Wiki Posts
Search

Risk of UK border closure / travel scrutiny at airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Risk of UK border closure / travel scrutiny at airports

I have dual nationality (British/Swedish) and have been spending the last couple of weeks visiting my family in the UK. I am planning to stay in the UK throughout April until we are hopefully past the peak of cases/transmissions and to support a family member. My plan is to return to Sweden on 1st May (there are flights available with BA) but is there a risk that borders may be closed by then or might there be extra scrutiny at airports by airlines or police checking for non essential travel? Of course I could simply produce my Swedish passport and say I am repatriating myself back to Sweden where the lockdown is far less strict than it is in the UK.

Last edited by Saint4805; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:00 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes. There is a continuing risk of border closures, tighter restrictions of any kind or flights being cancelled.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Have to wonder if Sweden will have a sudden change of heart and suddenly lock down ; theyblook like they are where wecwere a few weeks ago
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Have to wonder if Sweden will have a sudden change of heart and suddenly lock down ; theyblook like they are where wecwere a few weeks ago
From what I can tell, Sweden believes that it has a half-decent healthcare system which can cope with the peak number of cases expected without many isolation measures. Worth remembering that, unlike Italy, virtually no Swedish pensioners live with their children and grandchildren so infection via that route is lower.

If we're lucky London will go the same way. Once the 4,000 beds at Excel are all functioning we may decide to let it run its course.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Your greater struggle may be getting a flight. My LHR-ARN on May 1st was cancelled yesterday - that's over a full month ahead. I would anticipate majority cancellations for that route at least into the beginning of May [of course I don't work for BA and have no solid evidence of this, but if it's integral for you to get back to Sweden then consider the implications of not being able to do so for a little time].
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Your greater struggle may be getting a flight. My LHR-ARN on May 1st was cancelled yesterday - that's over a full month ahead. I would anticipate majority cancellations for that route at least into the beginning of May [of course I don't work for BA and have no solid evidence of this, but if it's integral for you to get back to Sweden then consider the implications of not being able to do so for a little time].

So far BA are running 6-8 flights LHR-ARN a week probably helped by cargo. SAS operate daily and the DFDS Immingham-Gothenburg ferry still running (but at freight prices and it takes 28 hours).

Despite the media hyperbole, even in Stockholm there is a lot of very effective voluntary social distancing. In contrast, U.K. policy seems to be governed by input just from Imperial college, with no peer review, no revalidation of data inputs...bought to the U.K. by the same team who guided the disastrous response to BSE. Makes you think, rather.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’d really recommend everyone goes immediately to where they’d like to be for the next x months. Not doing so at the moment is really asking for problems - at the very least you will want a fully worked out plan B for up to 6 months not being able to get home.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just be prepared that Sweden may place you into a 14-day mandatory quarantine - in May. You cannot even go out for grocery shopping then. I assume Sweden will have to tighten its liberal policies.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
Just be prepared that Sweden may place you into a 14-day mandatory quarantine - in May. You cannot even go out for grocery shopping then. I assume Sweden will have to tighten its liberal policies.
Your assumption based on?
farci likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There have been a number of newspaper articles suggesting that Sweden will impose stricter measures soon. Here is one:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ockdown-europe
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
So far BA are running 6-8 flights LHR-ARN a week probably helped by cargo. SAS operate daily and the DFDS Immingham-Gothenburg ferry still running (but at freight prices and it takes 28 hours).

Despite the media hyperbole, even in Stockholm there is a lot of very effective voluntary social distancing. In contrast, U.K. policy seems to be governed by input just from Imperial college, with no peer review, no revalidation of data inputs...bought to the U.K. by the same team who guided the disastrous response to BSE. Makes you think, rather.
Sadly DFDS stopped taking fare paying passengers on this route a long while ago. Freight/drivers only.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your assumption based on?
The growing tally of European (and other) countries introducing such measures.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The growing tally of European (and other) countries introducing such measures.
But by no means all of them.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:44 am

OP, how do you expect anyone here to know the answer? Even if the PMs of Sweden or the UK are members of Flyertalk, I doubt they’ll announce anything on here before a press conference.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But by no means all of them.
No, but a reasonable assumption to make, in the current environment, is that a country will impose tighter travel restrictions, rather than loosening them. This is particularly relevant for someone trying to get home (viz the Brits in NZ who have essentially been told to hunker down for a considerable while.)
wrp96, alvinlwh, Saint4805 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.