FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   UK airports - is anything open at all [at EDI]? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2018372-uk-airports-anything-open-all-edi.html)

angelats May 25, 2020 4:21 am

UK airports - is anything open at all [at EDI]?

I'll be flying to Edinburgh from Germany in the first week in June. I know that lounges are closed but I'm having difficulty finding any sort of information on what shops (if any) will be open in the terminal - as there will be no food on board, is there anywhere I can buy food and drink in Edinburgh Airport (preferably after security due to the restrictions on liquids)?

NewbieRunner May 25, 2020 6:36 am

Originally Posted by angelats (Post 32401854)
I'll be flying to Edinburgh from Germany in the first week in June. I know that lounges are closed but I'm having difficulty finding any sort of information on what shops (if any) will be open in the terminal - as there will be no food on board, is there anywhere I can buy food and drink in Edinburgh Airport (preferably after security due to the restrictions on liquids)?

According to Edinburgh Airport’s website W.H.Smith at several locations are open
https://www.edinburghairport.com/sho.../shops/whsmith
though M&S Simply Food is not.
https://www.edinburghairport.com/sho...ms-simply-food
(I mention M&S to show that the website seems to have been updated.)

However W.H.Smith’s website only mentions the airside shop.
https://www.whsmith.co.uk/stores/details?StoreID=2991

If you are flying to EDI you will only have access to landside shops (i.e. before security), won’t you?

Where in Germany are you flying from?

The _Banking_Scot May 25, 2020 6:45 am

Hi,

Also if you are arriving in EDI from Germany you will not have access to airside shops as you will be directed to passport control after leaving the aircraft ( then exit to landside). If flying back to Germany from EDI you will have access to the airside shops.

Also please note the UK quarantine takes effect on 8th June ( the current plan at least)

Regards

TBS

angelats May 25, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks a lot for the information - I didn't realise that the website had been updated. That's really helpful. Shame about Simply Food though.

I'm flying from Munich, but via Cologne and with an overnight stay there (thankfully our hotels are open again). It's the first time a route has been available to Scotland for some time though, so I won't complain.

I'm flying home (to Munich) just before quarantine takes effect on June 7th - wanted to make the most of the pre-quarantine window to visit family as the new rules will obviously hinder them in coming to visit me, at least for the foreseeable future.

NewbieRunner May 25, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by angelats (Post 32402109)
Thanks a lot for the information - I didn't realise that the website had been updated. That's really helpful. Shame about Simply Food though.

I'm flying from Munich, but via Cologne and with an overnight stay there (thankfully our hotels are open again). It's the first time a route has been available to Scotland for some time though, so I won't complain.

I'm flying home (to Munich) just before quarantine takes effect on June 7th - wanted to make the most of the pre-quarantine window to visit family as the new rules will obviously hinder them in coming to visit me, at least for the foreseeable future.

If you check Cologne Airport's website some shops and catering facilities appear to be open after security.
https://www.koeln-bonn-airport.de/am...rmationen.html

If you arrive in the UK before June 8th you won't be affected even after the proposed quarantine starts on 8th so there's no need for you to leave the UK on June 7th.

Scots_Al May 25, 2020 8:29 am

Bear in mind that unlike in England, the “full” lock down rules remain extant in Scotland. It is expected that from Thursday there will be some initial easing, which will allow you to meet some members of other households (details tbc, but this will only be outdoors and whilst maintaining physical distancing). You will still be strongly advised to stay at home.

angelats May 25, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 32402279)
Bear in mind that unlike in England, the “full” lock down rules remain extant in Scotland. It is expected that from Thursday there will be some initial easing, which will allow you to meet some members of other households (details tbc, but this will only be outdoors and whilst maintaining physical distancing). You will still be strongly advised to stay at home.

I'm aware of that and happy to stay in my parents' house - that's why I'm only planning to go for a few days.

corporate-wage-slave May 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Despite what the website is suggesting, I don't think there is any shop open airside in EDI. The usual trawl through duty free after security is replaced with a staff corridor to the area by Superdrug (which is closed) and there is nothing open at all. The airport is only using the area from just before the BA lounge to gate 14 (near the domestic exit), the rest of the airport is shuttered off. The water fountain by the exit to duty free is working so if you bring an empty flask or bottle you can fill that up. There are also some soft drink machines hidden away, but that's it. Landside is pretty empty too. Though there are quite a few cargo movements, some days EDI only has 2 flights (which is 2 more than NCL) though some flights are resuming in the next few weeks. But with I guess 70 passengers a day it's difficult to have anywhere open.

angelats May 26, 2020 7:31 am

Yes, I see that there are hardly any flights operating at the moment. I certainly hope that mine does and the flight isn't cancelled last minute.

corporate-wage-slave May 26, 2020 12:44 pm

With this photo I am able to convey the entire retail and culinary experience at EDI. This is the only place where you can spend money airside, and there isn't much more landside either. Prices vary from £1.20 for the smaller chocolates, to £2.50 for the larger bags of Opal Fruit. Or whatever they are called these days. Drinks around £2.20. This device is to be found between gates 12 and 14, gate 12 being the KLM gate, 14 for BA, as things stand.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/MEBlJC.jpg

rcspeirs May 27, 2020 2:53 am

I would urge you to think very carefully about this. Although you say you are coming "home", the rest of your post implies that home is Munich. If your normal home is Munich, the emergency regulations do NOT permit you to visit our stay at your parents home in Scotland. I would expect you to be quizzed very thoroughly at immigration about your reason for travel. The limitations on travel are strict (stricter in Scotland than England) and they are being enforced by Police Scotland.

Raffles May 27, 2020 3:13 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs (Post 32406746)
I would urge you to think very carefully about this. Although you say you are coming "home", the rest of your post implies that home is Munich. If your normal home is Munich, the emergency regulations do NOT permit you to visit our stay at your parents home in Scotland. I would expect you to be quizzed very thoroughly at immigration about your reason for travel. The limitations on travel are strict (stricter in Scotland than England) and they are being enforced by Police Scotland.

I believe he is flying over for a sight test, so the regulations do not apply.

Scots_Al May 27, 2020 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 32406759)
I believe he is flying over for a sight test, so the regulations do not apply.

Didn’t realise he was the pilot!

rcspeirs May 27, 2020 4:08 am

"I believe he is flying over for a sight test, so the regulations do not apply" @Raffles. I'm not reading the situation in the same way. The Regulations will always apply, but they do include some provisions which explicitly permit certain activities which would otherwise not be allowed.
Under 8(4) of the Regulations there are valid reasons for leaving your house, and I agree that medical issues are explicitly included as a valid reason to travel. But I see nothing that then adds on "and then go to visit family". I'm aware Mr Cummings believes the Regulations allow you to "do anything you think is reasonable" but I'm not sure a Scottish Court would agree. I'd be interested to know which clause in the Regulations do you believe permits a family visit/stay?

angelats May 27, 2020 4:58 am

Well the German Embassy says there are no restrictions on German citizens entering the UK, so I‘ll take my chance.