Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Thanks and that all makes sense. On (2) and (3), there is a limit here. While I try and respect the law, where I feel fundamental freedoms are being unjustly taken away, I don't necessarily think that considering enforcement risk is unreasonable. If the direction of travel is as we see it yet the UK continues to prohibit international travel well into the summer, then enforcement risk is absolutely going to factor into our non-essential travel decisions. If an end of the ban is going to come by May or sooner, then we'll probably just respect that.

I respect that people have different opinions. I ask that they also respect mine.
I would respect your opinion even more if you were willing to stand up for your beliefs, rather than simply trying to gauge if you will be caught.
stewardo likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:51 am

Thanks and that all makes sense. On (2) and (3), there is a limit here. While I try and respect the law, where I feel fundamental freedoms are being unjustly taken away, I don't necessarily think that considering enforcement risk is unreasonable. If the direction of travel is as we see it yet the UK continues to prohibit international travel well into the summer, then enforcement risk is absolutely going to factor into our non-essential travel decisions. If an end of the ban is going to come by May or sooner, then we'll probably just respect that.

I respect that people have different opinions. I ask that they also respect mine.
Australians have been banned from leaving the country for nearly a year and that looks like it will be extended. We're nothing in comparison to that.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:51 am

From Sky news, (but where are we placed in the world for vaccine rollout is it 3rd, ironic that):

Britain has the most severe lockdown in the developed world, according to figures compiled by Oxford University

The Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker, which compares the COVID-19 restrictions imposed in countries around the world, puts the UK's overall level of strictness at 86.1, on a scale of 0 to 100, where 100 is the strictest possible set of measures, writes data editor Ed Conway.

That means the UK has the highest level of restrictions among OECD and G20 nations - the broadest definition of the developed world. It has the fifth highest levels of restrictions in the world, after Cuba, Eritrea, Honduras and Lebanon.

The Oxford tracker, compiled by the Blavatnik School of Government, attempts to take everything from travel restrictions to school closures and compile them into an index. While this method is fraught with difficulties, it remains one of the few methods of comparing lockdown severity between nations.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
I would respect your opinion even more if you were willing to stand up for your beliefs, rather than simply trying to gauge if you will be caught.
I kind of feel like that was a dare to book a flight to Male for tomorrow.
paulaf and CrazyLilBlondie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Australians have been banned from leaving the country for nearly a year and that looks like it will be extended. We're nothing in comparison to that.
Yes but they're following a zero Covid policy, I've been told we're not.
LETTERBOY and CrazyLilBlondie like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The team at Legislation.gov.uk is usually pretty good at marking up regs and Acts with amends - or at the very least showing (at the top of the page) if there are outstanding amends still to be marked up. I guess it wouldn’t be a surprise if they were running behind give the volume of leg in this area, as well as Brexit deficiency fixes, though (I’m not following the leg in this area so not sure how up to date they are).
Yes, that is very true, but the problem is the flow is now all over the place. So there will be an amendment to an amendment to the original SI and gets very tricky to get the overall picture. So take the self isolation / managed isoltion requirements, there was an amendment that specifically allowed transit passengers to avoid this, even if it meant switching between say LHR and LGW. But that amendment didn't change a separate amendment of an amendment, which mandated booking tests on day 2 and 8 - these are required even if you are not in the country. Which is bonkers, I think the edifice got so over-wrought that they didn't notice it. If you had a clean baseline SI then it would much clearer and easier to enforce.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by HB7
this is to a degree due to the fact that currently UK travellers are banned from a lot of countries as well.
I'm watching with keen interest what's about to happen in Italy. There, as you said, the government has banned travellers from the UK unless they're returning residents. The rule was introduced on December 23rd and should be revised on or around March 5th: it'll be interesting to see what's happening at that time. Right now the press, there, has whipped itself in a frenzy with regards to the "English variant"...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that is very true, but the problem is the flow is now all over the place. So there will be an amendment to an amendment to the original SI and gets very tricky to get the overall picture. So take the self isolation / managed isoltion requirements, there was an amendment that specifically allowed transit passengers to avoid this, even if it meant switching between say LHR and LGW. But that amendment didn't change a separate amendment of an amendment, which mandated booking tests on day 2 and 8 - these are required even if you are not in the country. Which is bonkers, I think the edifice got so over-wrought that they didn't notice it. If you had a clean baseline SI then it would much clearer and easier to enforce.
Yes, my MO was to carry the legislation printed in my car glovebox in case the Police were trying to be funny and I could quote from the legislation why I believe I am in the right, but the SI's are getting very confusing now. Luckily I've never been stopped or challenged by the Police except to please move on if I don't mind which is fine by me.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm watching with keen interest what's about to happen in Italy. There, as you said, the government has banned travellers from the UK unless they're returning residents. The rule was introduced on December 23rd and should be revised on or around March 5th: it'll be interesting to see what's happening at that time. Right now the press, there, has whipped itself in a frenzy with regards to the "English variant"...
France is already allowing hauliers in without a test if they are in the UK less than 48 hours which changed yesterday so looks like the UK is slowly slowly getting out of the pariah of the world phase!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:09 am
Suspended

