBC doesn't make it a conspiracy theory.

As for the many titles of Chris Whitty - clearly it shows those titles/designations/call them whatever you like are pointless. I'm a chartered engineer and most engineers would tell you chartership is a tick-box exercise that means nothing. Chris Whitty is the guy who said "no point in closing the borders, because the virus is already here" - that error is absolutely massive and is one of the few reasons we have one of the top 5 worst death rates in the world.

If he had just looked around the world, he would have seen that every country was virtually shutting its borders. It's not hindsight, and it was so clear to virtually everyone that needed to happen. Yet we kept our borders open, and look at what has happened.

Because of that, the borders are shut (after 120k deaths) and unlikely to open for a very long time - likely to lead to more economic devastation for the UK and thousands more jobs lost.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:51 am

Maybe Whitty is still hoping for a big spike so he can be proved right?
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
Maybe Whitty is still hoping for a big spike so he can be proved right?
You can't possibly really believe that.
Tocsin and DocWatson like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.