Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Is Heathrow destined to become a hotbed as people connect EU LHR USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Heathrow destined to become a hotbed as people connect EU LHR USA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Sorry but this is nonsense. Non-Americans (and a few others) who have been in Schengen in the last 14 days cannot enter the USA. So it doesn’t help if these people fly via LHR, NRT or GIG - they can still not enter the USA.
Flight from Schengen-area hubs to the USA are still operating.
But for how long? They can only carry US Citizens & Permanent residents. I am guessing the airlines will significantly reduce their schedules.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Read 2/3 of this thread, A recurring theme to some extent seems to be to lie to cbp. I would suggest that is a huge mistake, You are not legally in the US until you clear customs. That includes US citizens. They can and will detain you and deport you. Be very careful.
They can't deport a US Citizen and a US Citizen would not need to lie anyway. They are exempt from the travel ban.
henry999 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I thought about switching my ex ARN-HEL-JFK route next week to ex DUB but realsed a trip to Belgium last week would have barred me anyway.

I have GE and value that immensily and I was not going to lie to a CBP officer and have it revoked if found out. Having GE does not exempt you from CBP questions.

Chances of being found out likely low but you can't be sure these days with all the data sharing that goes on plus I envisaged CBP officers specifially asking about visits to Schengen

Not only that I would have to answer 'yes' in the future to the question over having ever being denied entry in to the US and face the long term consequences of that - extre screening on arrival / possibly having to apply for a visa etc

It's not just this one visit you need to think about but future ones
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:26 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
This is kind of moot at this point because travel from the UK to the USA is also restricted as of real soon now (Monday?)
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by stc
This is kind of moot at this point because travel from the UK to the USA is also restricted as of real soon now (Monday?)
Monday.

But, same exemptions as the earlier order relating to Schengen.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:03 pm

ADGrant they can detain and refuse entry to a us citizen or anyone elese.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:50 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
A citizen cannot be denied entry to their home country.
...although the immigration folks don't have to make it easy, either.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No they can’t.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It does seem that the remaining flights are now full of people returning home in either direction. Then they will more or less stop.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please sttop spreading untrue information which does nothing but cause alarm (for those who do not know that you are wrong).

A US citizen may not be denied entry to the US. Period.

Just like any other person "found" in the US, a citizen could be quarantined. But, that has nothing to do with being denied entry.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 16, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
A citien could be denied entry by default by putting said citizen on a no-fly list - though that is a very targeted approach. Not impossible to get back but it will be more difficult, untimely and/or costly.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
A citien could be denied entry by default by putting said citizen on a no-fly list - though that is a very targeted approach. Not impossible to get back but it will be more difficult, untimely and/or costly.
A state cannot deny entry to one of it's own citizens.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
A state cannot deny entry to one of it's own citizens.
I'm not sure that is uniquely true of all states of the world. In fact, I would doubt that your assertion holds true for all recognised states, since not all states, for example, recognise the problem of statelessness, but for the majority of countries, I agree it holds true.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
A state can deny that someone is their citizen if the person lacks documentation or other proof. Some states revoke citizenship on spurious grounds such as the person concerned being eligible for citizenship of another country.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
A state can deny that someone is their citizen if the person lacks documentation or other proof. Some states revoke citizenship on spurious grounds such as the person concerned being eligible for citizenship of another country.
I'm not sure that not permitting dual nationality is a spurious ground. Indeed, 50 years ago, it was quite common as, in some ways, it goes against the whole concept of nationality. But then travel opened borders, mixed nationality marriages became very common and so, at least in wealthier countries, the prohibitions fell away. But to this day, very different attitudes pertain to dual nationality in different countries, from perhaps a very laissez faire attitude here, to a somewhat dubious attitude in the USA where your primary loyalty is expected to be to the USA even if you are not living there but in your other nation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.