Yes, I potentially have business travel second half of March and would very much like to be there in person (for those wondering if this is actually essential, it is part of a criminal proceeding in Italy where all other parties and counsel involved would be sitting in a room with government officials).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So take the self isolation / managed isoltion requirements, there was an amendment that specifically allowed transit passengers to avoid this, even if it meant switching between say LHR and LGW. But that amendment didn't change a separate amendment of an amendment, which mandated booking tests on day 2 and 8 - these are required even if you are not in the country. Which is bonkers, I think the edifice got so over-wrought that they didn't notice it. If you had a clean baseline SI then it would much clearer and easier to enforce.
I realise this is probably for the other thread, but after looking at it again yesterday logically it does follow:

- schedule 2 part 2 states people who do not have to comply with regulation 4, and this now include transit passengers as noted in section 5
- regulation 4 is the requirement to self isolate from non red list countries, and also the requirement for managed quarantine from red list countries (sch. B1A)
- the requirement to book a day 2&8 test package is in new regulation 3B, and this applies to anyone who must self isolate or do managed quarantine under regulation 4

So by definition, generally if you are not required to self isolate or do managed quarantine under regulation 4, you are not required to book a day 2&8 test package.

I appreciate a simpler way could have been found to make this clear. Also it is very hard to understand this until the amendments from the amending SI are incorporated in to the parent SI so it is often difficult to spot on the day the amending SI is published.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Unfortunately, the only way to get a consolidated set of regs (officially at least) is to revoke and re-lay. I suspect this isn’t high up the list of priorities for how to spend time.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
France is already allowing hauliers in without a test if they are in the UK less than 48 hours which changed yesterday so looks like the UK is slowly slowly getting out of the pariah of the world phase!
OK, that's frankly stupid. I understand a two-hour transit airside, but 48 hours? I'm not a fan of Priti's hotel prisons, or the new rules that the Dutch introduced for testing on the day but this is the pendulum swinging on the opposite side. I mean, a lateral flow test takes, what, 20 minutes?

Yes, I potentially have business travel second half of March and would very much like to be there in person (for those wondering if this is actually essential, it is part of a criminal proceeding in Italy where all other parties and counsel involved would be sitting in a room with government officials).
I'm selling a flat down there and right now I'm facing the choice of doing everything remotely (which includes FedExing keys, going to the consulate to notarize a power of attorney letter, finding somebody who can dispose/recycle the contents of said flat) or going down there myself and doing the needful. As much as I don't like testing if I'm to do it all from here I'll probably avoid a small chance of getting Covid for a very fat chance of getting a heart attack.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes, my MO was to carry the legislation printed in my car glovebox in case the Police were trying to be funny and I could quote from the legislation why I believe I am in the right, but the SI's are getting very confusing now. Luckily I've never been stopped or challenged by the Police except to please move on if I don't mind which is fine by me.
Drove 25 miles yesterday for a walk, passed a police car on the way home, if they're doing number plate checks they would have known we weren't local, not stopped obviously.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.

Last edited by paulaf; Feb 22, 2021 at 6:36 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:32 am
Suspended

OK, that's frankly stupid. I understand a two-hour transit airside, but 48 hours? I'm not a fan of Priti's hotel prisons, or the new rules that the Dutch introduced for testing on the day but this is the pendulum swinging on the opposite side. I mean, a lateral flow test takes, what, 20 minutes?

I'm selling a flat down there and right now I'm facing the choice of doing everything remotely (which includes FedExing keys, going to the consulate to notarize a power of attorney letter, finding somebody who can dispose/recycle the contents of said flat) or going down there myself and doing the needful. As much as I don't like testing if I'm to do it all from here I'll probably avoid a small chance of getting Covid for a very fat chance of getting a heart attack.
Hasn't the Italian government made that decision for you? I thought it was a complete no-exceptions ban for non-residents coming from the UK (absent a 14 day stay somewhere else)?

And fully agree with you on the testing for haulers. This is the type of thing we should have in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.