Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow hotels [during coronavirus restrictions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Heathrow hotels [during coronavirus restrictions]

Provided that i can fly to stockholm on july 3rd for 5 days i need to book an airport hotel at heathrow, but i cant really find for sure which if any hotels are open, it seems to vary by booking site, has anybody any idea about this, apologize if i have posted on wrong forum
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stephen Harwood
Provided that i can fly to stockholm on july 3rd for 5 days i need to book an airport hotel at heathrow, but i cant really find for sure which if any hotels are open, it seems to vary by booking site, has anybody any idea about this, apologize if i have posted on wrong forum
There is a list of LHR hotels which are open for booking in this post in the BA forum. It looks like you have to call to make a reservation.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32245404-post1.html
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There is a list of LHR hotels which are open for booking in this post in the BA forum. It looks like you have to call to make a reservation.
Thanks for that
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
problem i have had is some third party sites say nothing about restrictions and some do. also hotel sites like the Mercure for instance says" In response to COVID-19 and government guidelines we have closed the hotel except for key workers and government approved bookings" what is a government approved booking?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
problem i have had is some third party sites say nothing about restrictions and some do. also hotel sites like the Mercure for instance says" In response to COVID-19 and government guidelines we have closed the hotel except for key workers and government approved bookings" what is a government approved booking?
Don’t rely on third party booking sites. You’ll have to call individual hotels directly but since your planned trip is not imminent I’d wait until nearer the date if I were you.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't book through an OLTA anyway. You need a refundable (not prepaid) rate booked directly through the hotel or its chain. If your flight is cancelled, the hotel closes, or there are entry restrictions, you don't want to be fighting with an OLTA.
Stephen Harwood likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I booked the Hilton Garden Inn (near Hatton Cross tube which is very handy for reaching all terminals) via the Hilton website. I am staying tomorrow so I'll update here if there's any problems (if I don't post it means that nothing bad has happened and so I forgot about this thread).
A day after booking I received an email that was asking me to confirm that I still wanted the booking and also listed the limited facilities available (breakfast will be pre-ordered and collected, evening meals via room service. Gym, bar and restaurant closed due to current government guidance).

Once I replied back saying my flight was still operating they confirmed my booking.

Booking direct with Hilton allows you to refund without penalty if you decide to cancel your trip (or the airline does). Hilton are currently not offering advance purchase rates (but some hotels have a 'dream away' rate that is pretty much what the advance purchase rate would normally be but it's fully flexible) but during COVID-19 have removed the usual restrictions on their rates.

PS if your trip is for leisure (mine isn't) it's probably best not to mention that. I think it's the 4th July when hotels in England can reopen for leisure customers.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
I booked the Hilton Garden Inn (near Hatton Cross tube which is very handy for reaching all terminals) via the Hilton website. I am staying tomorrow so I'll update here if there's any problems (if I don't post it means that nothing bad has happened and so I forgot about this thread).
A day after booking I received an email that was asking me to confirm that I still wanted the booking and also listed the limited facilities available (breakfast will be pre-ordered and collected, evening meals via room service. Gym, bar and restaurant closed due to current government guidance).

Once I replied back saying my flight was still operating they confirmed my booking.

Booking direct with Hilton allows you to refund without penalty if you decide to cancel your trip (or the airline does). Hilton are currently not offering advance purchase rates (but some hotels have a 'dream away' rate that is pretty much what the advance purchase rate would normally be but it's fully flexible) but during COVID-19 have removed the usual restrictions on their rates.

PS if your trip is for leisure (mine isn't) it's probably best not to mention that. I think it's the 4th July when hotels in England can reopen for leisure customers.
i have booked this hotel for 2nd July for flight following day, so look forward to hearing any comments you may have, of course if HMG dont change quarantine rules I wont be going anywhere, so fingers crossed. The Thistle took my booking but didnt bother telling me they werent open
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
i have booked this hotel for 2nd July for flight following day, so look forward to hearing any comments you may have, of course if HMG dont change quarantine rules I wont be going anywhere, so fingers crossed. The Thistle took my booking but didnt bother telling me they werent open
My experience.
Online check-in and digital key are available so you have the option to avoid the front desk (there was actually a queue when I arrived!)
You need to use your room key to call for the lift on the ground for (the digital key will work)
Bar and restaurant are closed
Room service is currently available until 8pm (last orders 19:30 but I arrived too late to try it out)
The self service laundry is open
Breakfast needs to be pre-ordered using a form and you collect it in the morning at the time you specify
There’s food and drinks (including alcohol) available from the shop. They will also serve draught beer from the bar (but you need to take it to your room)
Microwaves are available to heat any food you bring in (or buy in their shop). The usual microwave in the shop is closed to allow social distancing but there’s two available near the restaurant area.
They had no issue offering me late check out
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

thanks for that all seems reasonable, begs the question why other hotels in uk cant open with similar procedures
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:55 am

thanks for that all seems reasonable, begs the question why other hotels in uk cant open with similar procedures
Unless they're going to take a special 14 day booking from an incoming passenger there is no demand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.