Wiki Posts
Search

What time to get to LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
What time to get to LHR?

Planning for a February trip, flying from LHR to SPU via FRA, and the first leg is on LH, leaving at 0830.

Now, I'm conscious that this is non-Schengen to non-Schengen, and I figure that if there are any immigration issues it'll be at SPU.

Looking at night-before options, I have family in East London, or the option of an hotel in the LHR area, or the insane possibility of a drive down on the morning.

Would an arrival in the terminal of 0700 be enough, or would that be madness? Flight's out of T2.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Schengen and immigration is not particularly relevant to when you arrive at LHR.

If you have fast track, no checked bags and have your boarding pass ready even an 0730 arrival into T2 would be acceptable. Obviously, you can't guarantee this if driving several hours. If travelling by tube from East London I would aim for 0700
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that aiming for 07:00 would be perfectly sensible. T2 is easy flowing IME.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I always do 90 minutes at T2 (no fast track mostly, but no checked luggage either) and this is plenty time to settle down for a cuppa (or cannoli and chinotto from the Italian place) then get some food to carry on board.. Actually, as I'm usually flying SAS, I often have time for several cuppas...

But it's going to be how you get to the airport that's key. The M25 can throw up some nasty surprises even at 7am.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
7am would be fine. Destination is not really a relevant factor, LH has the same cutoff if flying to Frankfurt or onwards to Timbuktu
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
90 minutes allows plenty of time for the excellent breakfast in the LH lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks very much for this. I'll have a look and see what options I have. I flew out of T2 about a year ago, and I seem to remember it's not a bad terminal as big airports go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.