Wiki Posts
Search

Another UK Quarantine Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Privilege Gold
Another UK Quarantine Question

Stuck in Saudi Arabia, trying to move to Dubai.

No flights on the horizon for Riyadh, as borders remain firmly closed. Our only option seems to be to fly back to the UK on a special Saudia flight (British passport holders), stay in a hotel at the airport 1 night then fly on to DXB with EK the next day.

Will they make us remain in the UK for 14 days quarantine before flying on to DXB? We don't have a place to stay in UK and really just want to get to Dubai as soon as we can. We could even take a flight the same day but I didn't want to risk it incase of delays. There is no interline agreement with SAUDIA and EK so no chance to transit through the airport only.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:42 am

It's a nice plan but you have too many problems in your plan.

So your connecting flight will be the next day more then likely and therefor you cant checkin on landing. If you were hoping to stay airside you need to go landside to get your bags and the quantine guidelines make no mention of anyone flying out and in and the guidelines simply state Passengers are subject to self-isolation for 14 days meaning since you have no intention of staying more then a day, you may fall fowl of the rules and I guess on depature they could make a meal of it. You could also get someone great who is willing to get your bags, help you check in and allow you back air side to stay in a hotel for your next flight. The questions would be if EK would accept your luggage early? I have a feeling no might be the answer.

Another issue you may have, if your intending to use a residents permit or other wise to enter DXB, Iata says

"Residents of United Arab Emirates:
- must have a Resident Entry Permit obtained before departure at https://smartservices.ica.gov.ae/ech...t/default.html ; and
- are subject to medical screening and quarantine; and
4. A completed self-declaration health form must be presented upon arrival at Dubai (DXB)."

From this forum it seems many have applied in the past to come back and not had approval yet, so your idea may not work.

My suggestion would be fly back to the UK as atleast your in a place with open boarders and stay with family assuming you have in the UK and apply to return and await your approval. Looking at Saudi I think your looking September when they will possibly start looking at opening boarders but again nobody knows.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

It would be impossible to stay airside as there is no inter line agreement with the 2 airlines.

Also no hotels open airside to use anyway.

We aren’t residents of Dubai, we are residents of Saudi Arabia but will be doing our final exit. Travelling as tourists, then converting to resident visas so I know the rules for tourists going to Dubai. We will be travelling with COVID certificates and the right travel insurance.

We don’t have any family in the UK and wouldn’t want to risk anyone catching COVID if we do end up catching it while flying.

I’m wondering how they would stop us boarding the flight to Dubai, as we won’t be passing through immigration on the outbound sector, only the inbound from Saudi Arabia. I’m assuming they will need details from that flight, which we would give the hotel we are staying at.

Borders in Saudi won’t be opening soon. People are speculating wildly but it is at the whim of the King and even residents cannot enter the country, since March.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
You can leave Britain earlier than 14 days, you won’t be forced to sit the full 14 days through when you leave earlier.

Within 48 hours of your travel to the UK you need to register on a dedicated Government website and print the forms (or have it accessible on your phone). You will be asked to show these at the border.

In my opinion it is possible what you plan to do. Book a land side hotel at LHR. I believe most flights are now concentrated around T2 but better check to be sure obviously.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by QR27
I’m wondering how they would stop us boarding the flight to Dubai, as we won’t be passing through immigration on the outbound sector, only the inbound from Saudi Arabia. I’m assuming they will need details from that flight, which we would give the hotel we are staying at.

Borders in Saudi won’t be opening soon. People are speculating wildly but it is at the whim of the King and even residents cannot enter the country, since March.
You go through immigration / passport control twice before you get to DXB.

So before land your supposed to fill in the form at https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk Some airlines want to see this before depature and you will need to show it if your going to go landside at the immigration desk, see https://simpleflying.com/uk-travel-guide-covid/

Second passport control will be a passport at LHR usually a passport swipe if its a UK passport now if Border Force are checking your entry and exit dates it may cause a issue there if they are doing any checks. Your supposed to quanruntine but if your leaving its a grey area, nothing is said.

Apart from this, the only other person I can think that may question or cause an issue is the EK checkin agent, they are probably aware and told to look for anyone who does not have a return ticket as to if they are a tourist or someone returning since they need to see your authorisation code.

Actually what you may want to do is Air France/KLM is a partner I believe of Saudi (Sky Team) so you could have them interline your baggage across you stay airside and avoid the landside issue.

Last edited by suley; Jul 12, 2020 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted by troje, the UK rules provide for a self quarantine of 14 days OR until your departure from the UK, which ever comes first (not a grey area). You will need to fill out the required web form (listing your hotel, departure date, and contact info) within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival on the repatriation flight. Others have been doing overnight transits through LHR in this manner without issue.
Transit LHR

See this thread in the coronavirus forum for more info on the self quarantine:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html

Some threads on overnight transit and hotels during the quarantine:
Transit via LHR, Corona Rules
COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2021138-t5-hotels-3.html
troje and KARFA like this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jul 12, 2020 at 11:15 pm Reason: add link
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Brilliant info. Thanks!
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
If you're willing to do, please share your experience getting out of KSA and transiting through LHR to Dubai.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Will do. Should be leaving on the 25th from JED, then on to Dubai on the 26th.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by QR27
Will do. Should be leaving on the 25th from JED, then on to Dubai on the 26th.
I know someone that is considering the same flight.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
As noted by troje, the UK rules provide for a self quarantine of 14 days OR until your departure from the UK, which ever comes first (not a grey area). You will need to fill out the required web form (listing your hotel, departure date, and contact info) within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival on the repatriation flight. Others have been doing overnight transits through LHR in this manner without issue.
Transit LHR

See this thread in the coronavirus forum for more info on the self quarantine:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-arrivals.html

Some threads on overnight transit and hotels during the quarantine:
Transit via LHR, Corona Rules
COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2021138-t5-hotels-3.html

Yes, and just to add it is perfectly fine to arrive in England, go directly to a landside hotel overnight, go directly to the airport next day, and depart. There is no ambiguity around this, and overnight transit is explicitly allowed in the statutory instrument.

As noted you would still need to complete the passenger locator form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.