Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early to check in at Luton?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

How early to check in at Luton?

I'll be flying Easyjet LTN-TLV on a weekday morning in March with a checked bag and have paid for extra legroom, which lets me use the fast bag drop. I read on here that there's a good chance it will also get me fast track security, and if it doesn't, I'm happy to spring for it. I'll be staying at the HI Express that's walking distance from the terminal so don't need to budget extra time for road traffic (eyeballing it on the map, I believe I can do it in 10-15 minutes with my rolling suitcase).

I expect to be somewhat jetlagged after arriving from the US the evening before so would rather not force myself up earlier than necessary. If my flight leaves at 11:45, would getting to the the airport at around 10 or 10:15 leave me enough time to drop of the bag at least 40 mins pre-departure and get to the gate at least 30 minutes before departure?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yeah, that should be fine. It's not the busiest time of day at LTN, and, for all the airport's faults, they're pretty fast at security. Yes, you can do the HIX in that time - just head out and along the road under the taxiway, then up the side of the bus station on the easyJet Hangar side.

Do be aware that they do a "starting blocks" style of departure at LTN - they keep you in the departure lounge as long as possible, to the point that you tend to get a crowd forming under the monitors, waiting for the gate number (there's usually 4 or 5 put up at the same time). There is then a walking race to the gate - some can be a fair distance away. At the gate, people wait, indulging in one of the preferred British pastimes - queueing. There's little there apart from Tensabarriers, in most cases. Many flights have a very quick turnaround, so you may find yourself rushing to the gate, to join a boarding queue for a flight that's not yet landed. At least you're not on Ryanair, who will quite happily make you wait outside in the rain in a similar situation. So there's no need to get there too early.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Do be aware that they do a "starting blocks" style of departure at LTN - they keep you in the departure lounge as long as possible, to the point that you tend to get a crowd forming under the monitors, waiting for the gate number (there's usually 4 or 5 put up at the same time). There is then a walking race to the gate - some can be a fair distance away. At the gate, people wait, indulging in one of the preferred British pastimes - queueing. There's little there apart from Tensabarriers, in most cases. Many flights have a very quick turnaround, so you may find yourself rushing to the gate, to join a boarding queue for a flight that's not yet landed. At least you're not on Ryanair, who will quite happily make you wait outside in the rain in a similar situation. So there's no need to get there too early.
Thanks for the info. I saw Easyjet says they close the gate 30 minutes before departure - how long before these 30 minutes do they announce the gate?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yonatan
Thanks for the info. I saw Easyjet says they close the gate 30 minutes before departure - how long before these 30 minutes do they announce the gate?
In my experience at LTN they will announce the departure gate between 60 and 45 mins prior to departure.

On the monitors there will be a remark against your flight saying "gate will be announced at xx.xx"
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yup, 45 minutes is pretty common. It can be less.

They like you to get there early and queue to help with fast turnaround (which can be as little as 20 minutes). You'll have your passport and BP checked will in the queue, and will generally board a couple of minutes after the inbound passengers get off. They may get you to wait on the stairs or occasionally outside while they do the bits of cleaning they couldn't do on descent.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:42 am

We always ensure we are there 2 hours before
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
90 minutes will be fine
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
The general advice is to arrive -2h STD, however, in -1h30 you will be fine at that time of day. Gates are announced -50m, however for TLV flights they have known to announce at -1h.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.