Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Kapten, Uber and other ride services

Old Jan 7, 20, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Uber is presently once more under notice to quit London. They have been breaking the regulations about driver identity where unchecked friends etc borrow a registered driver's authority to drive. They have had to clean up their act once before and as they are the major and most popular provider here they will probably be able to do it again.
There are a number of competitors now, one of which is Kapten, a French operator providing an almost similar service. Their booking page and their maps look very familiar. To gain traction in London they have been offering some generous discounts. I have tried them about 20 times now. Their cars are all new clean and comfortable and their drivers are the same mix as Uber drivers and in fact many are driving for both services at the same time. They clearly have fewer cars available so far and can offer rather long waits.
One different feature is than on booking a ride they require your permission to debit your card right away and do so. My AmEx app tells me that the deduction is completed as the booking is accepted and well before they tell you what the wait time will be. Cancellation of too long a wait is easy and has not caused any refund problems, so far!
Following my recent (20th) ride the following day I received an invoice. It did not indicate that it had been paid nor that there was a zero balance. I was sure that it had been paid at the time and was able to see on my AmEx app that they had collected payment so asked Kapten what was going on. Their reply was that it was a legal obligation to supply an invoice though none had been sent for any of the preceding nineteen rides and Uber nor any of the other operators has ever invoiced me after a ride.
I am sure the Kapten is a reputable outfit but this does not look right and I have a serious doubt that it is a legal requirement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: