Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luton airport hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Luton airport hotel

Have an upcoming morning trip out of Luton and my normal go to (HIX) is unavailable. I'm trying to decide between the Holiday Inn and the Marriott Courtyard. My biggest priorities are getting a good night's sleep and ease of access to the terminal by walking AND bus (I like to keep both options open). I don't care about the restaurant (which is good, because this seems to be a weak link for both properties!).

I have a slight preference for the Courtyard because I'm a Bonvoy elite member and it seems to get slightly better reviews but am wondering if the HI is noticably more convenient for walking to the terminal with my rolling suitcase and/or getting to the bus stop? Some online reviews implied that there's a much further walk to both from the Courtyard and/or that there's a significant uphill treck just to get to the street from the lobby, while others suggest otherwise.
​​​​
​​​Also, in terms of comfort and quiet, are the two about the same?
​​​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The HI and Courtyard are almost opposite each other. It's the same bus route (the A and 100 - you can pay by contactless) but the Courtyard has a slightly longer climb. You then have to head round past the HI and over the road by the fuel depot (no crossing) to reach the HIX and path up.

Don't know the properties, but the Courtyard is much newer.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
Courtyard gets my clients' vote.

I work with flight crews and most, who don't have a choice forced upon them, opt for the newish Courtyard. It seems okay.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. How steep is the walk up from the Courtyard to the bus stop at the HI?

Also, how safe is crossing the street between the HIX and HI, and between the HI and Courtyard?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by yonatan
Thanks for the info. How steep is the walk up from the Courtyard to the bus stop at the HI?

As it is a straight road it looks reasonably safe, just take usual precautions.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:13 pm

The road's fine, just a little rough. This area used to be part of a huge car plant, and the roads were set up accordingly.

The crossing by the HIX isn't particularly dangerous - I walk and cycle round here often enough - just remember which side of the road we drive on!

If you're coming from the Courtyard, do walk up past the HI and Novotel - there's a sheep's trail on the logical continuation of the path, but it's no good with luggage.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:14 pm

Oh, and if you're headed from the terminal to the hotel, note that the 100 bus heads from the airport towards Luton and towards Stevenage. Don't get the Stevenage bus! Or, if you do, make sure you hop off by the old Monarch HQ.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Distance-wise, it doesn't seem too bad and it seems the Courtyard's a superior property. I'm just a little concerned by what seems like a 10% incline from the Courtyard to the HI. Is that much steeper than the part walking from the HIX to the terminal? That was about as steep as I felt I could easily handle with y suitcase.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:45 pm

The hill pretty much stops at the roundabout.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
The hill pretty much stops at the roundabout.

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll wait to see how heavy my suitcase ends up being and then decide based on that if I think I can deal with the incline.

I understand there's some constuction on the aproach to the airport - does any of it interfere with the walk to the terminal?
​​​​
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by yonatan

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll wait to see how heavy my suitcase ends up being and then decide based on that if I think I can deal with the incline.

I understand there's some constuction on the aproach to the airport - does any of it interfere with the walk to the terminal?
​​​​
Don't think so, though it's a couple of weeks since I've been up there. They're building a new people mover link from the Parkway up to the terminal, but it affects the other side of the approach road. The bus station layout has changed since some of the maps were drawn, but the walking route is still on the side of Hangar 89 (the big, orange easyJet HQ).
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful - thanks.

One more question - is the walk from the terminal to the hotels safe at night? Is it well lit and are any road crossings well marked from the perspective of both pedestrians and drivers?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
It's not a picturesque pleasant walk, but it's safe. Plenty of lighting and pavements the whole way (though IIRC you have to cross the road near the hotel to follow the pavement). You're just walking alongside major roads with medium-speed traffic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.