Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - Transit with separate tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

LHR - Transit with separate tickets?

i have a aa flight from dfw to london next week....i wanted to find out if it was possible to buy a separate round ticket to paris and fly as a transit passenger without having to leave secure side with separate ticket or do i need to clear customs/visa and start a whole new journey....I am a usa citiizen.....werent sure of the visa rules/minimum stays and all this while brexit is going up in the air
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question isn’t specific to AA, I will send it to the UK & Ireland forum where the experts can give the best advice. I’ve also retitled the thread to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Microwave
Co-moderator, American AAdvantage
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ignore Brexit. It’s not going to affect you.

but yes it’s possible to transit in this way and remain airside so you only have a passport check and security.not immigration (which you will do in Paris) as part of the transit process.

BUT if you have luggage AA won’t tag it through to Paris in which case you would have to enter the U.K., collect your bags and then check them in with whichever airline you are using to get to Paris on.

Also if your AA flight is late and you miss your Paris flight AA won’t rebook you and nor will the onward airline unless you have a flexible ticket.

there is a very useful planner on the LHR website which explains the process.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Ignore Brexit. It’s not going to affect you.

but yes it’s possible to transit in this way and remain airside so you only have a passport check and security.not immigration (which you will do in Paris) as part of the transit process.

BUT if you have luggage AA won’t tag it through to Paris in which case you would have to enter the U.K., collect your bags and then check them in with whichever airline you are using to get to Paris on.

Also if your AA flight is late and you miss your Paris flight AA won’t rebook you and nor will the onward airline unless you have a flexible ticket.

there is a very useful planner on the LHR website which explains the process.

Got it thanks...I am traveling only with hand baggage no checkin... Will there be an issue "changing terminals" or are they considered airside as well I hope to buy a g light that would give me enough of a buffer...say 3-4 hours...where i could lounge it for a while and shower.... so then on the return back to UK via plane or Eurostar and depart from London a week later
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
No issue changing terminals. Just follow the purple signs for Flight Connections when you arrive from DFW and it will direct you down to a bus to Terminal 5. It's very smooth.

You can get this bus without needing to show any documents, but for peace of mind it might help to do online checkin for the Paris flight and have your BP on your phone. You can also check in once you reach the flight connections desks, but save yourself time and do it on your phone.

No passport check, but you will go through security at T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.