Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

When are UK hotels scheduled to reopen to the public?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When are UK hotels scheduled to reopen to the public?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I decided to cancel my trip to Oxford. I hope I will get the chance to visit sometime next year.
Smart move. It will be much nicer next year when you can really enjoy it!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Much of the charm of Oxford lies in being able to enter the colleges and stroll through the grounds. The same is true for Cambridge. When things are closed, there are other towns and villages in England where you could enjoy the place by just walking along public streets. York, Birmingham (a city of course), Glasgow (a city), Bristol, and Stratford (if you don't mind not being able to see a performance) would be on my list, but I'm sure there are other good examples.
Glasgow is certainly not an example of a town, village or even city in England!!!
Old May 2, 2020, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Glasgow is certainly not an example of a town, village or even city in England!!!
Yes it's in Scotland and the people there are Scottish and not Scotch.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of Scotland, I just had a hotel booking for late June cancelled by the Great Scotland Yard hotel (managed by Hyatt) in London. New re-opening date is not before June 30. I suspect this will be true for a lot of London hotels.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Speaking of Scotland, I just had a hotel booking for late June cancelled by the Great Scotland Yard hotel (managed by Hyatt) in London. New re-opening date is not before June 30. I suspect this will be true for a lot of London hotels.
I’m not sure I’d want to be in a hotel in London in June, even if it did reopen.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m not sure I’d want to be in a hotel in London in June, even if it did reopen.
Just curious - why wouldn't you? Is June a crummy month for weather?

David
enviroian, Silver Fox and ExpatExp like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Just curious - why wouldn't you? Is June a crummy month for weather?

David
No, it’s normally beautiful. You just won’t be able to do anything in London this June, going by the guidelines the government has released.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it’s normally beautiful. You just won’t be able to do anything in London this June, going by the guidelines the government has released.
Not even punting on the Thames by oneself?

David
Old May 4, 2020, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Not even punting on the Thames by oneself?

David
You can’t punt on the Thames in London!
Old May 4, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can’t punt on the Thames in London!
I guess not then.

David
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:32 am
Suspended

It's too deep. Punting is only feasible in water depth up to a few feet. Beyond that it just doesn't work out too well. I suppose parts of the river around Hampton Court and higher it might be possible, but there is too much tourist traffic there for it to be enjoyable or easy. Much better on the Cherwell in Oxford (where I learned, mostly unsuccessful) or the Cam in Cambridge.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Old May 5, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I suppose parts of the river around Hampton Court and higher it might be possible, but there is too much tourist traffic there for it to be enjoyable or easy.
There isn't much traffic at all on the river now. I live on the river in Hammersmith. Used to get all the rowing clubs, sailing club, pleasure boats, and tourist boats. The river services came as far up as Putney. Nowadays, really only see RNLI and police boats. Maybe a private boat once a week, and a few times in the past month and a half, there has been a solo kayaker, rower or stand-up paddle-boarder. But most hours pass without a boat at all. With the lack of planes overhead, and Hammersmith Bridge being closed to motor traffic, it's never been quieter along the river here.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
There isn't much traffic at all on the river now. I live on the river in Hammersmith. Used to get all the rowing clubs, sailing club, pleasure boats, and tourist boats. The river services came as far up as Putney. Nowadays, really only see RNLI and police boats. Maybe a private boat once a week, and a few times in the past month and a half, there has been a solo kayaker, rower or stand-up paddle-boarder. But most hours pass without a boat at all. With the lack of planes overhead, and Hammersmith Bridge being closed to motor traffic, it's never been quieter along the river here.
I suppose that's true. Used to enjoy a pint on the terrace of the Dove and watch Concorde scream overhead at about 1720...
GregWTravels likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:46 am

Tidal flow on the Thames can be very powerful - the river through London is far more dangerous than many realise. In any case, going out on the river right now would break the "essential journey" rules - and we have no clue when those rules will be relaxed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.