Reload this Page >

LHR T5 to Underground--Painful?

Old Jul 30, 20, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

I have decided not to spend 100 pounds for a car service from LHR to Tenterden Kent as I hear trains and underground aren't that busy and don't like to throw away money. Being that my Dallas flight now arrives into T5 I find myself in unfamiliar territory. I had my routine down with prior T3 arrivals. Is it easy to get to the underground from T5? No more St Pancras for me unfortunately. I 'm going to take the Piccadilly line and get off at Leicester Square then walk a few blocks south to Charing Cross where I will grab a slow coach to Headcorn.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 20, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I have decided not to spend 100 pounds for a car service from LHR to Tenterden Kent as I hear trains and underground aren't that busy and don't like to throw away money. Being that my Dallas flight now arrives into T5 I find myself in unfamiliar territory. I had my routine down with prior T3 arrivals. Is it easy to get to the underground from T5? No more St Pancras for me unfortunately. I 'm going to take the Piccadilly line and get off at Leicester Square then walk a few blocks south to Charing Cross where I will grab a slow coach to Headcorn.

Thanks
Very easy to get to the Underground from T5, clearly marked signs, actually less walking than from T3 to Undergraound station.
enviroian and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
It's easier to get to the tube from T5 than T3! It's literally straight down by lift rather than the long walk at T3.

The only issue to bear in mind is that there are fewer trains (so a longer wait) from T5 than T3 but I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have lugagge then it will actually be easier to change to the District line at Hammersmith or Barons Court to Embankment then it's a short straight walk up to Charing X (I also think it's possible to take a lift / escalator up to the Jubilee bridge level and walk into the station that way rather than walk up the Villiers Street slope) Not sure what the step free options are at Leicester Square - check the TFL website.

You could always switch to the Northern line at Leicester Square down to Charing X rather than walk the streets.
KARFA and enviroian like this.
Old Jul 30, 20, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Jubilee bridge access into Charing Cross was closed for a while (Iíll check tomorrow on my daily constitutional). Either way it still makes more sense to change at Barons Court for the District to Embankment. Much shorter walk than from Leicester Square.

EDIT - the Jubilee bridge access to Charing Cross is currently closed

Last edited by Swanhunter; Aug 1, 20 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 31, 20, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This is my regular route. Without bags the Leicester Square to Charing Cross walk is the quickest.
Leicester Square is escalator and stairs from ticket hall to street.
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post

Thanks
Has the 14 day self-isolation requirement for US citizens arriving in the UK been lifted?

Regards
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Has the 14 day self-isolation requirement for US citizens arriving in the UK been lifted?

Regards
No.
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post

Regards
No, but you have to get to where you are going to self -isolate. Crazy, right?
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
No, but you have to get to where you are going to self -isolate. Crazy, right?
Yes, you have to hold your breath for the entire journey.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The practical effects of a dysfunctional Home Office.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Yes, you have to hold your breath for the entire journey.
I don't even think there is a mandatory mask regulation. I know the FB groups I belong to of "Americans in the UK" have said they find it difficult to see people without masks. But I am in Florida where we have a mandatory mask order in pcae so who knows?
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:17 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I don't even think there is a mandatory mask regulation. I know the FB groups I belong to of "Americans in the UK" have said they find it difficult to see people without masks. But I am in Florida where we have a mandatory mask order in pcae so who knows?
Face coverings are mandatory on public transport in England (with some exceptions).

And a bunch of other places:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-face-covering

Rules do vary in each of the home nations and dependencies.
Old Aug 3, 20, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As above, face coverings are mandatory on public transport and will be mandatory on your flight and on arrival within Heathrow.

The legislation for quarantine requires "When you arrive in the UK, go straight to the place you’re staying. Only use public transport if you have no other option." Whilst I appreciate that a car service is expensive, you do have the option. Just my opinion but if you can afford to fly to the UK and isolate for 14 days before doing anything, I would argue that you really should (by law and morally) use the car service not take multiple legs on tube and train. Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk
stewardo likes this.
Old Yesterday, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The law has been in place since 15 June http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Search this Thread
Search Engine: