Wiki Posts
Search

Supermarkets near Heathrow via public transport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Supermarkets near Heathrow via public transport

Hi all,

Does anybody know any large supermarkets near Heathrow that one can access by public transport?

I’m talking Tesco Extra, big Sainsbury’s, large Morrisons, large ASDA rather than the Tesco Express, M&S Simply Food, options.

I’m thinking of stocking up the next time I’m going through Heathrow and so wanted to see what options are available during a layover. Alternatively, I might take an Uber or have Sainsbury’s etc deliver to my hotel.

Simon
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This is something that is easy to search for yourself.... There are two big Tescos and a big Asda in Feltham which are simple to reach by bus.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:32 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
There’s also a very large Asda close to Hayes & Harlington station, which may be closer to your hotel if you’re staying on the Bath Road. It’s very well connected with multiple buses from Harlington Corner, about a five minute ride.

Armed with the thoughts presented so far, I’d have thought Google Maps would be your friend from here in determining the easiest to reach (other mapping apps are available ...).

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 9, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For delivery, https://ocado.com/ are rather good - they deliver Waitrose own brand, along with their own and a bunch of branded goods (it'll be M&S from later in the year) with hour timeslots, and are pretty flexible with delivery (although you may need to call and verify if it's a location they've had problems with before - whether rental properties or hotels).

But really, it depends where you're staying. The Bath Road hotels have a number of direct bus services to the surrounding suburbs, as do the couple at Hatton Cross - no need to head back to the airport first.

And then, it depends on what supermarket you're after...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
there is a tesco at slough station that the number 7 and number 8 buses go to from LHR. no oyster available on the 7 or 8 as its not one of the london buses (maybe first berkshire?)

there is also a sainsburys on the way into slough which I suspect these buses go past.

Also the 81 along the bath road goes past these supermarkets. Oyster is available on the 81. the 81 does not go past any heathrow terminals so would involve a change if you choose to use that bus.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is a big ASDA roghly equidistant between hounslow central and east tube stations on the Picadilly line.

All of those stores have a 'store location' function on their websites - put in the post code of your hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
A couple of responses have mentioned the OPs hotel. I doubt he has a hotel, more likely he has a few hours same day transit through heathrow
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
A couple of responses have mentioned the OPs hotel. I doubt he has a hotel, more likely he has a few hours same day transit through heathrow
Ahem. From the OP:
I’m thinking of stocking up the next time I’m going through Heathrow and so wanted to see what options are available during a layover. Alternatively, I might take an Uber or have Sainsbury’s etc deliver to my hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:30 am

apologies, i missed that
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
there is a tesco at slough station that the number 7 and number 8 buses go to from LHR. no oyster available on the 7 or 8 as its not one of the london buses (maybe first berkshire?)

there is also a sainsburys on the way into slough which I suspect these buses go past.

Also the 81 along the bath road goes past these supermarkets. Oyster is available on the 81. the 81 does not go past any heathrow terminals so would involve a change if you choose to use that bus.
This would be my choice too. I’ve stayed along Bath Road and taken bus 81 to either the big Sainsbury’s on the way into Slough (on the right hand side of the street heading from LHR to Slough) and an even bigger Tesco opposite the bus station terminus - last stop on the route.

I have done the trip a number of times. Easy on the bus, and you can use contactless debit or credit as well as Oyster card (£1.50 flat fare) but cash isn’t accepted.

I would allow 3 hours for the round trip including shopping.

enjoy!!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Tesco Superstore just south of Hatton Cross. Bus 285 from Heathrow Central Bus Station (Terminals 2&3) or Bus 490 from Terminal 5.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Asda Heston accessible from Heathrow Central, via bus 111.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I had checked Google Maps and Apple Maps prior to writing the post. My concerns were:
a) some of the stores appeared permanently closed but still came up in the search results (I did end up in a newspaper article about some disused Morrisons being used as a drug den now though!)
b) the maps generally did not offer vertical topographical features like gradient and stairwells at tube stations for example. I will have three to four suitcases to fill up on a range of goodies* which can be a little unwieldy to move around with. I have previously done similar shopping trips like this in other UK cities before catching a flight back to where I live outside of the UK but haven’t found a great option near Heathrow - and the gradients can sometimes be problematic (had a gradient issue near Gateshead few weeks back, for instance!).
c) others has asked similar questions in the past On FlyerTalk but the replies referenced supermarkets that have since closed - and so I thought it appropriate to try to seek some additional local knowledge, particularly given that the responses are likely more vetted than those on Google. I’m sorry that my thoughts were incorrect. Please forgive me and I’m sorry for the faux pais.

For full context, I haven’t decided whether I will be transiting through London, or spending a few days. My plans are unfixed at the moment. I haven’t organised a hotel but I might do (in which case I might organise a Ocado, etc).

Thank you for your help in giving me some guidance. Please forgive my asking and believe me when I tried looking at Google Maps beforehand.

I really appreciate the help you offered even though I seemed to have committed a faux pais!

*Irn Bru; Percy Pigs; Fondant Fancies; Cadbury Caramel; big tubs of Cadbury Roses. Essentially, lots of stuff from home to take back with me.

EDIT: I Might not do all 3-4 suitcases at once! I might make multiple trips!

Last edited by Simon Schus; Feb 11, 2020 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If you are going to be filling 3 or 4 suitcases then I would be considering using Gett or mytaxi to or from the hotel and not trying to use the tube or a bus If you are concerned about google listings being stale, just use the Sainsbury, Tesco, or Asda websites as noted above to locate the nearest store to your hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Personally, I'd get all the bulky stuff delivered, then go in person to a supermarket to enjoy looking around and pick up the stuff you didn't know you wanted.

BTW, Percy Pigs you'll only get from M&S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.