Can anyone speculate?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by enviroian
Can anyone speculate?
4th July. My birthday!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
It is also Independence Day in the US! So quite ironic. Yes it's looking like July 4, but we have no idea of the scope yet; only outdoors? are you allowed to stand? 1 meter? 2 meter? We have no idea.

Retail opened yesterday, I actually went to the shops, quite normal.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Really July 4th? I didn’t read that anywhere. I’m visiting family in Kent July 16 and was hoping at least the outdoor patios of pubs and restaurants would open —assuming capacity limits and table distancing.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Really July 4th? I didn’t read that anywhere. I’m visiting family in Kent July 16 and was hoping at least the outdoor patios of pubs and restaurants would open —assuming capacity limits and table distancing.
It looks like 4/7 for some form of hospitality opening - rental properties, perhaps pubs, restaurants etc. But it's not announced and there are no details. simultaneously, it seems probable that the 2m rule will reduce to 1m, but again there are no announcements. Likewise, that's the date pencilled in for hairdressers.

However, for your purposes, assuming the 14 day quarantine remains in place, then you won't be able to avail yourself of those things until 30 July - and your family will be locked in also. And I wouldn't be surprised if it will remain in place for the US, as long as the US bans the entry of UK citizens. (Of course, it won't be put in that way, it will just be that the virus is not in control in the US, so there's no air bridge in place).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
However, for your purposes, assuming the 14 day quarantine remains in place, then you won't be able to avail yourself of those things until 30 July ).
But technically of course I can go to Waitrose or a gas station or any other deemed "essential" place during my quarantine (if it's still in place). What's to stop me walking up to the local for an outdoor pint? I'm stating this theoretically of course. A waiting copper back at my moms house? Lol
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Bear in mind this is not a U.K. decision, it is a decision for England, Scotland, Wales and NI individually. Depending on how you want to spin it, England is either being more ambitious or foolhardy, Scotland more sensible or dilly-dallying. Either way, don’t expect uniformity across the islands.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Bear in mind this is not a U.K. decision, it is a decision for England, Scotland, Wales and NI individually. Depending on how you want to spin it, England is either being more ambitious or foolhardy, Scotland more sensible or dilly-dallying. Either way, don’t expect uniformity across the islands.
According to the latest reports the proposed dates for restaurants, pubs, etc. are 3 July for Northern Ireland and 15 July for Scotland. Not date announced yet for Wales.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
But technically of course I can go to Waitrose or a gas station or any other deemed "essential" place during my quarantine (if it's still in place). What's to stop me walking up to the local for an outdoor pint? I'm stating this theoretically of course. A waiting copper back at my moms house? Lol
Leaving aside the questions of enforcement and the risk of possibly spreading COVID, that's not quite correct. Technically, persons in quarantine aren't permitted to go out for "essential" activities such as shopping if they are able to rely on other persons to do it for them, e.g., by delivering groceries.
farci likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
As long as you buy a bag of crisps (chips) with your pint you went for food essentials
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Leaving aside the questions of enforcement and the risk of possibly spreading COVID, that's not quite correct. Technically, persons in quarantine aren't permitted to go out for "essential" activities such as shopping if they are able to rely on other persons to do it for them, e.g., by delivering groceries.
round my way you'd struggle to get a supermarket delivery slot within 14 days, so that's a mitigating circumstance should one be caught al fresco
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4th July is the best guess, but it has not been formally confirmed much to the annoyance of the many many businesses who are planning against a deadline that may move (as it did with non-essential retail).

to avoid a moderator intervention I shall avoid commenting further on the competence of the Government 😉
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
round my way you'd struggle to get a supermarket delivery slot within 14 days, so that's a mitigating circumstance should one be caught al fresco
I suppose so. But possibly not if you're quarantining in a room in a home where there are other residents (who should be less of a danger than you if you're quarantining properly), or unless you have no friends or neighbors willing to drop off groceries at your door. Of course, you're still unlikely to be caught, if you want to treat this like a cat-and-mouse game.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
4th July is the best guess, but it has not been formally confirmed much to the annoyance of the many many businesses who are planning against a deadline that may move
Unbelievable. I would think business owners would be screaming at the top of their lung regarding this absurdity. Or is this already happening?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Unbelievable. I would think business owners would be screaming at the top of their lung regarding this absurdity. Or is this already happening?
At least it’s better than California where my business was given 6 hours notice of being allowed to open, completely out of the blue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.